Is there any chance that Gausman does not sign?

Swampdonks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If KG signs for slot or just over, where does that put us with Poche and Velazquez ?

No idea what Poche is asking for. If they have to go more then 60K or so over for Gausman and Poche doesn't sign for under then there is no room to give Velazquez his 500K.

I assume he is a senior? I dont think they can force them to make a certain offer. It is possible that he could simply be made a free agent. This would be a very dangerous precedent to set though.

I wouldnt be surprised if this was a calculated move by the Marlins. They sign all their other guys. Then they low ball a college senior, and force MLB to make the call. If they force the Marlins to pay slot, then MLB is approving them spending over their cap #

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2012/07/miami-marlins-do-not-come-to-terms-with-first-round-pick-heaney.html

The Marlins’ proposed a $2.6 million signing bonus, $200,000 less than the slot amount for the ninth overall pick. Heaney, a left-hander out of Oklahoma State, asked for the full $2.8 million. Per club policy, the Marlins require a physical and full bloodwork before consummating a deal. They no longer have time to complete it before Friday’s deadline.

Heaney can return to Oklahoma State for his senior year, but the more likely scenario is a stint in independent ball. Icon Sports’ Rob Martin, Heaney’s advisor, could not be reached. Martin successfully negotiated 2009 first-round pick Chad James’ $1.7 milli0n bonus after the Marlins selected the prep lefty 18th overall.

I am totally fine with them not signing Gausman. I'd rather roll with the pick next year and hope there is an impact talent there. I don't think he is an impact talent...

I'm sort of thinking this way as well. I'm just not sure this guy is worth over slot money.

I am totally fine with them not signing Gausman. I'd rather roll with the pick next year and hope there is an impact talent there. I don't think he is an impact talent...

Next year class is worse.

Gausman was our 4th pick. If there wasn't impact talent at the 4th pick this year, the probability isn't high there will be impact talent at the 5th pick next year.

The kid has a slot recommendation number attached to his draft spot. He has no reason not to try and get that amount. I'll consider him greedy if it comes out that he was holding out for over slot. As long as he's going for slot or less, I have no problem with kid trying to get as much as he can. It's not his worry or concern how his bonus effects others.

Needed an extra $120k to sign him. Money that we may have been able to get Poche or Velazquez to sign.

Greed now?

Needed an extra $120k to sign him. Money that we may have been able to get Poche or Velazquez to sign.

Greed now?

If they wanted to sign either of them, they would have. Top pitcher in the draft how about that. I'm happy to have him for slightly over slot.

If they wanted to sign either of them, they would have. Top pitcher in the draft how about that. I'm happy to have him for slightly over slot.

He was the first pitcher selected in the draft, that doesn't necessarily equate to top pitcher in the draft. The Astros offered Appel the roughly 4 million that Gausman told them he would sign for. That tells me that at least one team had Appel over Gausman. I am guessing there was more then that.

They should have saved enough to sign the 15th round pick.

How would they have signed them? They couldn't use extra money to get them? They could have drafted an extra college senior in the Top 10 but that would have been the only other way to make this work.

He was the first pitcher selected in the draft, that doesn't necessarily equate to top pitcher in the draft. The Astros offered Appel the roughly 4 million that Gausman told them he would sign for. That tells me that at least one team had Appel over Gausman. I am guessing there was more then that.

They should have saved enough to sign the 15th round pick.

I thought Gausman said he would sign for $5M?

Archived