Would you consider acquiring a stud 3rd Baseman and sending Machado back to minors?

FanSince88

Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?

• No way, Machado needs to start every day next year he is a guaranteed All-Star
    • Yes, send machado to the bench or minors if you're able to sign a proven 3B

And he had a 282 OBP last season. I would rather have a franchise level player under team control for six more seasons at short.

Hardy was still a 3 WAR player this year (2.8fWAR/3.0rWAR). Power and defense count. Would just have preferred he wasn't batting second all year. I guess it just depends on what's available in the offseason for 3b. I'd consider Hardy another guy that we should be open to trading in the right deal. Not sure it makes sense to move him to second base. It was nice having solid IF defense for the second half this year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea is silly. The kid was productive offensively and played brilliant defense. IMO you play him at 3rd, Hardy at SS and Flaherty/Roberts/Andino/FA at 2nd. Why would you go shuffling your entire infield???

Beyond that, what stud 3B is magically going to be available? Headley is to expensive and very unlikely. If you want to significantly upgrade your offense the opportunities are at 1B and LF on the FA ....finding a stud 3B or 2B is going to only occur via trade and will cost significant and much needed prospects

The idea is silly. The kid was productive offensively and played brilliant defense. IMO you play him at 3rd, Hardy at SS and Flaherty/Roberts/Andino/FA at 2nd. Why would you go shuffling your entire infield???

Beyond that, what stud 3B is magically going to be available? Headley is to expensive and very unlikely. If you want to significantly upgrade your offense the opportunities are at 1B and LF on the FA ....finding a stud 3B or 2B is going to only occur via trade and will cost significant and much needed prospects

I don't think that assumption is true if we're looking at dealing guys like Hardy, Davis, Jim Johnson and some pitchers (i.e. Arrieta/Matusz) who are well past the prospect stage.

I think in an ideal world we would be able to send Machado back to the minors for the first couple months of 2013. Can't think of any other position players who were skipped from AA to the majors in their age 19 season. A .740 OPS as a MLB rookie is extraordinary for his individual development, but for the O's as a 2013 contender they should expect more offense from a position like 3B.

Back to reality, this team needs a #1 starter, starting 2B, starting 1B/DH (if we don't extend Reynolds), arbitration for Hammel, extension for McLouth, possible extension for Buck, and probably a back of the rotation starter like Saunders. There's no way they should be investing time and financial/player resources pursuing a stud 3B, too many greater priorities.

I don't think that assumption is true if we're looking at dealing guys like Hardy, Davis, Jim Johnson and some pitchers (i.e. Arrieta/Matusz) who are well past the prospect stage.

Putting aside what you think the team should do, do you think there is really any chance the Orioles will trade Hardy? I'll go on record as saying I'll be shocked if that happens. I've just heard too many glowing comments from Duquette and Showalter for me to believe this is something they are going to consider.

I think in an ideal world we would be able to send Machado back to the minors for the first couple months of 2013. Can't think of any other position players who were skipped from AA to the majors in their age 19 season. A .740 OPS as a MLB rookie is extraordinary for his individual development, but for the O's as a 2013 contender they should expect more offense from a position like 3B.

Machado was worth 1.5 rWAR, 1.3 fWAR in just under 1/3 of a season. That means if he didn't improve at all from last year to this one, he'd be worth about 4 - 4.5 WAR. That would make him one of the 6-8 most valuable 3B in the majors.

There many not be any available, but if a can't-miss kind of guy was available for 3b would you consider acquiring him and sending Machado back to the minors or the MLB bench until the team (presumably) deals Hardy at the end of 2013 or perhaps before the 2013 trade deadline?

We already have a can't miss ballplayer at 3rd base, Manny Machado.

The fact that a number of experts feel he will outgrow the SS position.

I think if he goes into two offseasons with the goal of preparing to be a third baseman he will bulk up to the extent that he would be unable to play shortstop at a high level.

As Frobby said in his post

Just my opinion.

Cal played his first 4 professional seasons at 3rd before moving to SS. If Manny is going to outgrow the position, why move him?

Archived