Orioles have inquired about Josh Willingham and Billy Butler

CA-ORIOLE

Because you have to give something to get something. Davis could be s desirable replacement for Butler. Butler is a superior hitter to Davis and your middle of the order hitter. If you think Butler makes Davis a better hitter then maybe you can make that case. I don't think that's true. Davis won't get better pitches to hit because pitchers still know that he'll chase bad pitches. I think it's a chance to seel high on Davis IF the Royals are even interested. It makes some sense to the Royals to somewhat replace Butler's bat. It makes sense for the Orioles because they can put McLouth in LF, Reynolds at 1B, and maintain the good defense they had in the 2nd half while putting Butlers superior bat at DH and in the middle of the lineup.

Sure, you could put a different player in the deal and keep Davis, put him at 1B, and not resign Reynolds. This was just one scenario.

My opinion is you just get a much bigger bang for your buck (larger improvement to offense) if Davis is retained and bats 4th with Butler hitting 5th. This scenerio also does away with Reynolds and the 7-8 Million he is gonna get.... We can deal from strength which right now is young pitching prospect which will most likely be what the Royals want if they even hae interest... Butler is very popular in KC.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, just pitching might do it but who are you giving up? Also, I can't fathom Davis hitting 4th and Butler 5th. Has to be the other way around.

Roberts

Kakes

Jones

Davis

Butler

Weiters

Hardy

Machado

McClouth

That is what I would go with.....

Possibly switch Butler and jones to get the OBP further up...

Roberts

Kakes

Jones

Davis

Butler

Weiters

Hardy

Machado

McClouth

If Billy Butler is in your lineup, he is the focus of your lineup. He isn't a 5 hitter, and there's absolutely no way he'd hit behind Chris Davis.

Butler

Jones

Davis

is how the MOO would go.

Roberts

Kakes

Jones

Davis

Butler

Weiters

Hardy

Machado

McClouth

I think it should be more like:

Markakis

McLouth

Butler

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Machado

Hardy

Roberts

I realize that there is a good chance Roberts bats lead off if healthy just since that is where he has always batted but it would take a remarkable bounce back for Roberts to be the best lead off option next year. Bottom of the order in a "second lead off man" concept feels better. If the O's got Butler, I think he would be a lock to bat third.

If Billy Butler is in your lineup, he is the focus of your lineup. He isn't a 5 hitter, and there's absolutely no way he'd hit behind Chris Davis.

Butler

Jones

Davis

is how the MOO would go.

I simply went with that formula because he is right handed.... RLR also looking at a way to protect Davis a little to make him see better pitches....although having men on base may be a simple cure for that as well...

I like Butler as much as anyone but I would rather have Reynolds at 1B, Davis and Reimold sharing DH and the 2 time GG winning Alex Gordon in LF. If we are going to trade pitchers to the Royals I want him to be a good hitter and defensive player. AG is who I want.

Alex Gordon

Nick Markakis

Adam Jones

Chris Davis

JJ Hardy

Matt Wieters

Mark Reynolds

Manny Machado

BRob/Casilla

I think it should be more like:

Markakis

McLouth

Butler

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Machado

Hardy

Roberts

I realize that there is a good chance Roberts bats lead off if healthy just since that is where he has always batted but it would take a remarkable bounce back for Roberts to be the best lead off option next year. Bottom of the order in a "second lead off man" concept feels better. If the O's got Butler, I think he would be a lock to bat third.

The problem with all these lineups is that they're missing a 1b with adequate defense.

Butler

Jones

Davis

is how the MOO would go.

Actually, batting Butler behind Davis might not be a bad idea. He will get better pitches to hit. Ideally, the O's would have a speedster with a good OBP batting 1 or 2, then you bat Davis 3rd and Butler 4. That would get Davis a lot of fastballs to take hacks at.

Actually, batting Butler behind Davis might not be a bad idea. He will get better pitches to hit. Ideally, the O's would have a speedster with a good OBP batting 1 or 2, then you bat Davis 3rd and Butler 4. That would get Davis a lot of fastballs to take hacks at.

If Markakis hits a double, I want the best batter on the team up to drive him in. Butler is unquestionably a better batter than Davis. He would absolutely be the 3 hitter, if acquired.

Fwiw, Josh Willingham hit better than Josh Hamilton last year (at least in OPS+), and last year was Hamilton's 2nd best year. The money commitment to Willingham would be... slightly less.

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many seam down on Willingham. Even discounting last year, he's been very consistent since the age of 30 and in mostly pitcher friendly parks. Nice contract for two years.

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many seam down on Willingham. Even discounting last year, he's been very consistent since the age of 30 and in mostly pitcher friendly parks. Nice contract for two years.

I would be happy with Willingham as a DH. He just doesn't look like a good fielder from what I've seen of him. I think he'd put up some healthy number for the next two years, even though he is a bit "older".

So your deal might be Britton, Steve Johnson, and Avery? Who are we trading for? Bruce Chen

Dude your dreamin ..... I its basically 2 SPs, Schoop, and another Delmonico .... I would give a bucket of balls for Bruce Chen. Trying to bust on me like I'm an idiot is pretty low on your part .... Thanks for being a ___________.

Dude your dreamin ..... I its basically 2 SPs, Schoop, and another Delmonico .... I would give a bucket of balls for Bruce Chen. Trying to bust on me like I'm an idiot is pretty low on your part .... Thanks for being a ___________.

Settle down, just a little humor. I simply think it's going to cost a lot more to trade for a true MOO under contract for 3 more seasons. Yes, 2SP's, Schoop, and Delmonico might be a good place to start. My point was, Schoop as part of the cost is probably much closer than a package that excludes him and replaces him with Avery/Hoes.

Archived