Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could be argued that Reynolds was an addition by subtraction- the DH platoon(or Morse if we acquire him) are pretty much locks to be better than Reynolds was for 2/3 of last year. Hardy and Machado should have better years. Whoever ends up at 2B will almost certainly outproduce Andino; at the very least, it would be incredibly difficult for them to be worse. Betemit won't get 100 PAs against lefties.

I see no reason to think that the offense won't match or exceed 2012. And the defense should be much improved overall, and save us quite a few runs- which is why I want to keep Hardy even if he's only posting a .300ish OBP. GG defense and 20+ HR power are hard to find in tandem at SS, especially at his pricetag.

I think you're grasping for straws a bit and putting alot of faith in "what if's" and "should's." I tend to be more of a realist. I think they are a worse team offensively and if they're lucky (a lot riding on Davis adapting to 1b) then they'll be "as good" defensively as they were last season. When you take into consideration the fact that every team in the East has arguably improved (Tampa "might" be the exception) I don't see how they can match last season's success.

And yes I realize that they'll have a full season of McLouth and Reimold, but again that can go both ways. There's a reason McLouth was essentially out of baseball a short time ago. Penciling him in for 400+ ABs might shine a light on those reasons. And the chances of Reimold staying healthy are 50/50, based on his injury history. Things like this have to be taken into consideration.

You're putting alot of faith in player development aren't you? Because they haven't improved offensively (on paper) and the odds are against them maintaining that ridiculous win rate for extra inning games. For every step forward a Machado takes someone like like Jim Johnson is just as likely to tack one step back.

Starting pitching is where it's at. The offense figures to be about the same. The W-L results of the relievers will be worse even if they do a good job. So, it's up to the starting pitchers. They were very good in the second half of last year. You either believe they can repeat that (in which case we definitely could be a 90-win team even without the extra-inning and one-game performances), or you don't believe it. But whether one believes it or not, the truth is, none of us knows.

Starting pitching is where it's at. The offense figures to be about the same. The W-L results of the relievers will be worse even if they do a good job. So, it's up to the starting pitchers. They were very good in the second half of last year. You either believe they can repeat that (in which case we definitely could be a 90-win team even without the extra-inning and one-game performances), or you don't believe it. But whether one believes it or not, the truth is, none of us knows.

...and the defense? Reynolds was looking like Don Mattingly at 1b towards the end of the season. Davis is just too "beefy" to ever be that agile and flexible.

...and the defense? Reynolds was looking like Don Mattingly at 1b towards the end of the season. Davis is just too "beefy" to ever be that agile and flexible.

The defense will take a small hit at 1B, not nearly as big as some think.

At this point, I'd almost be down with DD coming out and saying "You know what? Screw it. We're rolling with what we've got. See you at the trade deadline."

I'm with you. The worst trades are always the ones would make because you ""need"" to do something. We don't "need" to do anything, simple as that. Reimold could be the MOO bat. If not, Pitching is more important to a teams success anyway.

I'm really warming to the idea of us trading Jim Johnson and rolling the dice with Strop as a replacement for him. Didn't make as much sense when I suggested it July, but I think it does now. And Detroit is probably interested in him. I say offer Hardy / Johnson for Castellano / Porcello and maybe another prospect, and have them include Peralta, so we have a contginency plan for 3b in 2013 if Castellano needs some more minor league seasoning.

Hardy, JJ, + [Arrieta/Hoes/Avery]

Should be enough for Porcello and Nicky.

Eh....I don't know. Detroit would like a closer -- not desperate for one. Also not desperate for a SS upgrade considering they are already heavy favorites in the division and get VMart back next year. I could see moving Porcello for a closer in the right deal, but little reason to move Castellanos unless it is landing you a monster piece (maybe a trade deadline deal if the right arm is available).

I'm really warming to the idea of us trading Jim Johnson and rolling the dice with Strop as a replacement for him. Didn't make as much sense when I suggested it July, but I think it does now. And Detroit is probably interested in him. I say offer Hardy / Johnson for Castellano / Porcello and maybe another prospect, and have them include Peralta, so we have a contginency plan for 3b in 2013 if Castellano needs some more minor league seasoning.

I'm not willing to overlook 95% of Strop's season, but there is just no way that you can put him in the closer role from the outset. I'd much rather have Hunter in the closers role, or work Arrieta into it. We're talking Carlos Marmol implosions.

Reimold could be the MOO bat. If not, Pitching is more important to a teams success anyway.

Why do people always say that? Because the O's haven't had a truly good pitching staff in 15 years? The Orioles (or Rays, or any number of other teams) could have had great years if only they'd had some more offense. Don't you remember October, when the Orioles couldn't buy a run? I'd rather have a .380 OBP than another solid starter.

Archived