So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

bolded are my responses.
Why do I have to project something to be encouraged by him? All I was saying is that I would rather have 75% of the old BRob instead of our other options. It's that simple.

Something that isn't defined doesn't mean much of anything.

I'm not chastising others for thinking he won't be very good. Every Orioles fan has their right with their skepticism. I am skeptical too. I'm chastising those saying they would rather have weaker players out on the field than him and those that infuse their pessimism in what is optimistic.

So shouldn't it be fair for others to chastise you if they believe Casilla/other options may be the stronger player going forward?

Fine, if you were the one that made the comment about the high schooler, yes I remember you saying his second double was impressive. Still does not take away from the fact that the first comment you posted was something negative about a positive, which was my entire point. And it's not just you, there are many fans here doing it. It baffles me.

Yeah, funny you left that out. I also added that "maybe Brob does still have something in the tank". You left that out too. Again, negative analysis doesn't imply blind negativity. It's the subject of debate and what this board should (and does) thrive on. If a lot of people are pessimistic about Brob, they have every reason to be imo. Doesn't make them any less of a "supporter" than you are.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something that isn't defined doesn't mean much of anything.

So shouldn't it be fair for others to chastise you if they believe Casilla/other options may be the stronger player going forward?

Yeah, funny you left that out. I also added that "maybe Brob does still have something in the tank". You left that out too. Again, negative analysis doesn't imply blind negativity. It's the subject of debate and what this board should (and does) thrive on. If a lot of people are pessimistic about Brob, they have every reason to be imo. Doesn't make them any less of a "supporter" than you are.

Ok:) Go Orioles!

Insane question: Let's say BRob is raking at the plate but sucking wind at 2nd. Like, badly. Then what? He becomes a reserve infielder, pinch hitter/DH type? I don't think Buck/DD have much patience for defensive gaffs. They can turn games quickly, and this team is build on pitching and defense for the most part.

Just look at what happened when Manny came up last year, and Nate entered left field.

Good question. I'd say we deal with the defense and he plays everyday. Depends on "badly", but unless he's "Reynolds" bad I'd say he'd be starting everyday.

No it doesn't. It means average at best, but it clearly has a negative connotation.
It doesn't mean terrible. It doesn't mean a level of defense that would significantly cost the team W's like Reynolds at 3B e.g. would. It has negative conotations in the sense that something is not all that great. Synonyms: middling - moderate - indifferent - ordinary - mean.

Good question. I'd say we deal with the defense and he plays everyday. Depends on "badly", but unless he's "Reynolds" bad I'd say he starting everyday.
Looking at 2009, his DRS was -8. I doubt it would be much better, but with Casilla coming in for late inning defense, his bat could still justify his glove IMO.

Good question. I'd say we deal with the defense and he plays everyday. Depends on "badly", but unless he's "Reynolds" bad I'd say he'd be starting everyday.
Looking at 2009, his DRS was -8. I doubt it would be much better, but with Casilla coming in for late inning defense, his bat could still justify his glove IMO.

Probably this and a weekend start or two just to keep him fresh.

I admit I haven't read through this thread but I have at least two posts from various points in the winter I'm going to bump predicting Roberts is the Comeback Player of the Year with a .800+OPS when it comes true.

Again, it's a just-so-crazy-it's-going-to-happen-thing. Book it.:002_scool:

Archived