Fill in the blank: The last time the Orioles had a winning season, I was...

Goop

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 40 years old, married, with kids ages 7, 4 and 1. I still have the same job, same wife, same kids, but one's graduated college, one's in college and the baby is a junior in high school. Oh, and I got a dog who is now 13 years old.

My 19-year old son is a big O's fan and I'm kind of sorry he's 800 miles away right now, only able to follow the team on the Internet. I promised him I'd fly him home if I was able to get playoff tickets and the O's made it.

Last time they had a winning record, I was unmarried (though living with my future wife), and spending 3-4 months per year on tour with my band. It's exactly like my life now, except instead of touring, I take my kids to their baseball and soccer games, and do a lot of grocery shopping!

18 living in North Dakota. Still upset with Dennis Martinez hitting Kirby Puckett in the eye with a fast ball. Once Puckett retired, I dunno, I guess that I was more a fan of his than the team. I also didn't like how it all ended, his association with the team and his life in general, so the memories of the Twins are still a little painful for me.

My father knew the AD at the University of Iowa. My pops was always a big Mike Boddicker fan because of this. We'd try to see the Orioles play at the Metrodome every year. I wouldn't say that I was an O's fan, but the first series that I recall seeing was one in 84 vs. the Birds fresh off their championship. I remember LOVING the cartoon bird logo.

Anyway, moved to Baltimore in 2004. Baseball has always my passion, so I went to 20 games or so that first year...been hooked ever since, despite their terribleness. Married now with a 1.5 year old son who's been to 30-40 games. His whole room is decked in O's memorabilia. I live my life vicariously through him. He's scared to death of the Bird at the games, and he wakes up talking to the Cartoon Bird fathead above his crib.

I was 21 years old... preparing for life on the west coast, having just been accepted to Whittier College. I remember looking at my car and thinking, "There's no way in hell that thing is going to get me there." 1992 Honda Civic 5 speed with 280K+ miles on it.

It got me there and back 4 times before I crashed it into a statue.

I was a first year grad student at the U. of South Carolina. After reading this thread, I thought, "There have to be some other teams (fans) who are experiencing the same thing right now." To my disgust, the only other franchise without a winning record in the same period is the Pirates. They haven't posted one since 1993. Even the Royals had a winning record in 2003. This has been one long, pathetic losing streak. Good riddance.

I hope in 15 years we will be asking, "Tell us about you the last time the Os had a LOSING season." That would be special.

Wow, a lot of young'uns in here.

I had just turned 40 and my life was swirling in a lot of ways. But I expected the Orioles to be back the next year to finish what they could not in '96 and '97. Then Davey was gone and the long dark spiral began. Since then I have gotten divorced, lost my job, got hired to the job I still have, remarried, lost my father, seen my older son safely complete a tour in Afghanistan and get married. And finally got to see the Orioles play meaningful games in September again.

I want this to become the new normal, instead of what it has been for the past 15 years.

Archived