Roberts Comes Clean

Night Owl

No. He is still a snitch and a rat.

Yeah, because he was totally teacher's petting the investigation, going "OOH OOH OOH! Teacher! I know who done 'em!"

You people are just too much sometimes. The man was caught up in in a federal investigation and, while not under oath, he was definitely waaaaaay more pressured to tell them what he knew than someone simply invited to speak.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't think we can take Roberts' "just once" claim at face value. Sure he's a nice guy and scrappy and we all want to believe that if he took steroids, it was just a one-time slip-up. But this a guy who jumped from 4 HR in 641 ABs in 2004 to 8 HR in April 2005 alone! This while the O's clubhouse was, by all accounts, crawling with guys who show up on the Mitchell report. Maybe it's all a big coincidence, but there's a whole lot of circumstantial evidence here.

Not really. What did he have, 100+/- plate appearances that month? Anything can happen in 100 PAs. We are talking about 8 HRs also, not 20.

-m

Now that I've had a few seconds to calm down...

I can't really blame Bigbie for singing like a canary for Mitchell's pseudo-legalistic witch hunt. He was a down-and-out loser caught by a bunch of suits with big titles. As a fellow loser, I have sympathy for him, but I still think he's a piece of crap.

Regarding the subject at hand, the only reason I'm a baseball fan, aside from the beer, is to root for guys like Brian Roberts. He is my nephew's hero, and kind of a hero for me too.

I admire the way he's facing the music today, and I believe his "just once" statement.

Call me naive, but there are plenty of other things in the world to get all self-righteous and angry about.

Regarding the couple of you who are trying to use this situation to lob more grenades at the organization, I really wish you would give it a break. It gets old, it really does.

It gets really old watching the Orioles shoot themselves in the foot. Before issuing a statement like they did, it might have been wise to consult with Roberts first before dennouncing the report and his inclusion in it.

It gets really old watching the Orioles shoot themselves in the foot. Before issuing a statement like they did, it might have been wise to consult with Roberts first before dennouncing the report and his inclusion in it.

To be fair, their statement was appropriate, given what they knew at the time. Angelos is a lawyer. He knows that if a prosecutor asked Bigbie if he ever heard Roberts say he tried steroids, the defense lawyer would have shouted "Objection, hearsay!"

I think the O's get credit for defending their players. They had no clue what statement Roberts would make a few days later.

I think this shows Brian's character, and shows why so many of us don't want to see him traded. That being said I hope it doesn't hurt his trade value. I'm guessing that this statement will have no impact on that trade value, but I'm sure Hendry will try to use it against his 'ol buddy McPhail.

I think this shows Brian's character, and shows why so many of us don't want to see him traded. That being said I hope it doesn't hurt his trade value. I'm guessing that this statement will have no impact on that trade value, but I'm sure Hendry will try to use it against his 'ol buddy McPhail.

I am a Brian Roberts fan, and his statement definitely reveals a lot more to like about him.

However, don't give him a free pass. Even if he tried steroids one time, never tried them again, never inhaled, whatever... he still tried steroids. We can still be Brian Roberts fans, but we have to realize he isn't the perfect one any longer (sorry Cindy...).

Archived