Angelos said this is "the year that we mean business

Greg

Listen guys, we aren't going to sign any top free agents. If we pick up Reynolds option, we are already going to have a higher payroll next year just based off of all the returning players. I think we may make a couple trades. I think that DD will make SEVERAL minor league free agent signings for depth. We are not getting Hamilton, or Greinke, or Upton. And we don't need them.

Angelos is right. We are back to meaning business. It's because of who we have though, not who we are getting.

I agree and I think it's a good thing. Aren't we figuring out in baseball that throwing money at ball players isn't as effective as it used to be? Watch what Boston does. I bet it's not signing every big name out there. If they do, they are fools. Spend the money only if it fits in with the team that won 93 games this year. O's, Rays, A's, Reds, all teams that played great without breaking the bank. If we are going to spend let's get some starting pitching.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Listen guys, we aren't going to sign any top free agents. If we pick up Reynolds option, we are already going to have a higher payroll next year just based off of all the returning players. I think we may make a couple trades. I think that DD will make SEVERAL minor league free agent signings for depth. We are not getting Hamilton, or Greinke, or Upton. And we don't need them.

Angelos is right. We are back to meaning business. It's because of who we have though, not who we are getting.

Dont think they need Hamilton or Greinke per say but they do need to add to the team. Even Buck said that.... now does that mean spending a ton...no but it does mean a few guys who are likley more than just minor league free agents.

Dont think they need Hamilton or Greinke per say but they do need to add to the team. Even Buck said that.... now does that mean spending a ton...no but it does mean a few guys who are likley more than just minor league free agents.

I agree but I think it's going to be moves like we made last year. Signing international players and hoping for another Miguel Gonzalez. Going overseas and maybe looking in Japan or Korea. Making a trade or two for guys like Taylor Teagarden. Signing minor league free agents to players like Nate McLouth.

The one position that I think we could make a splash at is 2B. Wouldn't be surprised to see an Ian Kinsler or Chase Utley type of move. Other then that, it's going to be the same as last year.

Problem is the Orioles need premium talent. They are in need of hitters in the 3 & 4 holes. Jones should bat no better than fifth with his tendancies to swing at trash. I dont care if the Orioles trade or sign free agents... id be okay was with Bourn..... drop Nick back to 3rd...but they still.need a 4 hitter.

Problem is the Orioles need premium talent. They are in need of hitters in the 3 & 4 holes. Jones should bat no better than fifth with his tendancies to swing at trash. I dont care if the Orioles trade or sign free agents... id be okay was with Bourn..... drop Nick back to 3rd...but they still.need a 4 hitter.

Would you of said the same thing about Jones before the playoffs?

I agree and I think it's a good thing. Aren't we figuring out in baseball that throwing money at ball players isn't as effective as it used to be? Watch what Boston does. I bet it's not signing every big name out there. If they do, they are fools. Spend the money only if it fits in with the team that won 93 games this year. O's, Rays, A's, Reds, all teams that played great without breaking the bank. If we are going to spend let's get some starting pitching.

I agree 100%.

Also, I'm not sure how effective throwing money at big names has EVER really been effective. Look at the Yanks. The bulk of their success from the mid-90's on has really been more a result of their home-grown players (Jeter, Williams, Posada, Rivera, etc.)... Sure, they went out and added whoever else they wanted, but I don't think we'd be talking about a Yankee dynasty without the emergence of an outstanding crop of players from their own minor leagues. For the past few years, those guys have all gotten old, and they are trying to hang on by buying up anyone they could, but it hasn't tranlated into championships the way they were winning when their core was in its prime.

Not much this team needs outside of a 2B and a 4th LF better than Endy Chavez.

I guess you could get a higher-caliber SP than Saunders, but I'd be OK bringing him back as well.

I really want to see what this team can do next year as it is currently constructed -- or as close as possible.

I really want to see what this team can do next year as it is currently constructed -- or as close as possible.

This is where I'm at. Even if I look out there and see other players who could help next year, I just want to see THIS team out there again. (It's probably good that I'm not the GM)

Not much this team needs outside of a 2B and a 4th LF better than Endy Chavez.

I guess you could get a higher-caliber SP than Saunders, but I'd be OK bringing him back as well.

I do also.

Nor did they when Angelos talked about how "this time it will literally come true." His point,as made by others, is it sounds like yet another empty Angelos promise.

Sounds more to me like you not reading his quote correctly.

I hope to see us take a shot at Keppinger who would be an immediate upgrade at 2B. Also some possible backups in Napoli and Cedeno.

In terms of adding pitching, other than the longshot of Greinke, I would take a shot a Shaun Marcum and kick the tires on Liriano.

Archived