Bob Haynie: Cautiously Optimistic about 2013

MemorialStadKid

The argument against Saunders, I think, is that we have quite a few talented younger pitchers and we need the space in the rotation to let the best of them compete at the big league level and learn what they need to learn. I know that's a hard message to sell when we've seen Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Tillman take their lumps over the last four years after being so hyped up in the minors. But there is an argument for letting them (plus Steve Johnson and eventually Wada) compete for spots, learn from experience, and then maybe Bundy or Gausman gets a shot if most of those guys fail, and if that doesn't work, then going and getting a Saunders-equivalent for the pennant stretch if we're still in it. Tillman finally seemed to step up last year, and maybe 2013 is the year that someone else figures it all out. I think a Saunders acquisition would have made all the sense in the world if making the playoffs again in 2013 was the only goal we had, but I think that is only one of our goals. We are trying to build an organization and a culture for the long run, while also competing for a playoff spot at the same time. It's a tough balancing act and you could argue it either way IMO.

Really good post by Frobby here that shouldn't be lost in the trash.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can buy the argument that Saunders would/may have blocked the development of the plethora of younger SP options...

but I keep coming back to how you don't sign Mark Reynolds for 6 million dollars

Put Reynolds at 1B, Davis in LF, Reimold/Betemit at DH, and let McClouth be the super sub 4th OF'er.

I don't think Davis will survive at 1B, no matter how you sugar coat it he was dropping perfect throws that hit him in the glove last year.

McClouth won't hit enough to be a legitimate LF'er

Reimold can't be expected to be healthy.

Bottom line Reynolds was blocking no one. We have zero corner OF or 1B prospects in the system.

We had a great second half last year. Reynolds and Saunders are gone and replaced by hope.

Boston quit after they had the fire sell and we beat them like a drum.

Toronto has made major improvement

The Rays and Yankees may have slid a little.

Hard for me to see where we will get 93 wins from

Nice to see Casey Stern from MLB Network Radio agrees with me:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/02/13/national-thoughts-on-the-os/

MLB Network Radio show host Casey Stern joined Glenn Younes on Wednesday night to preview the Orioles and the rest of the American League East division. Casey shed light on his opinion of the lack of moves for the O’s this offseason and that it may affect the Orioles in a bad way. He compared the Orioles to the Indians and believed the O’s should have made the moves the Indians made.

He makes some excellent points about the first 30 days of 2013 season. We didn't make a single move that made a statement. He sums it up perfectly.

MSK

Nice to see Casey Stern from MLB Network Radio agrees with me:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/02/13/national-thoughts-on-the-os/

He makes some excellent points about the first 30 days of 2013 season. We didn't make a single move that made a statement. He sums it up perfectly.

MSK

Yes we did. The statement was "we value of young pitching more than what other teams are willing to give us for them, so we're not making any stupid trades just to make the impression that we made a move."

Yes we did. The statement was "we value of young pitching more than what other teams are willing to give us for them, so we're not making any stupid trades just to make the impression that we made a move."

Did you even listen to the interview? He makes some excellent points about the lack of movement. I'm not even talking about high-spending FAs, but something!

He felt they needed to add at least ONE veteran TOR starter at the absolute least. I doubt you'll listen to the interview though.

MSK

Did you even listen to the interview? He makes some excellent points about the lack of movement. I'm not even talking about high-spending FAs, but something!

He felt they needed to add at least ONE veteran TOR starter at the absolute least. I doubt you'll listen to the interview though.

MSK

No need. You summarize these articles/interviews perfectly for me!!! :D

MSK

You don't just "add a veteran TOR starter". You pay through the nose for one, like Toronto did.

In all seriousness, I think you should listen to it. He makes some excellent points, I'll repeat. He discusses all our holes and position players.

MSK

I'm sure its the same as all the others.

