Roberts Comes Clean

Night Owl

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lenses had absolutely nothing to do with the huge power surge. He only even wore those during day games. It was just a complete flukey month. Since about 2004 he's had a very consistent power output except for April 2005.

Doesn't anybody actually remember Roberts' power surge? I mean the details? Unless I've really gone senile I remember almost all of his homers that month being within about 20 feet of the foul pole. These weren't light-tower blasts clearing the roof at Tiger Stadium. This was a case of him pulling half a dozen balls over the 325 sign.

Maybe he was shooting up radioactive spider venom every day for six years. But I don't think jerking a few balls a bit farther than Pesky's Pole proves it one way or the other.

However, don't give him a free pass. Even if he tried steroids one time, never tried them again, never inhaled, whatever... he still tried steroids. We can still be Brian Roberts fans, but we have to realize he isn't the perfect one any longer (sorry Cindy...).

Couldn't agree with you more. He shouldn't be given a free pass, but he should be getting a pat on the back after coming out with this information. The media, organization, fans were all on his side. He put that aside and decided to fess up. That takes a lot of guts if you ask me.

I am a Brian Roberts fan, and his statement definitely reveals a lot more to like about him.

However, don't give him a free pass. Even if he tried steroids one time, never tried them again, never inhaled, whatever... he still tried steroids. We can still be Brian Roberts fans, but we have to realize he isn't the perfect one any longer (sorry Cindy...).

And who among us is?

My hat is off to Brian Roberts. He truly is a stand up guy. At this point I hope he stays and I for one will root for him that much harder.

I like you.:)

I love My Perfect One more than ever.:) Im sure being honest was very painful for him:002_scry:

I want him to stay an O forever.

May God bless Brian Roberts!!!!

Doesn't anybody actually remember Roberts' power surge? I mean the details? Unless I've really gone senile I remember almost all of his homers that month being within about 20 feet of the foul pole. These weren't light-tower blasts clearing the roof at Tiger Stadium. This was a case of him pulling half a dozen balls over the 325 sign.

Maybe he was shooting up radioactive spider venom every day for six years. But I don't think jerking a few balls a bit farther than Pesky's Pole proves it one way or the other.

I'm a cynic by nature, so I guess I just assume everybody that shows even a reasonable power surge is going to be under suspicion now.

I'm shocked by the reaction in this thread and the articles written by Maese and Connolly. Roberts had no reason to come out with this statement other than to clear his conscience and tell the truth. The evidence against him was lacking. There was going to be no further investigation against him.

He did this because he thought it was the right thing to do. I'd bet money he is telling the truth. I applaud him for doing this. He has more respect from me than ever.

Regarding the couple of you who are trying to use this situation to lob more grenades at the organization, I really wish you would give it a break. It gets old, it really does.

Maese does make a good case for his skepticism.

I am a Brian Roberts fan, and his statement definitely reveals a lot more to like about him.

Heh, he'd have to like, kill someone for Cindy to stop loving him. And even then, she might justify who he killed. ;)

And you know what? The whole point of the Mitchell Report wasn't to out players specifically, but to get an idea of the scope of the problem. And if Brian Roberts, even only once, did PED's...well, you gotta ask yourself who else did... And that's the crux of the report...we don't need to know who else did, per se, but we do need to realize that it was a pretty widespread problem.

Hold on now. Radioactive Spider Venom is legal, and not on the list of banned substances.

Heh, he'd have to like, kill someone for Cindy to stop loving him. And even then, she might justify who he killed. ;)

And you know what? The whole point of the Mitchell Report wasn't to out players specifically, but to get an idea of the scope of the problem. And if Brian Roberts, even only once, did PED's...well, you gotta ask yourself who else did... And that's the crux of the report...we don't need to know who else did, per se, but we do need to realize that it was a pretty widespread problem.

The only thing the Mitchell Report did was throw 83 guys under the bus, and make some suggestions for future changes. In my opinion the names should have never been realesed because the focus of the media has been on those 83 players, and not the real problem at hand.

Give Brian a break.

He didn't have to come out and say this. It just confirms my opinion that he is a good man.

If you say otherwise, we can take it outside.

Horsehockey. I'll meet you outside. :D

If Brian is such a saint in this, why is he admitting this now? Would we have heard anything without the Mitchell report?

He issued the statement because his one time use was revealed... period. He wouldn't have said anything without his name included in the report.

Archived