No Gausman thread??

Fan4Life

I get why they are doing this, but it kind of sucks for the guys who were with Bowie as they were making their playoff push to have some new player who contributed nothing take away their playoff playing time.

I think the O's are more worried about progress of thier prospects then about winning double A playoffs.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bundy in early June, Gausman in early August ........ I hope.

That's pretty aggressive on both fronts, I think. And, it depends on how the Orioles are pitching. In the ideal world, we'd be getting good performances from five starting pitchers and could afford to be patient with Bundy and Gausman.

I think an intriguing question is where will Gausman start next year. I would think Frederick, but I could see the reasoning behind having him start in Bowie.

Also, that would give you an idea on where the Organization sees Gausman and what his timeline is to being in Baltimore

That's pretty aggressive on both fronts, I think. And, it depends on how the Orioles are pitching. In the ideal world, we'd be getting good performances from five starting pitchers and could afford to be patient with Bundy and Gausman.

Considering that there was talk of Bundy possibly being called up this month, I don't see how starting him in AA and/or AAA for 2 full months next year and bringing him up to the majors in early June is particularly aggressive.

And giving Gausman 4 full months at AA and AAA to start next year before calling him up doesn't seem to be particularly aggressive either, especially in light of the fact that he (unlike Bundy) pitched for 2 years in Division-I baseball in the Southeastern Conference for LSU, and the fact that we already slotted his brief 2012 professional career at Advanced-A to finish the regular season, and a game at AA for the playoffs.

Considering that there was talk by crazy people of Bundy possibly being called up this month, I don't see how starting him in AA and/or AAA for 2 full months next year and bringing him up to the majors in early June is particularly aggressive.

I fixed that for you. ;)

I expect Bundy to start next year in AA, though it wouldn't floor me if he started in AAA. Either way, I think he needs to have at least 15 starts or so in the high minors next year, and he needs to do very well, in order to be looked at in Baltimore.

If the O's had brought him up this year, it would have just been to throw an occasional relief inning or get a start in some meaningless situation, all with the idea that he was going back to the minors next year. But when he's called up in 2013, the intention will be that he is done with the minors and is ready to be a major league starter. There's a big difference.

I fixed that for you. ;)

Showalter was asked about Bundy being promoted to the Orioles a few weeks ago, and he didn't deny it nor affirm it.

I wouldn't call Showalter "crazy," and I believe that the fact that he didn't deny it necessarily insinuates that it had been a possibility.

Showalter was asked about Bundy being promoted to the Orioles a few weeks ago, and he didn't deny it nor affirm it.

I wouldn't call Showalter "crazy," and I believe that the fact that he didn't deny it necessarily insinuates that it had been a possibility.

To me, the fact that Buck didn't deny it is just Buck being Buck, having fun letting people speculate.

Now, I will say this -- on last night's broadcast, Jim Palmer made some remarks suggesting that Bundy could make the club out of spring training next year, as Palmer did in 1965 after just one season in the minors. Palmer never played AA or AAA before his promotion.

But this isn't 1965. I am confident that Bundy will pitch in the majors some time in 2013, but based on things Duquette has said about the importance of AA, I don't think Bundy is going to have only superficial exposure at that level.

To me, the fact that Buck didn't deny it is just Buck being Buck, having fun letting people speculate.

To me, Buck doesn't play games like that. If he was absolutely certain that there was no way at all that Bundy would have been called up, he would have said so. He wasn't, so he didn't.

To me, Buck doesn't play games like that. If he was absolutely certain that there was no way at all that Bundy would have been called up, he would have said so. He wasn't, so he didn't.

I don't think he's playing games, but Buck rarely makes definitive statements one way or the other. Has he ever said "No, there's no chance of that happening"? Not that I know of. But I very much doubt Bundy was ever seriously considered for a promotion, for a variety of reasons. He was solid but not dominant in AA. The innings limit. He's inexperienced. He's still developing his change-up. If they called him up, they would pretty much have to let him use his cutter, which would be counter-productive to their current handling of him, whether you agree with the method or not. If he were called up, he would throw out of the pen, but the pen is already a big strength. The team never needed Bundy in the way it needed Machado.

Almost all of the discussion about a Bundy promotion was speculation from the fans and the media, but I bet it was never really on the table for the front office. I suspect the earliest we'll see Bundy is late next summer, and that's only if the Orioles are satisfied with his change up. I doubt we'll see Gausman until 2014.

There's no need to rush the pitchers. Just look at Tampa Bay, which obviously knows something about developing young starters. They always give their guys plenty of time in the minors.

Archived