Orioles have inquired about Josh Willingham and Billy Butler

CA-ORIOLE

Both players are intriguing. Have liked Willingham for awhile now and he should be quite a bit cheaper.

The Orioles are also looking to improve their lineup and have inquired about players such as Royals designated hitter Billy Butler and Twins outfielder Josh Willingham.

Also looks like Reynolds may be non-tendered if doesn't agree to a team friendly contract.

One of those players is first baseman Mark Reynolds, who batted .221 with 23 homers and 69 RBIs. The Orioles have already declined his $11.5 million option. If they can't reach an agreement, Reynolds could be non-tendered. Even if that happens, the O's will continue to negotiate with him.

"We like the work he did at first base and the improvement," Duquette said. "We liked the player, but we didn't like the price."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121108&content_id=40212418&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line is how much are you willing to give up for Butler? 3...4...maybe even a 5 player deal like we gave up for Jones??

I hope that if we aren't pursuing top free agents it will be a pretty nice package, because that is what it will take.

Considering his contract/age/performance they are going to want a huge haul. But it might be worth it, if the pieces are the right ones we can afford to lose.

There isn't much not to like about him, that is for sure. And he is cheap, we know how the owner loves that.

Pass on Willingham. He's going to be 34 next year, and under contract for another year after that- at 7 mil per. Plus the guy just had a sudden, surprise career year at 33 that will drive MIN's asking price up- and that he is unlikely to replicate.

Hell yes to Butler, although I fear KC's asking price will be more than DD is willing to pay.

While Butler won't be cheap, I don't think he's in quite the same league as Alex Gordon. He is essentially a DH and pretty limited in that sense. He's also a liability on the basepaths. That said he's an offensive force, with more upside. I probably like Willingham better considering the price/production differential. Not sure if I like Willingham in LF though.

Hell yes to Butler, although I fear KC's asking price will be more than DD is willing to pay.

Well you are gonna have to a) give up players to a team in a trade, or b) big time money to a free agent, to get that MOO bat you need.

Take your pick, but there is no "c" option

Well you are gonna have to a) give up players to a team in a trade, or b) big time money to a free agent, to get that MOO bat you need.

Rather just give Hamilton 22m a year then trade the players it would take to get Billy.

Rather just give Hamilton 22m a year then trade the players it would take to get Billy.

So would I, even though a 27 year old offensive force is very tempting even at a high cost. That would make the most sense and give you the strongest team in the end from top to bottom, but it would cost way more.

It would just come down to what top prospect they would want, obviously Bundy/Machado/Gausman are out. I would give them pretty much anyone else they wanted.

So would I, even though a 27 year old offensive force is very tempting even at a high cost. That would make the most sense and give you the strongest team in the end from top to bottom, but it would cost way more.

It would just come down to what top prospect they would want, obviously Bundy/Machado/Gausman are out. I would give them pretty much anyone else they wanted.

Butler finally got his HR totals up last year. If could get that FB% up higher you could see a ton of HR's in OPACY.

Clearly. But the team doesn't really need a M.o.O. bat- we were 2nd in HRs last year but only 8th in runs scored. We have plenty of pop. What we need are table-setters to get on base and turn all of those solo HRs into 2 and 3 run bombs. That's option C.

I love Butler. I don't love that he's a pure DH. But he's as pure a hitter as there is in baseball. The guy can just flat out rake. He's the guy the O's have lacked in their line up for a long time. That said I don't know if the O's match up. They'll want young arms in return for Butler. I don't think any combination of Tillman, Arrieta or Matusz would get it done. And no one here is moving Gausman or Bundy. Work your magic DD.

While Butler won't be cheap, I don't think he's in quite the same league as Alex Gordon. He is essentially a DH and pretty limited in that sense. He's also a liability on the basepaths. That said he's an offensive force, with more upside. I probably like Willingham better considering the price/production differential. Not sure if I like Willingham in LF though.

Yep. Special bat but if Butler so much as looked at a glove I'd have him chained up in the dungeon.

Clearly. But the team doesn't really need a M.o.O. bat- we were 2nd in HRs last year but only 8th in runs scored. We have plenty of pop. What we need are table-setters to get on base and turn all of those solo HRs into 2 and 3 run bombs. That's option C.

Reynolds and Davis are not MOO bats. Adam Jones is the closest thing we have to a MOO bat, and as we've seen, he has his flaws. We need a guy like Butler. Gonna have to give value to get value though.

To the poster above asking if Butler is worth an Erik Bedard haul: HECK NO.

Butler is a great hitter, but a DH with 3/28.5 left. Bedard was an alleged ace, with two years of arbitration left.

Not sure if I like Willingham in LF though.

Honestly if it came down to it, I'd rather see Davis in LF than Willingham. I'm only going by the few times I've seen him between Twins and Nats but he doesn't look great (to say it nicely).

Its pretty interesting stuff. DD is pretty much showing Reynolds that if he does not sign a team friendly contract (read that as a one year contract with an option year. The option year is his first free agent year) then there are other righthanded bats out there to replace him that would be better middle of the order bats then he is. Butler or Wllingham become DHs and Davis moves to first.

What do the O's trade to get Butler or Willingham. Well, just a guess but, Hammel is in the same position as Reynolds. Neither Oriole has prove they deserve a two year contract and if they don't sign a one year with an option they could be moved.

DD is just looking at what his options are. And the Guthrie trade last year shows he is serious.

Stay tuned.

Archived