Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

A go for it strategy has the chance of crippling our organization for another 15 years.

Just so it's clear, I'm OK with the Saunders/Morse approach. It's just not what I'd call a "go for it" strategy. It would be a fairly conservative, middle of the road approach, even though it does raise the payroll to about the major league average.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tigers are in the GO FOR IT MODE. so are the Angles. If the O's were truly in the GO FOR IT MODE they would have been in on Greinke and Hamilton, and have been willing to take the payroll to 150M.

Agreed. Absolutely no middle ground between "Morse/Saunders" big additions and "take the payroll to $150MM".

By the way, good post earlier. Sounds like a good read the organization's approach.

14. 15. How every many years it was.

I don't think there is anything this team could do that would sink it for that amount of time. That's 2028. The high school pitcher the O's will select in that draft was just potty trained last weekend...

You don't trade Hardy, unless you can find a 3B that would be better than Machado.

Because, if you trade Hardy, Machado most certainly will go to SS. So what 3B can you find that will equal Machado?

Bottom line are Hardy and Machado better than Machado (SS) and 3B equally as good as Machado was? Yes I think it is.

Now, if you can get Headley for 3B, well and move Machado to 3B...well Duh.

What could the Cubs possibly be getting that they'd give up a top 40 prospect in baseball for?
That's DET's problem. They are win now and Hardy would do wonders for that hideous IF. If they want him thry have to shell out to the Cubs. I'm happy keeping Hardy.

I think Saunders and Morse are not what comes to mind for most people when they think of a "go for it" strategy. Neither is exactly a flashy proposition. It's almost like saying the O's had a "go for it" strategy when they signed Aubrey Huff in 2007 and took their payroll to $93 mm, which I believe is the highest in team history to date.

DD has said how this team is being built. The stars are the guys the O's already have. Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Machado, Bundy, Jim Johnson. These are the stars. And DD is adding players that are needed to make the team a playoff contender. The O's are not spending 100M on a FA. But they gave Jones 88M. I have no doubt they will try to give Wieters a long term contract if Boras will take it. DD has told us what he is doing if we just listen.

If you think Buck and DD are "Maintaining appearances" they are difference man from the guys I think they are. I think these two want to win now and see the opportunity with the O's players and the drop back several other teams in the division. Maintaining appearance never enters their minds IMO.
I think you want to win now and are projecting onto Buck and DD. They are trying to build a solid organization. This has always been their MO. By maintaining the appearence of contending I mean insuring that the club is an 84-86 W team. That will keep them in the hunt and make for another exciting season. But to GO FO IT would mean adding 10 W worth of players at an additional 50 M.

I think you want to win now and are projecting onto Buck and DD. They are trying to build a solid organization. This has always been their MO. By maintaining the appearence of contending I mean insuring that the club is an 84-86 W team. That will keep them in the hunt and make for another exciting season. But to GO FO IT would mean adding 10 W worth of players at an additional 50 M.

Spot on, sir.

I just don't see where we can get a 3B that will equal the value of Machado when we move him off of 3B to fill the hole at SS that Hardy would leave behind.

Agree with both of these points.

The loss of Hardy who had a sub .700 OPS will cripple this franchise for over a decade?!?! No way man. It's easy to find a SS who can play with GG defense...see Brendan Ryan.

Well, it's most certainly not easy to find a shortstop that plays defense like Brendan Ryan. But the bar for "average MLB shortstop" is fairly low, as far as overall production packages are concerned. And Hardy was around the 12-15th best SS in baseball last year, I think, which didn't stop the O's from making the playoffs.

I didn't say Hardy would. Don't misquote me.

Oops, my stupidity got the best of me. I agree with your original point. Going for it, would in fact cripple our franchise. Which is why I can't wait to see the Blue Jays this year!

I look at Dickey's stats witht he Mets in that huge ballpark and in the NL, and then look at his AL splits and it pleases me. I can't wait for R.A. to pitch in Baltimore.

That is not the way DD is building this team. DD is promoting talented young players early. Machado, I think we can expect the same from Bundy and Gausman. That keeps the payroll low as compared to sign Hamilton for 125M. The O's are in a position to have a young talented, playoff experienced team for a price that is 50M lower than other teams. Its taking advantage of #1 draft choices that the O's had to be on the bottom of the league to get. Now they are maturing and DD is putting what is needed around them - if he can sign who he wants.

Archived