Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

Personally I think if the O's are going to require a pitcher from the Cubs this makes a lot of sense.

DET: Hardy/Marmol

CHI: Porcello/Avisail Garcia/Rodon

O's: Garza

O's might have to give another so so prospect, but it makes sense for all parties involved.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But do you think it's easy to find shortstops who have been worth 7.0 rWAR in the last two years? Brendan Ryan had a .555 OPS last year, Hardy's hardly in that company.

Depends how you look at "company" (particularly the defense). Ryan had a 6.9 rWAR the past two years (with less playing time) and he had a better rWAR than Hardy did last year even with a 555 OPS.

The O's window is defined by the term of Wieters control. IF they were going for it this year they would have been looking to do more than add a Gomes, a Sunders, Scheirholtz, or Morse. They are looking to maintan the 86 W team and hope that internal improvements(Machado, Hardy, Reimold, Davis, Wieters, etc,) cam take them furher. Next season might be the time to GO FOR IT, assuming they don't backslide, and there will be a difference making 2B on the market, if they want to spend 20 M. or more per,

Plus a full year of McLouth, Machado, Gonzo, Tillman and maybe Saunders. The return from injury of Roberts and Reimold (I am skepical).

Six months ago the 2013 combined production for all of the players in your post would have been about zero. While half a year can nudge your projections one way or the other, I'd be cautious in projecting those guys to be most of the reason a middling team is going to playoff-bound.

I agree with you as to the direction the O's are taking, but I don't see how we could work a 3-way deal and get both Porcello and Soler. As I understand it, the whole reason for the Cubs' discussions with the Tigers is that the Cubs are targeting Porcello. It seems to me that for the Cubs to give up a prospect like Soler, they would have to get back Porcello in the deal. No?
Then what about Castellanos and Soler? I'm just speculating. I doubt they trade Hardy.

Threads like this crack me up. We haven't been able to pull off a single, significant trade this offseason (not placing any blame) and now we're going to pull off two, one of which is a three team deal? I'm all for trading Hardy, but the Oriole's have to already have a contigency plan in place for 3b if they move him, and shift Machado to SS. They DO NOT have a viable in-house 3B option. Not for this season.

If I'm not mistake the Os were linked to Peralta when the Porcello rumors first started. I'm not a fan, but he'd probably be a better option than we have. Really don't like like Peralta though.

The O's window is defined by the term of Wieters control. IF they were going for it this year they would have been looking to do more than add a Gomes, a Sunders, Scheirholtz, or Morse. They are looking to maintan the 86 W team and hope that internal improvements(Machado, Hardy, Reimold, Davis, Wieters, etc,) cam take them furher. Next season might be the time to GO FOR IT, assuming they don't backslide, and there will be a difference making 2B on the market, if they want to spend 20 M. or more per,

With the current roster....not a chance in H E double hockey sticks.

Six months ago the 2013 combined production for all of the players in your post would have been about zero. While half a year can nudge your projections one way or the other, I'd be cautious in projecting those guys to be most of the reason a middling team is going to playoff-bound.

Not every young player will improve but there is depth especially in the pitching. Adding depth with Saunders and Morse would help.

Bottom line in a lot of this discussion - Would you rather have Bundy and Morse (while trading away a couple of prospects that the O's will likely never miss), OR would you rather have Upton and considerably less cash available to spend for each of the next 3 years.

If the price for Morse is as low as some think, I'd rather have Morse because given the other moves we have made (and not made), I wouldn't bet we're much of a contender next year and want the flexibility for the future. However, I'd also be testing the market for Hardy. We don't really know if DD is doing this or not but, fwiw (probably not much), the rumors aren't there.

DD has said how this team is being built. The stars are the guys the O's already have. Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Machado, Bundy, Jim Johnson. These are the stars. And DD is adding players that are needed to make the team a playoff contender. The O's are not spending 100M on a FA. But they gave Jones 88M. I have no doubt they will try to give Wieters a long term contract if Boras will take it. DD has told us what he is doing if we just listen.

Problem is that a lot of folks on here do not listen or believe what they are hearing.

With the current roster....not a chance in H E double hockey sticks.

A lot of people, myself included, think that the Orioles are roughly an 85 win team right now. Personally, I think that it could swing 3 or 4 wins in either direction depending on who improves and who regresses. But to say that a 93 win team that hasn't really lost anyone significant and may yet add some quality pieces has no chance in Hell if winning 86 games is pretty ridiculous, don't you think?

As for trading Hardy, count me in the "no" camp- I doubt we'd be getting a quality 3B back, and there aren't really any available on the market. The gaping hole that the move would open up would be visible from the moon. Our defense on the left side of the IF was a large part of our second half success and I would have to be blown away by an offer to consider tinkering with it.

Oops, my stupidity got the best of me. I agree with your original point. Going for it, would in fact cripple our franchise. Which is why I can't wait to see the Blue Jays this year!

I look at Dickey's stats witht he Mets in that huge ballpark and in the NL, and then look at his AL splits and it pleases me. I can't wait for R.A. to pitch in Baltimore.

Yea, I can't wait. I was at Citi Field last year in June when he threw a one hitter against the O's. For your info the fences at Citi Field were moved in prior to the 2012 season.

Archived