So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

BRob is clealry feeling good about himself:

"I think today was a big step," he said. "I felt really good. I felt confident in getting on the bases and running and being aggressive. I think my mindset has continued to get better and better every day, and I continue to get more and more confident in what I'm doing in every aspect of the game. And the speed of the game is starting to come back and I'm starting to slow everything down more and more. I think part of it is playing multiple days in a row and getting used to trying to get prepared to go out there and play a whole bunch of games.

"I think if I get 600 at-bats, I'll do the same things I always did. I'm not a different player, I just missed a couple years. I really believe that you'll see, hopefully if I get that, the same numbers and stats that I always have."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/03/game-update-and-latest-from-roberts-and-matusz.html

That would be....awesome!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have seen this spring I think he is the same player. I think he will be good as long as he is healthy. With guys his age it is always a big question all we can hope for is the best. With him and Flaherty I am pretty comfortable that we are going to be much improved at 2b this season.

If we get 3 WAR from Roberts this season, I'm calling a playoff spot.

Yeah, I'd like our chances in that scenario. We don't have many holes in our lineup, and 2B is really the most glaring one. If that turned from a negative to a significant positive, the overall impact on our offense would be large.

Another big day for BRob. .361/.425/.528 this spring now. There are going to be a lot of posters eating serious crow if this carries over into the season. Especially the "Roberts should just retire and stop stealing the Orioles' money" crowd.

Another big day for BRob. .361/.425/.528 this spring now. There are going to be a lot of posters eating serious crow if this carries over into the season. Especially the "Roberts should just retire and stop stealing the Orioles' money" crowd.

Well, that was always a stupid argument. I'd love to be "wrong" about Roberts - although the only valid criticism of a projection is re: its methodology, not its results. Copout, or admirable rigor?! You decide! :D

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Most of those numbers were ranked up against minor leaguers. Let not get ahead of ourselves here. I hope BRob can stay healthy and put up great numbers. But his throwing is a real question mark. And him staying healthy is no sure thing. I never thought he should retire but I am still in "prove it" mode for him being able to stay healthy and produce offensively and defensively.

Archived