1) we made no moves to improve on last year, and thus we'll suck

2) we can't win all them 1 run and extra inning games again, and thus we'll suck

3) the Blue Jays paid one gazillion dollars on players, and thus they'll be in first place, and the Orioles will suck

4) even though the Yankees are aging, they have well known name players, and thus they'll be great, and the Orioles will suck

5) even though the Sox have looked really bad the past two years, they bought a bunch of name players, and thus they'll be great, and the Orioles will suck

6) the Orioles are depending on healthy Reimold and Roberts, and that won't happen, so thus we'll suck

7) the Orioles should have bought Hamilton as their MOO bat, but didn't, and thus we'll suck

Am I close?

Not sure why MSK is getting killed on here. It's a perfect logical opinion that the Orioles did not have a very good off season and should not have basically stood pat. In fact, outside of the core Orioles fans, most observers seem to think the Orioles are in for a big fall back after their great 2012.

Personally, I think the Orioles should have added a MOO bat to the lineup and hoping that a guy who hit 19 doubles and struck out 160+ times last year is going to be a MOO is a bit on the hopeful side. I'd rather have Britton than Saunders for a full year as the 5th starter and with Bundy and Gausman in the wings, I had no problem with parting with Saunders.

Maybe Tillman and Gonzalez are for real and maybe Hammels can stay healthy and pitch effectively like he did last year. Maybe Jim Johnson can repeat his almost perfect role as closer and maybe the Orioles can repeat their amazing run of one-run and extra inning wins like last year. Maybe Jones, Wieters, Davis will continue to develop and maybe Machado will take another step forward offensively at 20-years of age in the AL East. Maybe JJ will hit better then he did last year and maybe Brian Roberts can be the first 35-year old to come back from basically missing two and half years of his career. Maybe Nolan Reimold will stay healthy for the first time in his career and maybe Nate McLouth can repeat the stats he had with the Orioles instead of becoming the guy he was when he got here.

All of this could happen and maybe the Orioles will compete again in 2013. It's spring training and hope breeds eternal during this time of year, and I do think the Orioles should be decent this year, but let's not act like the guys who have some questions about this off season and teams are just negative nellies.

That's a whole lot of maybe's if you ask me and the Orioles will have to prove a lot of people wrong two years in a row. Maybe they will.

I'm sure its the same as all the others.

1) we made no moves to improve on last year, and thus we'll suck

2) we can't win all them 1 run and extra inning games again, and thus we'll suck

3) the Blue Jays paid one gazillion dollars on players, and thus they'll be in first place, and the Orioles will suck

4) even though the Yankees are aging, they have well known name players, and thus they'll be great, and the Orioles will suck

5) even though the Sox have looked really bad the past two years, they bought a bunch of name players, and thus they'll be great, and the Orioles will suck

6) the Orioles are depending on healthy Reimold and Roberts, and that won't happen, so thus we'll suck

7) the Orioles should have bought Hamilton as their MOO bat, but didn't, and thus we'll suck

Am I close?

Instead of trashing MSK, maybe you can give us reasons why we should think everything is going to be fine. Show us why the Orioles will be as good as last year. You spend a lot of times trashing opposing opinion but I don't see you providing a lot of data or opinions from national sources that agree with your rosy outlook.

I love ya man, and I know you mean well and you generally are a positive guy, but MSK has yet to act like a jerk in these threads.

Okay, I'm guessing you didn't check out the interview either?

:eek:

MSK

Seriously, who knows the issues better with the Orioles than the people on this board? I think everyone here is entirely aware that almost every outside analyst thinks we should have added more free agents. I don't need to read continual references from you to get that point. You, me and almost any person with half a brain on this board knows why we didn't. I'm not saying that I didn't want PA to raise payroll and shell out more money for free agents to improve the team, I'm just saying we all know the reasons why it didn't happen.

So, I don't need to read the interview. I and other posters on here are fully aware of what our weakness are. Moreso than any outside analyst and almost certainly more than you.

Archived