More importantly, O's inducting Rich Dauer into the Hall of Fame Saturday!

Tony-OH

I'm happy for Rich Dauer! Before advanced stats and metrics, Dauer was the kind of guy that had a major league career due to the fact he rarely made errors and rarely struck out. Pretty good number two hitter for a number of years. I won't be there due to the Yankee going in with him, but I will be applauding a good Oriole going into the Orioles hall of fame! Congrats Rich!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a HUGE Dauer fan growing up, and I'm happy to see him inducted into the HOF.

But really? More important than Mussina? ;)

I liked Dauer a lot when he played, but by today's metrics, he was pretty mediocre. 83 OPS+, 12.4 rWAR for his career. Davey Johnson, Bobby Grich, Roberto Alomar and Brian Roberts certainly were all significantly better than Dauer. Still, I don't begrudge him a spot in the Orioles Hall of Fame, as he was a regular contributor on some great teams.

I was a HUGE Dauer fan growing up, and I'm happy to see him inducted into the HOF.

But really? More important than Mussina? ;)

Absolutely! He was an Oriole and didnt sell his soul to take the MFY dollars. What Mussina did is not acceptable and he should not be going in the Orioles HOF because of it!

Absolutely! He was an Oriole and didnt sell his soul to take the MFY dollars. What Mussina did is not acceptable and he should not be going in the Orioles HOF because of it!

Because he made a choice that was of his own? Rafael Palmeiro not being in because of the PED bust, I get that. That happened WHILE he was an Oriole. Not free agency, not after he had left, while he was STILL with the team. Mussina is going in the Orioles Hall of Fame because of what he did WHILE he was an Oriole. If you can't separate the two, well, sorry.

Because he made a choice that was of his own? Rafael Palmeiro not being in because of the PED bust, I get that. That happened WHILE he was an Oriole. Not free agency, not after he had left, while he was STILL with the team. Mussina is going in the Orioles Hall of Fame because of what he did WHILE he was an Oriole. If you can't separate the two, well, sorry.

I agree with Shane. Please mark down the time and date! :D

I liked Dauer a lot when he played, but by today's metrics, he was pretty mediocre. 83 OPS+, 12.4 rWAR for his career. Davey Johnson, Bobby Grich, Roberto Alomar and Brian Roberts certainly were all significantly better than Dauer. Still, I don't begrudge him a spot in the Orioles Hall of Fame, as he was a regular contributor on some great teams.

I really think that's his calling card. Like you said, when you look at his stats by today's statistical measurements, he looks like a pretty ordinary if not below average player. But Dauer was a solid player on some great teams and I think this is what gets him the nod. He's kind of like our Phil Rizzuto without the one very good year.

Yes, I threw that dig at Mu$$ina in there, but I truly want this thread to be about Dauer. We've beaten the Moose horse to death.

How is what he did not acceptable? I hate the Yankees like everyone here but I can't add to the hatred towards Mussina. His leaving was much Angelos's fault as it was his ultimate decision. The Orioles were a mess of an organization that was completely falling apart at the time. Mussina is a smart guy (Stanford) and saw that he could make more money to play for a functional, winning organization.....or stay put and make less money to play for a loser with an organization that was free falling. The next 12 consecutive losing seasons after his departure were not his fault. I hated to see him as a Yankee, but he was one of the best pitchers ever to wear the Oriole uniform and to ignore someone with his accomplishments as an Oriole while inducting a long time role player like Rich Dauer (who is still deserving in his own right) would be pretty petty in my opinion.

If Mussina had gone to the Dodgers none of this controversy would exist. We loved Mussina as an Oriole and seeing him as a Yankee was salt in a very large wound. I felt that too! But can anyone really say he made a poor decision? If I was him I would have never signed with the Yankees, but that's because I grew up HATING the Yankees. Do we really expect every Oriole player to share that same deeply seeded hatred, when they grew up with their own set of teams they rooted for? I still don't understand how someone like Teixeira can grow up in the area and root for the Yankees, but that bewilderment is only in my head because I'm an Oriole die hard. We treat him and Mussina as if we have some sort of unintellectual property over their careers.

I understand holding a grudge for Mussina if you're an O's fan and I don't judge anyone for that. But if you're one of the crowd that boo him on Saturday, I sure as hell judge you for that. Show a little class.

Had Dauer been offered a large free agent contract, he would certainly have taken it.

Yes, I threw that dig at Mu$$ina in there, but I truly want this thread to be about Dauer. We've beaten the Moose horse to death.

I agree. Let's keep this about Dauer.

One thing I remember about him that was pretty distinctive, was that he often would get down on one knee to field a ground ball. There was absolutely no way he was going to let a grounder get through his legs.

I always felt comfortable when Dauer was up with a runner on 3B and less than 2 out, because he rarely struck out or popped up. However, in looking at his career numbers, he was very effective in those situations in the middle part of his career (64% success rate from 1978-82; 51% is average), but not so good at the beginning or the end. His career success rate of 54% was just a little bit above average.

And here is a pretty impressive stat -- Dauer was successful on 44 of 45 sacrifice bunts in his career. If you're going to bunt, at least do it right.

I remember reading an article about Dauer in The Sporting News in the spring if 1977.

The title of the article was, "The Orioles Think they Struck it Rich in Dauer."

As well they might have. He hit something like .330 his last year in Rochester.

Also not mentioned yet here (though probably in the PR material), is that his single season 86 straight errorless games and 425 straight errorless chances are both still AL records.

Archived