No Gausman thread??

Fan4Life

I don't think he's playing games, but Buck rarely makes definitive statements one way or the other. Has he ever said "No, there's no chance of that happening"? Not that I know of. But I very much doubt Bundy was ever seriously considered for a promotion, for a variety of reasons. He was solid but not dominant in AA. The innings limit. He's inexperienced. He's still developing his change-up. If they called him up, they would pretty much have to let him use his cutter, which would be counter-productive to their current handling of him, whether you agree with the method or not. If he were called up, he would throw out of the pen, but the pen is already a big strength. The team never needed Bundy in the way it needed Machado.

Almost all of the discussion about a Bundy promotion was speculation from the fans and the media, but I bet it was never really on the table for the front office. I suspect the earliest we'll see Bundy is late next summer, and that's only if the Orioles are satisfied with his change up. I doubt we'll see Gausman until 2014.

There's no need to rush the pitchers. Just look at Tampa Bay, which obviously knows something about developing young starters. They always give their guys plenty of time in the minors.

David Price had 19 starts in the minors before being called up to the majors in 2008 (109.2 innings). Him starting 2009 in the minors was more about service time then development.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he's playing games, but Buck rarely makes definitive statements one way or the other. Has he ever said "No, there's no chance of that happening"? Not that I know of. But I very much doubt Bundy was ever seriously considered for a promotion, for a variety of reasons. He was solid but not dominant in AA. The innings limit. He's inexperienced. He's still developing his change-up. If they called him up, they would pretty much have to let him use his cutter, which would be counter-productive to their current handling of him, whether you agree with the method or not. If he were called up, he would throw out of the pen, but the pen is already a big strength. The team never needed Bundy in the way it needed Machado.

Almost all of the discussion about a Bundy promotion was speculation from the fans and the media, but I bet it was never really on the table for the front office. I suspect the earliest we'll see Bundy is late next summer, and that's only if the Orioles are satisfied with his change up. I doubt we'll see Gausman until 2014.

There's no need to rush the pitchers. Just look at Tampa Bay, which obviously knows something about developing young starters. They always give their guys plenty of time in the minors.

I have never advocated "rushing" any Oriole pitchers, including Bundy.

If we had brought him up this year, that would have been rushing him, and I am on record as having said that I am glad that we aren't bringing him up now in one of the Bundy threads. My reference to the Orioles considering the possibility of bringing him up this year was to contrast the fact that a promotion to the Orioles in early June of 2013 wouldn't necessarily be rushing him, not because I was one of the people that wanted to see him here this season.

If we start Bundy in the majors next season in April, that would probably be rushing him also.

What I stated was that I hope that after 2 full months at AA and/or AAA to start the 2013 season, I would like to see him with the Orioles in early June, provided that he dominates for at least one of those 2 months (the latter month, of course.)

If Bundy pitches badly in AA and/or AAA in the first 2 months of 2013, or if he just pitches decently (but not excellent), then I don't want to see him called up in early June. That's why I said "I hope."

Bundy in early June, Gausman in early August ........ I hope.

Archived