Danny Valencia and PED

Greg

"As any innocent person would be, I am shocked and troubled that my name is in any way connected to this story," Valencia said. "I have never met or spoken to anyone connected with Biogenesis, in fact I had never even heard of this company prior to the New Times' story.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130205&content_id=41425364&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
?During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples.

?There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch?s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ?moneys owed? and not on any other list.

?I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch.

?I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.?

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/02/05/braun-statement-2/

Okay, two questions.

1. Why were Braun's attorneys "familiar" with Bosch to begin with?

2. Braun was facing extreme financial losses and damage to his personal and professional reputation if his positive test was upheld. So why would his attorneys go to a strip mall anti-aging clinic for advice on how to formulate the appeal? Wouldn't you want the absolute best world renowned experts on the subject matter?

I'm justy throwing that out there because it seems like an odd route to take.

Connect the dots.

"Over the winter, even before Rodriguez made it official with Lozano, he was seen hanging out with a trio of highly ranked Miami-based prospects: the Orioles' Manny Machado, the Reds' Yonder Alonso, and the Twins' Danny Valencia. A South Florida-based agent says Rodriguez was the elder statesmen showing the kids a good time: parties, events, and just chilling at his condo. In February, all three left their current agencies and signed with Dan Lozano." http://deadspin.com/5861982/dan-lozano-albert-pujolss-superagent-king-of-sleaze-mountain

I am betting on Buck on this one. He is a detail guy, right. Buck was hired by the Orioles in August 2010. Machado was drafted on the first round of the 2010 and signed with the O's in August. It was well known that he idolized ARod. ARod had admited steroid use in Feb of 2009. It couldn't have gotten pass Buck that Manny was training with ARod in the off season. Buck is enough on a detail guy to have had the people that Manny trusts talk to him about how important it was to so stay clean.

I just don't see how Buck could miss this. He was a whole organization guy from day one with the O's and certainly was all over understanding who Manny was by the off season of 2010.

Really by this same logic we suspect players who were on the same teams with Canseco. I'm not saying Manny is on PED's. I fevently hope not, but the people he associates with give me reason to have pause. I don't think people grasp what a total scumbag Lazano is, let alone ARoid. Jack Ruby wasn't connected to the mob, he just happened to have worked for AL Capone, Santos Trafficante, Richard Nixon, and Jimmy Hoffa. But he really was a good guy.

Based on the sheer number of people who have been on PEDs, simply "associating" with someone who is on them would, by this logic, "implicate" almost everyone in Major League Baseball.

Acting like Alex Rodriguez, one of the greatest players of all time, should be treated like a pariah because he uses PEDs reeks of the sort of witch hunt mentality that I find so objectionable.

What percentage of Major Leaguers do you think are on PEDs? What percentage of those on PEDs get caught?

I am betting on Buck on this one. He is a detail guy, right. Buck was hired by the Orioles in August 2010. Machado was drafted on the first round of the 2010 and signed with the O's in August. It was well known that he idolized ARod. ARod had admited steroid use in Feb of 2009. It couldn't have gotten pass Buck that Manny was training with ARod in the off season. Buck is enough on a detail guy to have had the people that Manny trusts talk to him about how important it was to so stay clean.

I just don't see how Buck could miss this. He was a whole organization guy from day one with the O's and certainly was all over understanding who Manny was by the off season of 2010.

Why do you assume that Buck thinks it important that his players be clean?

Based on the sheer number of people who have been on PEDs, simply "associating" with someone who is on them would, by this logic, "implicate" almost everyone in Major League Baseball.

Acting like Alex Rodriguez, one of the greatest players of all time, should be treated like a pariah because he uses PEDs reeks of the sort of witch hunt mentality that I find so objectionable.

What percentage of Major Leaguers do you think are on PEDs? What percentage of those on PEDs get caught?

During the recent HOF stuff someone did some research and figured out that if you were active in 2000 (I forget the exact year) there was about a 90% chance you'd been teammates with someone who was directly, explicitly tied to PED use. In other words, everyone in the majors from who knows when has been teammates with someone who used PEDs.

"As any innocent person would be, I am shocked and troubled that my name is in any way connected to this story," Valencia said. "I have never met or spoken to anyone connected with Biogenesis, in fact I had never even heard of this company prior to the New Times' story.

"I take tremendous pride in the hard work and dedication I put into being a professional baseball player and have never taken PEDs or failed a drug test of any kind during my career. I look forward to fully cooperating in MLB's investigation in any way that I can, and will explore taking legal action if this issue is not resolved in a timely fashion."

Valencia, Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Milwaukee's Ryan Braun reportedly are on a list that also includes Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and Cesar Carrillo, whom the New York Times reported allegedly received performance-enhancing drugs from operator Anthony Bosch. Braun is a former MVP whose positive test for synthetic testosterone during the 2011 postseason was overturned by appeal through a technicality related to the way the test sample was handled.

Valencia -- like Cervelli and Braun -- does not have his name appear next to any specific PEDs on the list, and his name is reportedly scratched out on the bottom.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130205&content_id=41425364&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

Well, it is odd that Valencia's name would appear in these records, but I'd say that this is about the thinnest evidence imaginable.

I understand how in Miami people may not dislike ARod quite like the rest of America. But really Machado has to wise up and dump his friendship with this guy. It wont turn out well if he keeps hanging with him.

I would not expect him to dump his friendship with ARod. Just because he is dirty doesn't mean Manny will do the same. IMO

I would not expect him to dump his friendship with ARod. Just because he is dirty doesn't mean Manny will do the same. IMO

Ray Lewis had some "dirty" friends in Atlanta. The lesson he learned was to know who you're friends are and stay away from bad influences.

Lets hope Manny doesn't have to learn his lesson the hard way here with ARod.

Archived