So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:):)

2 for 3 with 2 doubles, made a pitcher balk, 2 runs....very encouraging! Just missed a HR by a foot.

And another bad defensive play in the field that thankfully Davis saved him on.

To the extent that early spring training games matter at all (and they don't matter much), I'm inclined to look at the positives more than the negatives. It's nice to know that BRob can drive a pitch to the fence. As to his shoddy defense, it's still February. I'll be more concerned if he's still looking shoddy in mid-March.

Haha, I gotta say I saw this comment coming.

I'd argue that he rushed the throw because of the speedy runner and the incoming slide. But safe to say he's still coming around defensively.

If the OP is going to make a reactionary post because Roberts had a nice day at the plate then I am going to remind folks about his defense.

I have been saying all along that his defense at second is a concern. In fact I think I have mentioned his glove more then his bat.

If the OP is going to make a reactionary post because Roberts had a nice day at the plate then I am going to remind folks about his defense.

I have been saying all along that his defense at second is a concern. In fact I think I have mentioned his glove more then his bat.

Do you have something against BRob? Just curious.

Do you have something against BRob? Just curious.

I don't think the knock on BRob's overall value as a player is much different than any Yankee fan's knock on Jeter as a player.

Fan favorite, not what he used to be, probably a liability on defense, injury risk, some pop left in the bat. We still love him.

Well, this is the ultimate in small sample size... but doubles were always BRob's calling card (IMO) so it is awesome to see him get two.

By the way, do you know who holds the all-time MLB record for doubles in a season by a switch-hitter?

I've got another one... Do you know who the four players are to ever have three or more seasons with 50+ doubles? Ever? In MLB history?

Okay, I'll spot you three and you fill in the fourth: Stan Musial, Tris Speaker and Paul Waner (all in the Hall).

It's worth noting that last year in 66 ABs Brian had 0 XBHs, so showing any power at all is a positive sign.

Well, Brian had 5 doubles and a homer in 55 PA in his minor league rehab stint last year, and the quality of the pitching he faced there is probably close to what he's seen in the first several days of spring training. (Even if he has faced some major league pitchers this spring, they are scraping the rust off at this point and you're not really seeing their best stuff.)

Archived