Peter Angelos...Good owner or Bad owner.

OsLuvrInKy

Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?

• YES he is a good owner
    • NO he is not a good owner

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 Months.

Aproximately 60 days.

That is the time it took Orioles fans to forget how great 2012 was and return to bashing the franchise and the owner.

Its times like this that I am ashamed. :ohlord:

What is the appropriate length of time to pretend Angelos had a positive impact on the '12 Orioles and to ignore the fact that the GM who was responsible was approximately his 12th choice?

What is the appropriate length of time to pretend Angelos had a positive impact on the '12 Orioles and to ignore the fact that the GM who was responsible was approximately his 12th choice?

There is no appropriate time, and I would not presume to tell anyone how to be a fan.

All I'm saying is, from MY perspective only, I went into the start of the 2012 season as low as I could be. We made no significant moves, had a GM who was just out of Little League, and I assumed we were staring another losing season and another last place finish right in the face. Instead, it appears that Double D knew a whole lot more than ol' Dip did, and that was with 4/5 of the starting rotation looking like crap, injuries to Roberts, Markakis, and Reimold, and subpar seasons from Wieters (offensively) Hardy, Reynolds, and others.

So yes, this offseason looks crappy thus far. Yes, Peter Angelos is still the crappy owner of the team. Yes, we probably shouldn't expect miracles. But you know what? I just don't give a crap. This team gave me 6 months of joy last year. This team, in one year, made me forget the previous 14 years of sucktitude. This team made me....HAPPY! So pardon me if two months after it ends, I'm not picking up the pitchfork and declaring Peter Angelos the devil. Excuse me if I'm not second guessing DD's relucatance to sign "premium" talent. Excuse me if I'm not already writing off Roberts and Reimold as injury ridden bums. Excuse me for actually having some hope that the 2013 Birds can have another fun and happy Summer.

Agree with this. Could not stand it if was called Under Armour field or something stupid like that.

Camden Yards is a wonderful name, full of imagery and splendor. But if Right Guard Field meant more money that could be spent on payroll, I'd take it in a second.

Not crazy about Angelos as an owner....

Camden Yards is a wonderful name, full of imagery and splendor. But if Right Guard Field meant more money that could be spent on payroll, I'd take it in a second.

As much as I defend Angelos, the fact of the matter is, if Camden Yards became "The Old Crab by the Bay", it would simply mean more money in the old man's shoe!

Why do people who want this team to make a move get bashed here? All I read is enjoy 2012' s success. Well back when this team was winning fans wanted to continue to add to what we had to improve and go farther, not relive one year that no one expected in the first place. Have expectations dropped that far that we should dwell on 1 year of unexpected success. Teams that win year in and year out expect improvement, not to rehash memories of the previous year. And I will say, was it great to win last year, of course, but I would like to try and go further! That's what being a fan is all about!

Why do people who want this team to make a move get bashed here? All I read is enjoy 2012' s success. Well back when this team was winning fans wanted to continue to add to what we had to improve and go farther, not relive one year that no one expected in the first place. Have expectations dropped that far that we should dwell on 1 year of unexpected success. Teams that win year in and year out expect improvement, not to rehash memories of the previous year. And I will say, was it great to win last year, of course, but I would like to try and go further! That's what being a fan is all about!

They don't.

The open discussion always revolves around whether its wise to throw 60-100 million bucks at one player.

As much as I defend Angelos, the fact of the matter is, if Camden Yards became "The Old Crab by the Bay", it would simply mean more money in the old man's shoe!

I should have said..."legitimately spent on payroll..."

People who want this team to make a move dont get bashed. But people that generalize like this generally do.

Post more. Have a greenie.

A major concern around the time that he bought the O's was an out of town owner buying the team and eventually relocating it to another city, IIRC.

Despite an alarming number of impoverished MLB teams only 1 has moved in the last 40 years, that being the Expos who took essentially 4 years to find a new home and then had to creatively appease the Orioles ownership for infringing on their territory.

It seems that every city capable of supporting an MLB team already has one as do a few cities that can't. Plus Angelos bought the team in 1993 after OPACY was built. They weren't going anywhere.

Archived