UConn (1-1) @ Maryland (2-0)

Munson

Listen, I don't have the time or the inclination to go through every post of yours vis a vis the Edsall hiring. All I know is, if you're trying to present yourself as some sort of unbiased commentator on the Edsall era you ain't fooling me, or anyone else that has read your posts over the last year plus.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want me to give outlandish praise for Edsall, well, he better start winning first. 4-11 with half of those wins being completely unimpressive and against schools a whole level lower, is simply not good. Yes, I've been critical and unimpressed. I've never argued otherwise. But he's also going to be here for a while, so I may as well try to find some reason to hope he does better. And I can do that.

Why do you keep going back to O'Brien? You trash a college kid for transferring schools like he stole your sister and your girlfriend when he left. He stunk last year. He's off to a rough start this year. But he's gone. I wish him well and hold nothing against him. I wish he had stayed, but as a college kid, you're supposed to do what you feel is best for your future. He got his degree and moved on. You should move on, too.

If you want me to give outlandish praise for Edsall, well, he better start winning first. 4-11 with half of those wins being completely unimpressive and against schools a whole level lower, is simply not good. Yes, I've been critical and unimpressed. I've never argued otherwise. But he's also going to be here for a while, so I may as well try to find some reason to hope he does better. And I can do that.

Why do you keep going back to O'Brien? You trash a college kid for transferring schools like he stole your sister and your girlfriend when he left. He stunk last year. He's off to a rough start this year. But he's gone. I wish him well and hold nothing against him. I wish he had stayed, but as a college kid, you're supposed to do what you feel is best for your future. He got his degree and moved on. You should move on, too.

Because, if I'm not mistaken, the benching and subsequent transfer of DOB was one of your key points in your constant Edsall trashing. Now that it appears Edsall may have been correct all along (i.e. DOB is not that good) instead of owning up to that, you choose to sweep it under the rug.

Yes, replace a guy who was the reigning rookie of the year with a QB who can't throw. The problem began with building an offense around a guy not suited for it. Making players adapt to your system rather than installing a system that plays to your talent's strengths. Can't say I've seen much of Wisconsin this year. Now that I put some thought in it, I saw a little bit of his game against Oregon State because I had no power at my house last Saturday after thunderstorms came through. That too made it hard to post on here immediately following the game. And then I rolled outta town for a few days.

Meanwhile, you keep dogging me for being frustrated with Edsall, but what has he done right? I readily admit he's recruiting very good talent that bodes well for the future. And his two coordinators this year both seem to be significant boosts for the program. It's baby steps in the right direction after a disastrous start. But because I point out one area in one game where the coaching let the team down, you jump on me like a rabid dog. Maybe I overrate the players on the field. But Edsall's record stinks. I'd like it to be better, but it's not. And when you go 2-10, and when half of the games you've won are struggles over I-AA competition, you're going to be second guessed. And there is plenty of proof that I'm not the only one concerned. I've said things are getting better and that there's reason for optimism. But you talk like he's the greatest coach in the history of Maryland football already. Well, where's the proof that he's as good as you suggest? Any why are you jumping my S over it all? Sorry I'm not full of sunshine yet, but the sunrise is a gradual process in this world. It's not like turning on a light switch. And if the time comes where Maryland is good and matching or even exceeding what Friedgen did in his earl years, then I'll happily give Edsall credit and admit I was wrong about him. But it hasn't happened yet. Surely you've noticed that.

Likewise, when Edsall says the two minute offense wasn't good, are you saying he doesn't know what he's talking about and that it was good? I know you have to keep expectations low in that situation with so many freshmen on the field, but I didn't see any reason for not using either of the final two timeouts to settle things down and make sure you're on the right page. That's on the coaches to call timeout and get everyone together. Didn't happen. Oh well. There was no guarantee they would have won the game otherwise. But I think it would have helped.

But since Edsall agrees with me, and I've been a vocal critic going back to last year, that means in reality Edsall is wrong? Tell me what went so great about that final drive?

Why was O'Brien benched anyways? His stats look fine to me. Seems like they didn't give him many chances to throw against Utah State. I think it's too early to write him off, still could come back to bite Edsall in the butt big time.

Archived