BlueJays on verge of acquiring Josh Johnson

Greg

Yawn...

Not concerned by this deal.

Still plenty of opportunities for the Orioles to add meaningful improvements without trading away half their prospects and adding injury-prone and/or older vets.

I dont know about yawn, but I think the Jays got a bunch of questionable, injury prone, and expensive players. I haven't really examined what they gave up.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how much salary are they taking on in this deal? Let's see.

Reyes is making $10 million next year, but $22 million each of his last 3 in 2014-2016

Josh Johnson is making 13.75 million in 2013.

Beuhrle is making 4/58 with 3 yrs left, couldn't find details but that is say $14.5 million a year for the next 3.

Bonifacio is Arb eligible in 2013 aqnd 2014 ($2.2 million in 2012) so probably another $3 million or so there.

Buck has 2013 at $6 million.

So for 2013 they are taking on an extra 47.25 million, less the contracts they are giving up in the trade.

2014-2016 they will have another 39.5 million on the books, less traded contracts.

Escobar makes $5 million every year for the next 3 years, Heccavaria makes 2.5 in 2013,net payroll addition for 2013 is 39.75 million. Only Escobar is on the books for $5 million in 2014-2015, so the net payroll addition is 34.75 million.

They just added $116.75 million over the next 3 years.

How do they do it??? They can't afford that!! They don't even have a RSN making them $50 million a year? This will CRIPPLE them for the future!

I guess they want to win, and have figured out an $80 million payroll isn't gonna get it done. They will be over $100 million now, and probably closer to $110 million.

Sucks we are a small market team that has such a disadvantage in the AL East.

It was an attempt to sell out that joke of a new park. They still couldn't fill it. MLB should have learned it's lesson, and contracted that team.

I was just thinking how pissed I would be if was a Marlins fan living in Miami, and I purchased a 2013 season ticket plan before today.

I was just thinking how pissed I would be if was a Marlins fan living in Miami, and I purchased a 2013 season ticket plan before today.

Yep. At least when the O's develop good talent, they take steps to sign them long term. There are no heroes for that fanbase. Only mercs. You don't build a fanbase that way.

At least the Rays keep their guys for as long as possible.

I dont know about yawn, but I think the Jays got a bunch of questionable, injury prone, and expensive players. I haven't really examined what they gave up.

Escobar(garbage), Adieny Hechavarria and some OF prospect named Jake Marsinick.(So says the bottomline on ESPN anyway) I read Henderson Alvarez at one point.

If your going to pull ___ out of your __you show me one post, where I talked down to a specific poster. Your the one talking from your high horse.
You are correct, you did not specifically talk down to any one poster. I misspoke there. You do post regular snark like this though-
It would be dumb for the O's to make that trade. A small market team like the O's cant afford to take on that kind of money :rolleyes:

Later, you had no problem pigeonholing me as someone who thought the Orioles couldn't spend more, and I've seen it from not just you, but others this offseason and every offseason. As I asked earlier, whats your endgame? Should we all just pretend that money is no object and we can have any player we want, with no consequence? What does the constant payroll griping get you other than annoyed fellow fans?

If you think I post crap, then put me on ignore. Thats how that works.

I'm not going to write you off for good just yet, but after seeing many posts, you're close. This thread may prove to be the straw that broke my lumpy back.

Archived