Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Would have worked out if everything else was held constant except the team drafting them. There are an infinite number of variables.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point? I wasn't making excuses and I wasn't going to go through every draft, the point I made was that other organizations that people generally think draft well swung and miss in that draft as well. I even mentioned the Cardinals draft.

Would have worked out if everything else was held constant except the team drafting them. There are an infinite number of variables.

Fair enough. Leake, for example, probably saw a lot of special developmental attention in the Reds system during his 19.2 AFL innings (he's thrown a total of 7.1 MiLB innings in his career, all in 2011).

Storen logged 53 MiLB innings before being promoted less than a year after being drafted.

Crow had 29 starts in 2010 -- his only season in the minors. Minor had 14 innings in 2009, then 21 starts in 2010 before being promoted.

But, yeah, Baltimore could have elected to simply not promote the players or treat them in some manner that would have resulted in significant injury or something. I guess this is another lesson in why no front office decision can fairly be questioned.

Point? I wasn't making excuses and I wasn't going to go through every draft, the point I made was that other organizations that people generally think draft well swung and miss in that draft as well. I even mentioned the Cardinals draft.

1. acknowledging it was generally a tough year for first rounders

2. noting a few teams that I knew off the top of my head did well in putting together their draft classes

I just wanted to bump this post since not everyone knows the full story. Obviously both Wheeler and Matzek became major league pitchers and none of the three Jordan went for probably will (Ohlman still has a chance I guess). Both Wheeler and Matzek had very unreasonable contract demands that they came off, but Jordan had concerns that he could sign either of them with his budget.

I'll admit the Hobgood selection was a serious reach, but I can understand his logic of getting three guys he liked for the same price as what he thought it would cost to get Matzek or Wheeler.

The problem is that Jordan, who I like and respect as a baseball man and scout, if he had one weakness as as a scouting director is that he tended to take too many chances on small sample guys or guys who played multiple sports and never dedicated themselves to baseball thinking that once they did they would excel because of the tools. He loved those pitchers with spikes in velocity (Coffey and Hobgood) their senior year but what I think everyone has learned now is those guys are major injury risks or possible PED users since there is no testing in highschool.

Amateur scouting director is one of the hardest jobs in baseball in my opinion because of the vast number of potential players, a limited scouting staff, and the fact that players have mostly been tested against inferior competition and the only way to truly know is when they eventually get a chance to be tested against major league quality players (if they get the far).

Sure it's easy to sit here and say players are reaches and they should have picked this guy over that guy, but at the end of the day, even consensus top picks fail and fail often.

I also like the late velo spikes in the HSer - especially in guys who get physically taller and add weight.

I think those guys have to learn how to pitch as sophomores and juniors.

Pretty sure Zach Britton fit this profile, but so did Brandon Erbe and several like him.

That Hobgood class seemed like quite the haul at the time with the late overslots, but I think Stotle put out a much better list just going down the line with the same budget and taking higher profile guys in the early rounds.

• 9 months later...

Signed to the Joilette Slammers.

"He had a couple of injuries to his arm. But we want to try to have him as a starter. He can get it up to about 97 [mph] and averaged 92 to 95 last year."

LOL - scouting report by Joe Jordan no doubt.

http://m.theherald-news.com/2016/04/08/goss-manager-jeff-isom-likes-how-joliet-slammers-are-shaping-up-for-2016/a4zf39d/

Signed to the Joilette Slammers.

"He had a couple of injuries to his arm. But we want to try to have him as a starter. He can get it up to about 97 [mph] and averaged 92 to 95 last year."

LOL - scouting report by Joe Jordan no doubt.

http://m.theherald-news.com/2016/04/08/goss-manager-jeff-isom-likes-how-joliet-slammers-are-shaping-up-for-2016/a4zf39d/

Maybe that's in metric. Or furlongs per fortnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a story on Hobgood where he manager was like, "He's been up to 97 and if he's healthy he won't be here long."

I'm sure he's trying to get people excited, but if Hobgood was healthy and throwing 97 with command he wouldn't be pitching in the Frontier League.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was true. This organization has no idea how to evaluate pitching talent.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/4/26/11506982/orioles-pitchers-arrieta-britton-pitching-coach-rick-adair

Whether it's trading away great prospects like Hader and E-Rod, releasing 6'6" lefties that average a strikeout an inning like Parry, failing to see the brilliance of Arrieta... etc...etc... it goes on and on. It will continue to go on and on as long as Peterson is calling the shots in pitcher development. He's destroyed one arm after another (Bundy and Gausman on and off the DL, Harvey still not ready) and still refuses to let pitchers rely on the success that got them to pro ball in the first place. So Hobgood is now throwing better cause he's out from under Peterson?? Why should that surprise anybody?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was true. This organization has no idea how to evaluate pitching talent.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/4/26/11506982/orioles-pitchers-arrieta-britton-pitching-coach-rick-adair

Whether it's trading away great prospects like Hader and E-Rod, releasing 6'6" lefties that average a strikeout an inning like Parry, failing to see the brilliance of Arrieta... etc...etc... it goes on and on. It will continue to go on and on as long as Peterson is calling the shots in pitcher development. He's destroyed one arm after another (Bundy and Gausman on and off the DL, Harvey still not ready) and still refuses to let pitchers rely on the success that got them to pro ball in the first place. So Hobgood is now throwing better cause he's out from under Peterson?? Why should that surprise anybody?

Can anyone please explain to me what the Orioles did to "destroy" Bundy's arm?

I guess you can make a case for Gausman being rushed to the majors and all the demotions and role changes, but Bundy?

Is it possible to handle a pitcher more gently than the O's used Bundy?

Archived