Rick Dempsey's Hyperbole-of-the-Night

Catch 8

Once again I will say that people seem to take this way too seriously. It's just the color guy for your local team.

TBH I usually have the sound off anyway so I can watch in peace, but when compelled to listen he doesn't bother me any more then the PBP guy. If you want CY facts look them up yourself, which you obviously did anyway.

Sorry, but when we go from a limousine to a Pinto, it's kinda jarring.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Rick Dempsey and love his commentary. It's great to have someone with such a deep knowledge of the organization and the city on the air. I watch games on mlb.com, so I hear other teams commentators often. Rick is well above average in my opinion. And the hyperboles just make me smile, they show his enthusiasm for the team. Orioles Magic.

I have mlb.tv and I listen to other commentators all season long as well. I must say I heartily disagree with you. Maybe Dempsey is average among the 3rd string color guys (of that, I have no clue), but he doesn't sniff a candle to any of the 30 primary color guys in the sport. He's not even in the same conversation given that he's not great at getting sentences out nor does he have any semblance of accuracy in his facts. As Wedge said earlier, he's not even as good as McCarver... which is very hard to do.

Once again I will say that people seem to take this way too seriously. It's just the color guy for your local team.

TBH I usually have the sound off anyway so I can watch in peace, but when compelled to listen he doesn't bother me any more then the PBP guy. If you want CY facts look them up yourself, which you obviously did anyway.

Maybe we should look at inept local color guys as unintentional humor. If we're expecting tragically funny incompetence we relieve MASN and the other RSNs of actually having to go out and find quality announcers. Eventually that savings of resources will trickle down and the O's will be able to sign a few extra $5k Dominican prospects.

I hate that he says "we" about the team as he does color.

Really? I guess I'm ok with my local announcers saying "we" occasionally. I mean at the end of the day, I don't want Hawk Harrelson but I don't want a disconnected robot either. Saying "we" is probably 2,578 on my list of things that bother me about Rick Dempsey announcing.

I love Rick Dempsey and love his commentary. It's great to have someone with such a deep knowledge of the organization and the city on the air. I watch games on mlb.com, so I hear other teams commentators often. Rick is well above average in my opinion. And the hyperboles just make me smile, they show his enthusiasm for the team. Orioles Magic.

Rick, I think you made a mistake on the last name of your username. ;) Thansk for the World Series heroics!

Not that your (his) fact needed to be rebutted, but just so everyone is aware of the facts...

Saunders' only ASG appearence was in 2008 but he didn't even get a vote for the Cy Young that year (those that got votes: Lincecum, Webb, Santana, Lidge, Sabathia, Dempster).

It's one thing to spout out ridiculous opinions (e.g., Hardy is the best SS I've ever seen when Dempsey has literally seen 2 of the best SS to ever play the game), but it's another to spout out incorrect facts like Saunders has ever been involved in Cy Young conversation. I love what he did for the organization 25 years ago but I really hope he's fired after this season. He's just not any good at this job.

I would be stunned if that happened, if ever. Justified or not, there's a certain contingent of casual Orioles fans that I've no doubt would complain if Dempsey were fired, all because of the fact that he played here for a long time, and say the O's are disrespecting their past and history.

Really? I guess I'm ok with my local announcers saying "we" occasionally. I mean at the end of the day, I don't want Hawk Harrelson but I don't want a disconnected robot either. Saying "we" is probably 2,578 on my list of things that bother me about Rick Dempsey announcing.

Once in a while wouldn't bug me. He does it more often than not. It probably bugs me more because it's kind of a sign that he never left the field, mentally.

I have mlb.tv and I listen to other commentators all season long as well. I must say I heartily disagree with you. Maybe Dempsey is average among the 3rd string color guys (of that, I have no clue), but he doesn't sniff a candle to any of the 30 primary color guys in the sport. He's not even in the same conversation given that he's not great at getting sentences out nor does he have any semblance of accuracy in his facts. As Wedge said earlier, he's not even as good as McCarver... which is very hard to do.

Sniff a candle?

Archived