Would you consider acquiring a stud 3rd Baseman and sending Machado back to minors?

FanSince88

Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?

• No way, Machado needs to start every day next year he is a guaranteed All-Star
    • Yes, send machado to the bench or minors if you're able to sign a proven 3B

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Machado was worth 1.5 rWAR, 1.3 fWAR in just under 1/3 of a season. That means if he didn't improve at all from last year to this one, he'd be worth about 4 - 4.5 WAR. That would make him one of the 6-8 most valuable 3B in the majors.

For one, I suspect Machado's offensive numbers were slightly inflated by his first week. He dominated and that was probably because there was minimal advanced scouting intel since the callup was such a surprise (and he was red hot at Bowie at the time).

Second, WAR is a decent measure of a player's overall value but it's not telling of how they specifically fit in with the build of the team. For rWAR, Machado's offensive production was less than half of the value; and for fWar it looks like his offense actually had negative value. The O's can't afford to have Mark Reynolds-level defense at 3B, but with Hardy at SS they don't exactly need Brooks Robinson either. If they're not going to get a big bat, then they need the balance to lean more towards offense at the corner positions. I'd like to think that will apply to Machado eventually. For 2013? Not so sure....

I don't think that assumption is true if we're looking at dealing guys like Hardy, Davis, Jim Johnson and some pitchers (i.e. Arrieta/Matusz) who are well past the prospect stage.

So we finally have a winning team and the idea is to trade key members of it (Hardy, Davis and Johnson)? Just totally disagree with this notion, think you look to add to the team via FA

Unless your getting a TOR guy or a true MOO guy, I cant see how moving guys who were integral to the success of this team makes a lot of sense. Not saying that you do not explore options just saying that return has to be really really good to move 3 key parts of a successful team IMO

I would either flip Hardy or move him to second and put Machado at short.

This! We need one more infielder one way or another.

Andino/Flaherty platoon isn't a horrid decision at 2B, but any way to improve that spot is a huge plus.

This! We need one more infielder one way or another.

Andino/Flaherty platoon isn't a horrid decision at 2B, but any way to improve that spot is a huge plus.

Ok then bring in Scuturo or Keppinger or someone like that. Not saying we should not explore the options but unless it makes you significantly better what is wrong with Manny at 3rd for another year? Its ridiculous to say that he could not shift back to SS after this season. I also think that JJ Hardy had a down year offensively and his trade value is less than optimal.

Hold on to him and hopefully his offensive numbers get better this year. Combine that with the fact he is a tremendous fielder and will have only 1 year left on his deal and now you have a trade chip that might bring you back optimal value.

I don't understand the logic behind using resources to fill a hole that doesn't exist. I'd work on holes that do exist.

Exactly .... why trade pieces that have been valuable when there are options that exist to fill upgrade those holes via free agency at a cost of only money.

If you cannot find guys within the budget who fill those needs then by all means start looking at trades. Fact is though the Orioles have a decent revenue stream with MASN, attendance is up and should continue to be if they continue to win, there is no reason they cannot spend some money. All these years the O's have said they would when they needed that one or two key players....well now is that time. We are just a few pieces away from being legit title contenders.

Is there a none of the above option? I wouldn't mind acquiring a stud 3rd baseman and moving Machado to 2B.

Machado has a great arm and somewhat limited range, he'd be a poor fit at 2B. Also, ideally you do not want your top young player at the most (or 2nd most to catcher) dangerous position on the diamond.

For one, I suspect Machado's offensive numbers were slightly inflated by his first week. He dominated and that was probably because there was minimal advanced scouting intel since the callup was such a surprise (and he was red hot at Bowie at the time).

Second, WAR is a decent measure of a player's overall value but it's not telling of how they specifically fit in with the build of the team. For rWAR, Machado's offensive production was less than half of the value; and for fWar it looks like his offense actually had negative value. The O's can't afford to have Mark Reynolds-level defense at 3B, but with Hardy at SS they don't exactly need Brooks Robinson either. If they're not going to get a big bat, then they need the balance to lean more towards offense at the corner positions. I'd like to think that will apply to Machado eventually. For 2013? Not so sure....

August: .243/.260/.471

September: .273/.313/.430

I'm willing to bet that Machado improves offensively in 2013. As to how Machado specifically fit the team, the Orioles were 60-51 without him and went 33-18 after Machado arrived. I'd say he fit pretty darned well.

I still want to know what stud third basemen people are talking about that is available. Cause if it's Headly you aren't going to be sending Machado back to AAA you will be sending him to San Diego.

The stud third baseman is ARod.ARod and Machado are close and it makes sense on so many levels:). Can the Yankees pick up 95% of his salary?

Archived