Rodriguez meets with Michigan

Sports Guy

Well Terry Bowden is apparently very interested.

Is he really? How's his TV job?

He first coached near WVU at Salem College when his dad was at HC at WVU. Jimbo Fisher was his QB. Then Samford (in Birmingham). Then, when Auburn fired Pat Dye over NCAA violations, he walked into Auburn, took Dye's' players who went 5-5-1 the year before, and ran the dang table. Beat Bama and everything. 11-0. Finished 4th in the AP poll. (No bowl, because of Dye's shennanigans.) Almost as good the next year, lost to Bama right at the end though. Longest Auburn win streak ever. Then a couple or three years of so-so (by Auburn standards). Then he quit in mid-season amid the Usual Auburn Booster Intrigue about behind-the-back coaching changes. That's when he went to TV. The intrigue had been about getting Tuberville.

He started out great and super-energy, but then he seemed to get kinda flat. He started my theory that maybe some of the wide guys can't recruit a team. His teams clobbered everybody when he was using inherited players. With his own players, he didn't do so hot. Several were very good, several went to the NFL. But the team was never as good as when he was using inherited guys. I thought it was just him, maybe it was. But then a similar thing happened to Fridge at MD. And then a similar thing happened Charlie at N.D. So, now I'm wondering if wide guys don't make a good impression when they're sitting in Mom and Dad's living room. I just wonder.

EDIT: No way is he fat like Fridge and Charlie. Compared to them, he's a string-bean. But we was kinda roly-poly. 'Looked like a chipmunk who ate too much.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the link for you rshack: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3158563

Says it would be the dream job for him.

Thanks. I'm sorta puzzled by part of this quote from it:

"I made a full commitment to get back into coaching almost two years ago. Coming home to West Virginia would obviously be the dream job for me," Bowden, a college football analyst on radio and for Yahoo! Sports, said in a statement released by his publicist.

The "coming home" part makes sense to me. It's the "I made a full commitment 2 years ago" that I don't understand. He made a full commitment to get back into coaching 2 years ago, but he hasn't done anything yet? Or did he get a coordinator's job someplace and I just missed it? Has he done any coaching since he made his full commitment 2 years ago?

No question the guy can coach. You don't go on a 20-game win streak in the SEC if you can't. It's just that he somehow always makes me feel like I'm about to get talked into buying a car I don't really want, that's all...

Is he really? How's his TV job?

He first coached near WVU at Salem College when his dad was at HC at WVU. Jimbo Fisher was his QB. Then Samford (in Birmingham). Then, when Auburn fired Pat Dye over NCAA violations, he walked into Auburn, took Dye's' players who went 5-5-1 the year before, and ran the dang table. Beat Bama and everything. 11-0. Finished 4th in the AP poll. (No bowl, because of Dye's shennanigans.) Almost as good the next year, lost to Bama right at the end though. Longest Auburn win streak ever. Then a couple or three years of so-so (by Auburn standards). Then he quit in mid-season amid the Usual Auburn Booster Intrigue about behind-the-back coaching changes. That's when he went to TV. The intrigue had been about getting Tuberville.

He started out great and super-energy, but then he seemed to get kinda flat. He started my theory that maybe some of the wide guys can't recruit a team. His teams clobbered everybody when he was using inherited players. With his own players, he didn't do so hot. Several were very good, several went to the NFL. But the team was never as good as when he was using inherited guys. I thought it was just him, maybe it was. But then a similar thing happened to Fridge at MD. And then a similar thing happened Charlie at N.D. So, now I'm wondering if wide guys don't make a good impression when they're sitting in Mom and Dad's living room. I just wonder.

EDIT: No way is he fat like Fridge and Charlie. Compared to them, he's a string-bean. But we was kinda roly-poly. 'Looked like a chipmunk who ate too much.

Rodriguez is brilliant at developing his offense but his game day coaching leaves a lot to be desired. He's so stubborn that he refuses to adjust if something isn't working. Bowden, in the short term could be a guy who could take the talent inherited at WVU to the next level but I don't think he'd make a good long term hire. The reason is recruiting although I don't buy the wide coach theory. I'm also not sure that Weiss fits your theory, recruiting talent has not been Charlie Weiss' problem at ND.

