Roberts Comes Clean

Night Owl

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a Brian Roberts fan, and his statement definitely reveals a lot more to like about him.

However, don't give him a free pass. Even if he tried steroids one time, never tried them again, never inhaled, whatever... he still tried steroids. We can still be Brian Roberts fans, but we have to realize he isn't the perfect one any longer (sorry Cindy...).

We strongly disagree.

If the world had more people with hearts like Brians in it, it would be a much happier place.

I would walk thru fire to stand up for him.

This world has so little kindness left in it!:002_scry:

The only thing the Mitchell Report did was throw 83 guys under the bus, and make some suggestions for future changes. In my opinion the names should have never been realesed because the focus of the media has been on those 83 players, and not the real problem at hand.

That's what it did because people are gossippy creatures today, a very fast food give it to me NOW culture, and the media played right in to it because they care more about ratings then news. If it raised their ratings a couple of points to get those names out right at 2 o clock that day, by god, that's what they'd do. Let's forget the fact that without the report as context, the names mean nothing.

So, will his trade value take a hit now?

I don't think his trade value takes a hit. I hope not at least.

Hendry seems to be enamored with the idea of adding Roberts to the Cubs lineup. I don't think that this will sway his opinion of Roberts. If anything he might like the guy more now. Hendry knows the only way we are trading Roberts is if we get what we see as a very nice return.

Couldn't agree with you more. He shouldn't be given a free pass, but he should be getting a pat on the back after coming out with this information. The media, organization, fans were all on his side. He put that aside and decided to fess up. That takes a lot of guts if you ask me.

Yes it does.Like I said,I am sure it was painful for him.:002_scry:

Of all the admissions and apologies about PEDs I have heard, from any athlete in any sport, this is the first that I respect. Why? Because he didn't have to do it. The evidence was flimsy, and he actually had people defending him. He was the poster boy for the anti-Mitchell faction. He could've skated through it.

For that reason I am half-inclined the believe his claim that he tried steroids just once. His admission suggests that he may actually be motivated somewhat by honor and respect for the game. What made him step forward with the truth may be the same motivation that caused him to feel qualms about using.

Besides, he is corroborated by Bigbie!

For those trashing Bigbie, I think you are as wrong as can be. The code of silence allowed PEDs to flourish in baseball to the point of making a mockery of the game and its records. The accomplishments of Ruth and Aaron and Bob Gibson and Frank Robinson and others have all been unfairly diminished by those who used PEDs. Those who were unscrupulous enough to cheat gained an unfair advantage over those whose honor or respect for the game prevented them from reaching for the same edge. If you like and respect Brian Roberts, and believe his account, imagine how much taller he would stand in the game and how much better his career would look right now if he had been playing on a level field.

All this was possible only because of the code of silence. This sport would have been much, much better off if others had spoken out much earlier. I can't believe that any professed fan of the game would think otherwise.

You can hate Bigbie.

You can love baseball.

But you can't have it both ways.

We strongly disagree.

If the world had more people with hearts like Brians in it, it would be a much happier place.

I would walk thru fire to stand up for him.

This world has so little kindness left in it!:002_scry:

Cindy, reel in the gushing. I still like BRob, and like I posted earlier, his statement reveals a lot more to like about the guy. However, he doesn't emerge from this unscathed. He admitted to something that he never would have admitted without the Mitchell Report. That isn't commendable.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary to be perfect to be a good man.

Doesn't anybody actually remember Roberts' power surge? I mean the details? Unless I've really gone senile I remember almost all of his homers that month being within about 20 feet of the foul pole. These weren't light-tower blasts clearing the roof at Tiger Stadium. This was a case of him pulling half a dozen balls over the 325 sign.

Maybe he was shooting up radioactive spider venom every day for six years. But I don't think jerking a few balls a bit farther than Pesky's Pole proves it one way or the other.

It's true, and 9 of his 18 homers were in April. I feel strongly that his steroid use and his fluky HR year are unrelated. Basically the guy had one month where all the breaks went his way.

That's what it did because people are gossippy creatures today, a very fast food give it to me NOW culture, and the media played right in to it because they care more about ratings then news. If it raised their ratings a couple of points to get those names out right at 2 o clock that day, by god, that's what they'd do. Let's forget the fact that without the report as context, the names mean nothing.

I just don't think we really needed the Mitchell Report. What did it actually tell us that we didn't already know? 83 names? That's only 1% of the players who used performance enhancing drugs. I think the purpose of the Mitchell Report was for MLB to look good in the eyes of the public, and to congress.

The Mitchell Report did provide some very nice recommendations for future testing procedures. However, I'm not sure we needed a highly funded "Report" for some recommendations.

Archived