Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they really thought that the thing standing between them and a title was a closer, and that Porcello was expendable, why not just make Porcello the closer?

Leyland likes velo in the 9th.

Edit: I should note that Valverde doesn't throw that much harder than Porcello, but I'd assume Leyland gives him a couple bonus points for "experience in the role". I wouldn't expect the Tigers to do anything forward leaning with the role, but what do I know? I like the idea of Porcello closing, though not as much as I like moving him for better pieces. Let Rodon close, and if he can't then worry about it in-season.

Leyland likes velo in the 9th.

Edit: I should note that Valverde doesn't throw that much harder than Porcello, but I'd assume Leyland gives him a couple bonus points for "experience in the role". I wouldn't expect the Tigers to do anything forward leaning with the role, but what do I know? I like the idea of Porcello closing, though not as much as I like moving him for better pieces. Let Rodon close, and if he can't then worry about it in-season.

Ah, you snuck in the edit! I went and checked and Valverde only has about 1.5 mph on Porcello, and most (if not all) of that would disappear in the transition to the pen. :)

Ah, you snuck in the edit! I went and checked and Valverde only has about 1.5 mph on Porcello, and most (if not all) of that would disappear in the transition to the pen. :)

I'd think we can expect some sort of velo bump, but remember Porcello saw some velo drop at the MLB level in order to get heavier sink on his 2S and improve his command. I don't know how much he'd gas up in relief, and if he did I wonder if his 2S would be the same? In any event, I think they would probably prefer to move him for a couple pieces than relegate him to the pen. There are enough teams that would love to get the 24 year old and see what they can do with him.

That said, I like your thought of moving him to the pen. Could be a really interesting move.

I thought they have a future closer in the minors that is ready to go this season? I read he is expected to be in the ROY race, can't remember his name.

You're right. I think that's Rondon (mentioned earlier). Don't know HOW ready though.

I think you're grasping for straws a bit and putting alot of faith in "what if's" and "should's." I tend to be more of a realist. I think they are a worse team offensively and if they're lucky (a lot riding on Davis adapting to 1b) then they'll be "as good" defensively as they were last season. When you take into consideration the fact that every team in the East has arguably improved (Tampa "might" be the exception) I don't see how they can match last season's success.

And yes I realize that they'll have a full season of McLouth and Reimold, but again that can go both ways. There's a reason McLouth was essentially out of baseball a short time ago. Penciling him in for 400+ ABs might shine a light on those reasons. And the chances of Reimold staying healthy are 50/50, based on his injury history. Things like this have to be taken into consideration.

If it wasn't for his 4-6 week tear in August/September, Reynolds would've been looking at a Minor League deal for 2013- giving his ABs to Betemit, Reimold, and whichever RH hitter wins the RH DH gig will be a major improvement. Also, the improved depth of RH bats will keep Betemit from getting almost 100 PAs against lefties. That's several hundred PAs of demonstrable improvement right there.

If it wasn't for his 4-6 week tear in August/September, Reynolds would've been looking at a Minor League deal for 2013- giving his ABs to Betemit, Reimold, and whichever RH hitter wins the RH DH gig will be a major improvement. Also, the improved depth of RH bats will keep Betemit from getting almost 100 PAs against lefties. That's several hundred PAs of demonstrable improvement right there.

Betemit got so many AB vs. LHP last year because we needed him to man 3B so often, which hopefully won't be necessary in 2013. However, I ackowledge that I'd like one more legit RH bat, rather than counting on "depth" like Valencia or Pearce

It was a span of 9 games that kept Reynolds from having an OPS of .696.

Archived