Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

The Orioles can't force teams to accept their offers. Otherwise, they would have completed a deal at the Winter Meetings. They're prepared to give up some pitching - as long as it's not Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman - but they need cooperation from the other side.

They're trying, folks. It just hasn't happened yet.

How is it that the Royals always seem to make deals with less than what we have?

Fine, I get that PA won't spend money. But what about being aggressive with trading? Roch's explanation seems much more like an excuse.

No one is saying make moves just to make moves, but if we're not doing anything, how can this benefit the club?

MSK

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is it that the Royals always seem to make deals with less than what we have?

Fine, I get that PA won't spend money. But what about being aggressive with trading? Roch's explanation seems much more like an excuse.

No one is saying make moves just to make moves, but if we're not doing anything, how can this benefit the club?

MSK

Because they traded a top 3 or top 5 prospect in Wil Myers.

MSK

I saw the thread when the Royals executed that trade. The majority of posters laughed at the Royals because of what they gave up. Did they give up too much? Perhaps, time will tell. However, they got 2 front line starters in a very winnable division.

So let's stop for a second and ask-what do the Royals have to lose? They have been irrelevant for a decade. So if they gave up too much, oh well. Nothing changes, they continue to be irrelevant.

If it does work, they may be on to something and at very least I think the KC fan base deserves something and who knows what they can accomplish in that division, it is certainly possible, look at us last year.

All perspective I guess. I would rather spend some money and win some ball games. Do I want a $200M payroll? No, but I don't think a signing or two is too much to ask for, neither do the fans that spend their hard earn money to come to the games.

MSK

(it's a little known fact that trading for players never, ever involves taking on additional payroll)

MSK

I understand the that few improvement that the Orioles attempted to make by trade were either not were receive or over bid without Machado or Bundy being included.

I saw the thread when the Royals executed that trade. The majority of posters laughed at the Royals because of what they gave up. Did they give up too much? Perhaps, time will tell. However, they got 2 front line starters in a very winnable division.

So let's stop for a second and ask-what do the Royals have to lose? They have been irrelevant for a decade. So if they gave up too much, oh well. Nothing changes, they continue to be irrelevant.

If it does work, they may be on to something and at very least I think the KC fan base deserves something and who knows what they can accomplish in that division, it is certainly possible, look at us last year.

All perspective I guess. I would rather spend some money and win some ball games. Do I want a $200M payroll? No, but I don't think a signing or two is too much to ask for, neither do the fans that spend their hard earn money to come to the games.

They didn't get 2 frontline starters. They got a very good #2 and a guy that is probably a solid back of the rotation starter. They also had much more depth in their farm system from which to deal. The Orioles have some failed starters with upside but little real value, Bundy, Schoop, Gausman(who can't be traded yet anyway), Machado and...

That's about it.

They didn't get 2 frontline starters. They got a very good #2 and a guy that is probably a solid back of the rotation starter. They also had much more depth in their farm system from which to deal. The Orioles have some failed starters with upside but little real value, Bundy, Schoop, Gausman(who can't be traded yet anyway), Machado and...

That's about it.

Good analysis, but not comparing the Royals and Orioles positions, just make the analogy that many posters are super conservative and will defend most inaction. We had some success so we are not where the Royals are, but can understand where they are coming from with that trade.

As has been said ad nauseam, if we wanted to move our top 5 prospect, we could have made most of these trades too. Travis D'Arnaud isn't Bundy, but he's definitely going to be a top 15 guy in baseball on the 2013 lists. Myers and Bundy are interchangeable in the top 5. So if you're whining about the lack of a big ticket acquisition, you're asking to trade Dylan Bundy.

That's about it.

I'm gonna have to kinda disagree with you here Bob. Peter (Shields) is not management material...

Shields is an ace. No other way to describe him. Startling and risky move by KC but well worth it I think we will see. ;)

everybody is a troll that doesn't agree with your approach.

Thread: Orioles sign some guy for routine minor league depth.

Everyone else: Never heard of him, but you never know. He has a pretty solid WHIP and K rate, and he's only 23.

MSK: This proves beyond any doubt that Angelos is SATAN! Also, we're cheap and we suck and we're going to lose 600 games next year.

:rolleyes:

What else would you call it?

Archived