Offseason Priorities

jcroemer

IMO, Markakis was incredible at the top of the order and possibly found his nitch in the batting order. He reminds me when Boston use to throw Boggs at the top of the order.. doesn't have the makeup of a leadoff hitter but his OBP is what was the dagger against opposing teams.

Plus you give McClouth more opportunities for RBI's.. McClouth showed when he batted in any scoring potential he was a threat. Get Markakis on base and you have a threat of a guy driving in 2-run HR's and moving Markakis to 3rd base on a single. If Markakis goes down you have a backup leadoff hitter worst case scenario.

That makes sense. It just seems a shame to waste the SB potential in McLouth.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fans are hilarious...

How is there a 'hole' at DH? Davis hit .275 w/ 30+ HR. Sure he looked bad against some excellent pitching in the playoffs, but when you find a guy who's going to look great against that type of pitching all the time, by all means bring him in - along with your herd of unicorns.

LF? What exactly did McClouth not do to deserve a shot at starting full-time in LF? Why anyone would even mention Reimold (who has done nothing really and is always injured) or bringing in someone else is beyond me.

Top of the rotation starter? Why? At worst it looks like we could have three #2's, one of whom could very well turn into a number 1, but if not, 1,2,3 still = 2,2,2. We have plenty of pitching and wasting money on another starter is just that, waste.

1B? Reynold looked great there defensively, and despite his shortcomings with the bat, he's still an asset. If you can get him at the right price, which frankly should be very reasonable coming off a down year, he's the answer and first base isn't a question.

Second base is the real question, and frankly the only question. With Markakis back (along w/McClouth in left), we need another guy who can get on base consistently and score runs and play solid+ defense. I don't know who that is yet, but that's all we really need.

Trumbo is young, has the power , improved his average & ops by 40 points. I'd say he has the ability to get better because of age. all in all I'd say he's a upgrade if available.
Trumbo is 26 has a 268 .BA, ,317 OBP , .808 OPS 32 HR, Chris Davis, 26, .270 BA. .326 0BP, .827 OPS, 33 HR. Both play a little CIF and COF. Same player. Neither is a MOO bat.

If You want a backup 2B upgrade you could trade Andino(our best hitter in the playoffs BTW and a Buck favorite) and pick up Keppinger.

True about Andino being a Buck favorite, but that didn't stop him from platooning him with Flaherty the last month. Andino is a trade possibility, or as the backup infielder possibility if they get a better second baseman. Flaherty has three options now. I bet they use one and have him play every day at Norfolk and call him up at a moment's notice, assuming he's hitting.

Trumbo is 26 has a 268 .BA, ,317 OBP , .808 OPS 32 HR, Chris Davis, 26, .270 BA. .326 0BP, .827 OPS, 33 HR. Both play a little CIF and COF. Same player. Neither is a MOO bat.

Yup. I like Davis, and don't have a problem if he's our LH DH next season. But, if he's hitting 3rd or 4th, I think that's a problem. I would like to see Davis hitting 6th and Wieters 7th. Getting a legit 3rd or 4th hitter would be fantastic. I like SoxHotCorner's idea of Pedroia. I think he'd be a perfect fit for this team.

Yup. I like Davis, and don't have a problem if he's our LH DH next season. But, if he's hitting 3rd or 4th, I think that's a problem. I would like to see Davis hitting 6th and Wieters 7th. Getting a legit 3rd or 4th hitter would be fantastic. I like SoxHotCorner's idea of Pedroia. I think he'd be a perfect fit for this team.
Pedroia is a great player but thinking of trading for him is far fetched. A) he would cost too much in players and salary. B) you have to add 10M to that because it means you eat Roberts salary, and C) Boston wouldn't trade within the division and neither will the O's.

Pedroia is a great player but thinking of trading for him is far fetched. A) he would cost too much in players and salary. B) you have to add 10M to that because it means you eat Roberts salary, and C) Boston wouldn't trade within the division and neither will the O's.

I agree with everything you said. I think we might have a better shot at Kinsler, and he'd be a pretty good fit, too...though he's not a #3/4 hitter.

Did Saunders not deal in both chances he had against the Rangers and Yankees?.

He is a mediocre pitcher, with mediocre pitches, who has had a mediocre career. His splits versus righties are atrocious and his numbers against both the Rangers and Yankees are horrific. Lets not let two clutch postseason starts cloud our judgment because odds are Saunders cannot repeat anything close to that over a 25+ start season. He is a #4/#5 and should be the odd man out in favor of a guy we can slot #1 or #2.

If we can bump Hammel to #2 and Chen to #3 then that would give us the best chance to repeat 2012's win total.

#1 = ???? (Peavy?)