Most of Terry's problems at Auburn stemmed from personal life issues. I will proclaim I have an insider on this, because I do. Terry is a very good coach and I would think he would have success at WVU he understands recruiting and is a good Xs and Os guy. I really thought he may never get a job coaching again he made some very important people very upset.

Never good to have your prize coach walk away. But... you never know what good will come of it. Look at the fortunate turn-around that Illinois is experiencing. When Zook was canned at Florida, who could have predicted his effect on another program?

I'm sure WVU football will recover.

Most of Terry's problems at Auburn stemmed from personal life issues. I will proclaim I have an insider on this, because I do. Terry is a very good coach and I would think he would have success at WVU he understands recruiting and is a good Xs and Os guy. I really thought he may never get a job coaching again he made some very important people very upset.

I have a source on this too. I wonder if there is any chance it is the same one? Anyway, seems that he had a little problem with a booster's wife in Auburn. The same source basically told me that Tommy and Terry are the offensive masterminds of the family with Jeff not being that smart offensively, hence the reason he got fired at FSI.

Also, he said that he is a great recruiter and this is really a dream job for him - he's not just saying it

• 2 weeks later...

I am ecstatic about the job Stewart did getting the team to play up to their potential in a big game. However I'm not sure he's the right guy for the long term... Reminds me a lot about how Larry Coker got the job in Miami and while things worked out great in the short term, in the long term it was a hiring that hurt the program.

My guess is this is a short term hire anyways. This team will be more loaded for 2008 than it was for this year. Stew will hold everyone together and it looks like Slaton and White will be back for another run at the MNC next year.

I do think if they had a slam dunk hire, they would have gone in a different direction regardless. I'd bet the hire would have been made before the game last night.

Wouldn't surprise me if Stew lasts 2 years and then a bigger name is brought in.

I have a source on this too. I wonder if there is any chance it is the same one? Anyway, seems that he had a little problem with a booster's wife in Auburn. The same source basically told me that Tommy and Terry are the offensive masterminds of the family with Jeff not being that smart offensively, hence the reason he got fired at FSI.

Also, he said that he is a great recruiter and this is really a dream job for him - he's not just saying it

That story is close but it was a daughter of a very, very high powered guy from Birmingham. Maybe she was somebodies wife also, but I know who her father was and it was someone you don't mess with in the State of Alabama.

As for the source I doubt it is the same. I am very close friends with a guy that started on AU's national championship team in the 50's. He is a huge contributor to the school, the kind that could have a building named for him someday. He has remained very connected with the program and actually reported to me first hand information. It is a shame that Terry fell into a situation like that because I think he is a very good coach, however the powers at AU really wanted to keep Terry from ever coaching if they could. It got very personal.

I am ecstatic about the job Stewart did getting the team to play up to their potential in a big game. However I'm not sure he's the right guy for the long term... Reminds me a lot about how Larry Coker got the job in Miami and while things worked out great in the short term, in the long term it was a hiring that hurt the program.

Yeah it doesn't bother me much either way. I don't know if he was the right guy for the job or not, but it was going to be real hard not to hire him after winning last night and having the whole team basically endorse him.

My guess is this is a short term hire anyways. This team will be more loaded for 2008 than it was for this year. Stew will hold everyone together and it looks like Slaton and White will be back for another run at the MNC next year.

I do think if they had a slam dunk hire, they would have gone in a different direction regardless. I'd bet the hire would have been made before the game last night.

Wouldn't surprise me if Stew lasts 2 years and then a bigger name is brought in.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too...it's probably only a year or two contract. Even if he's not the right guy for the job, he's basically getting his shot and inheriting a loaded team like Larry Coker did. Like I said after getting endorsed by the entire team for the job...it was going to be hard to save face if they didn't give him the job.

Yeah if they could have gotten a Jimbo Fisher or Nick Saban...I'm sure they would have done that.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too...it's probably only a year or two contract. Even if he's not the right guy for the job, he's basically getting his shot and inheriting a loaded team like Larry Coker did. Like I said after getting endorsed by the entire team for the job...it was going to be hard to save face if they didn't give him the job.

Yeah if they could have gotten a Jimbo Fisher or Nick Saban...I'm sure they would have done that.

I couldn't agree more.

Archived