Harrison Twins Announcing Thursday

Brendan25

I'm not saying he can't coach. You don't accomplish what he's accomplished without being able to coach.

All of these guys look good in drills/clinics, because they all are good. Watch a MD all-access practice and you'll see the same thing about Turgeon. A good friend of mine is a HS coach, and one of the guys he was always most impressed with and tried to model his style after was Kelvin Sampson. It's all pretty meaningless.

I think you are overstating what you think I'm saying. Not saying he's a bad coach. I'm saying this notion that he puts players in the NBA is ridiculous. He doesn't. John Wall could have went to New Mexico State, and he would've been the #1 pick.

Oh, ok, I understand what you are saying. I agree, talent trumps all.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying he can't coach. You don't accomplish what he's accomplished without being able to coach.

All of these guys look good in drills/clinics, because they all are good. Watch a MD all-access practice and you'll see the same thing about Turgeon. A good friend of mine is a HS coach, and one of the guys he was always most impressed with and tried to model his style after was Kelvin Sampson. It's all pretty meaningless.

I think you are overstating what you think I'm saying. Not saying he's a bad coach. I'm saying this notion that he puts players in the NBA is ridiculous. He doesn't. John Wall could have went to New Mexico State, and he would've been the #1 pick.

I think there is more to saying he doesn't put guys in the NBA. Talent does trump a lot and you're right, John Wall was going pro no matter where he ended up. So was Anthony Davis. Those are all world talents. Look at guys like Josh Harrellson. That guy would of been lucky to get tickets to an NBA game before Calipari arrived. Eric Bledsoe was a top 50 recruit in the eyes of recruiting services, but nobody had him coming out after his first year. Daniel Orton averaged 3.4 points and got drafted after one year. DeAndre Liggins had pretty much been forgotten about until Calipari arrived. These aren't guys who were no doubters, and for a few of them, certainly not after one year. Calipari has had every starter and every 6th man get drafted in each of his first three seasons at UK. Again, a lot of those were going regardless. But you don't put six guys in the NBA every year, there is something else to it.

Money talks.

It does these guys make tons of money in advertisements once they leave school. Kentucky loves there alumni. And even if they did pay there players I guarantee you UK is not the only ones. You have no idea how much money donors pump into this program [not players]. There facilities are bar none.

Kentucky is a tough recruiting battle no matter who is there. The fact that it is Calipari, one of the most ridiculously successful recruiters ever, makes it almost impossible. I'm pretty happy we were able to stay right there in the fight to the end.

Archived