Amidst all the pennant race joy, I do feel bad for Brian Roberts

glenn__davis

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagine what a healthy Brian Roberts could have done for this team. I think its safe to assume he could have played a major role in getting 2-3 more wins and with the division being this painfully close it could have made a world of difference. Of course, you never know. His production could have fallen off a cliff and be worse than what we've had at second base this season but I somehow doubt that.

O's second basemen are hitting .216/.277/.323 on the year, with something like -3 to -5 runs on defense. It wouldn't take much to add on 1-2 wins.

How much worse would they have been if they literally left the 9 spot in the lineup empty all season and had no 2b?

O's second basemen are hitting .216/.277/.323 on the year, with something like -3 to -5 runs on defense. It wouldn't take much to add on 1-2 wins.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

This is a bit premature but....

If we have the first home playoff game in 15 years, Roberts would be who I want throwing out the first pitch. All of the o's legend experienced success, he hasn't. It would be a mini tribute to the guys like all of us who stuck around thru the bad times. The people where this season means more than you can put in to words.

Plus he deserves the ovation.

Speaking of first pitches, it occurred to me during the game last night that the O's should have Ed Reed throw out the first pitch in one of the games this weekend. He'll be free since the Ravens have already played, and he's been tweeting quite a bit about the O's lately. Plus that whole thing where they showed him doing the 'O' in the national anthem Sunday night. He's clearly paying attention and I would bet he'd love to do it. The Ravens have really done a nice job opening their arms to the O's these last few weeks, this would be a nice gesture in the opposite direction.

I don't know. Maybe I'm cold-hearted, but I don't have any sympathy for him really because of the first two reasons you gave. He's not some self-sacrificing guy who's going to give up this year's or next year's money because he's not there, money the team really needs to use somewhere. He's making business decisions and good for him.

If Brian Roberts was all about maximizing his personal weath and his fame and fortune he'd have bailed on Baltimore and their inept management the minute he hit free agency. But he stuck it out for the long haul despite absolutely no assurances he'd ever see a good team here.

Bit of Roberts trivia - the only professional teams he's ever played on with winning records are the 2012 Orioles and the 2003 Ottawa Lynx. He didn't finish the season with either.

Speaking of first pitches, it occurred to me during the game last night that the O's should have Ed Reed throw out the first pitch in one of the games this weekend. He'll be free since the Ravens have already played, and he's been tweeting quite a bit about the O's lately. Plus that whole thing where they showed him doing the 'O' in the national anthem Sunday night. He's clearly paying attention and I would bet he'd love to do it. The Ravens have really done a nice job opening their arms to the O's these last few weeks, this would be a nice gesture in the opposite direction.

There was a very loud 'O' during the anthem Sunday at the DC United match at RFK.

How much worse would they have been if they literally left the 9 spot in the lineup empty all season and had no 2b?

O's second basemen have successfully fielded 746 chances this year. If each of those were turned into a single they'd have allowed roughly 350 more runs. So if the O's had just played eight you can assume they'd have won ~35 fewer games.

:)

If Brian Roberts was all about maximizing his personal weath and his fame and fortune he'd have bailed on Baltimore and their inept management the minute he hit free agency. But he stuck it out for the long haul despite absolutely no assurances he'd ever see a good team here.

Bit of Roberts trivia - the only professional teams he's ever played on with winning records are the 2012 Orioles and the 2003 Ottawa Lynx. He didn't finish the season with either.

You misremember history. When Roberts was close to free agency the economy collapsed and baseball had a pretty cold winter for contracts. Another second base with stats similar to Roberts got a contract much smaller than he was hoping for. Roberts saw he was worth more to the Orioles because he was a fan favorite. Thus he signed an extention. It had very little to do with love of Baltimore and all to do with getting the money. Which is his right. But dont make it into something different.

You misremember history. When Roberts was close to free agency the economy collapsed and baseball had a pretty cold winter for contracts. Another second base with stats similar to Roberts got a contract much smaller than he was hoping for. Roberts saw he was worth more to the Orioles because he was a fan favorite. Thus he signed an extention. It had very little to do with love of Baltimore and all to do with getting the money. Which is his right. But dont make it into something different.

He certainly could have signed a short stop-gap and then moved on when the market improved.

Archived