#2 = Hammel

#3 = Chen

#4 = Tillman

#5 = Gonzalez

(Britton, Matusz, Arrieta, Bundy, Wada as our insurance incase Tillman or Gonzalez struggle)

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't mind Saunders coming back in 2013, but I think it should be Plan B not Plan A.

Fans are hilarious...

How is there a 'hole' at DH? Davis hit .275 w/ 30+ HR. Sure he looked bad against some excellent pitching in the playoffs, but when you find a guy who's going to look great against that type of pitching all the time, by all means bring him in - along with your herd of unicorns.

LF? What exactly did McClouth not do to deserve a shot at starting full-time in LF? Why anyone would even mention Reimold (who has done nothing really and is always injured) or bringing in someone else is beyond me.

Top of the rotation starter? Why? At worst it looks like we could have three #2's, one of whom could very well turn into a number 1, but if not, 1,2,3 still = 2,2,2. We have plenty of pitching and wasting money on another starter is just that, waste.

1B? Reynold looked great there defensively, and despite his shortcomings with the bat, he's still an asset. If you can get him at the right price, which frankly should be very reasonable coming off a down year, he's the answer and first base isn't a question.

Second base is the real question, and frankly the only question. With Markakis back (along w/McClouth in left), we need another guy who can get on base consistently and score runs and play solid+ defense. I don't know who that is yet, but that's all we really need.

McLouth does not hit lefthanded pitching well. That is why he should start the year in a platoon.

I agree with everything you said. I think we might have a better shot at Kinsler, and he'd be a pretty good fit, too...though he's not a #3/4 hitter.
Why do you think PA will eat 10M of Roberts salary and DFA him, in addition to giving up value in players and taking on 14 M in extra payroll. It simly doesn't make sense. Besides Kinsler is on the way down. He hit .256, .327 and .749 OPS with 21 SB. If Roberts is healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up those kinds of numbers. I am much more interested in seeing Flaherty get more plate time.

McLouth does not hit lefthanded pitching well. That is why he should start the year in a platoon.
I wonder why Buck was so dumb to keep playing McLouth against LHP when the SSS numbers clearly indicate that he should platoon him with Ford? :rolleyestf:

1. Sign or trade for an ACE: Greinke or Hamels;

2. Trade for Headley (Britton or Matuzs; Schoop and Avery) and move JJ to 2B and Manny to SS;

3. Sign Mclouth;

4. Sign Saunders.

LF N Mclouth

RF N Markakis

CF A Jones

3B C Headley

C M Wieters

DH C Davis/N Reimold

SS M Machado

1B M Reynolds

2B JJ Hardy/R Flaherty

UI R Flaherty

UI B Roberts

OF N Reimold

OF LJ Hoes

SP Greinke/Hamels

SP Hammel

SP M Gonzales

SP C Tillmann/W Chen

SP J Saunders/Z Britton/B Matuzs/D Bundy

CL J jonhson

RP P Strop

RP D O'Day

RP T Patton

RP B Matuzs (if not traded)

RP L Ayala

RP D Bundy/Z Britton

I think this is a playoff bound team. What do you think? I forgot Chen!!!! We need depth!!!!

Trumbo is young, has the power , improved his average & ops by 40 points. I'd say he has the ability to get better because of age. all in all I'd say he's a upgrade if available.

Trumbo is a right handed Davis. If he can improve at age 26...why cant Davis?

Davis .270/33/85/.326/.827

Trumbo .268/32/95/.317/.808

1. Sign or trade for an ACE: Greinke or Hamels;

2. Trade for Headley (Britton or Matuzs; Schoop and Avery) and move JJ to 2B and Manny to SS;

3. Sign Mclouth;

4. Sign Saunders.

LF N Mclouth

RF N Markakis

CF A Jones

3B C Headley

C M Wieters

DH C Davis/N Reimold

SS M Machado

1B M Reynolds

2B JJ Hardy/R Flaherty

UI R Flaherty

UI B Roberts

OF N Reimold

OF LJ Hoes

SP Greinke/Hamels

SP Hammel

SP M Gonzales

SP C Tillmann/W Chen

SP J Saunders/Z Britton/B Matuzs/D Bundy

CL J jonhson

RP P Strop

RP D O'Day

RP T Patton

RP B Matuzs (if not traded)

RP L Ayala

RP D Bundy/Z Britton

I think this is a playoff bound team. What do you think? I forgot Chen!!!! We need depth!!!!

Cole Hamels signed a $144M extension with Philadelphia before the trading deadline.

Greinke will get at least 80% of that contract from a poorly managed team.

If we're signing a type A pitcher, I hope it's Dan Haren or Shaun Marcum. Dollars and years will be much more reasonable.

Archived