Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

I agree. That said if he were closing at the efficiency you hope for out of a closer we are a game or two back of first and have a solid grasp on one of those wild card spots.

I think it was reasonable to give a guy who had the success that Johnson had last season a chance to work through it. Its just not happening at this point. Beyond the 6 blown saves there have been several sketchy successful saves as well.

Indeed and I also have to say that while Mariano does not have many 1-2-3 innings anymore,he can still do something Johnson and a lot of others closers can't.

And that's not falling apart the minute someone gets on base. Johnson looks like a deer in headlights the minute someone gets on base and starts to unravel like he did tonight.

He doesn't have the mental toughness for it and it really is time to put someone else in that role.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of Johnson's quotes after the game: "I'll figure it out." I know I'm nitpicking now, but that soundbite is driving me crazy after every blown save.

It's not his job to figure it out. That's Bucks job. Why can't the guy ever say "I am stinking at closer, maybe we should let Gausman try"?

I guess their ego is too big for that. Ego is the downfall of any man. You should check it at the door.

One of Johnson's quotes after the game: "I'll figure it out." I know I'm nitpicking now, but that soundbite is driving me crazy after every blown save.

I wouldn't say your nitpicking, it was a tough loss. That being said Johnson comes across as such a sincere, stand-up guy that I find myself not at all bothered by statements like that coming from him.

Now Jones, otoh, who I'm a huge fan of mind you, constantly makes me roll my eyes when he talks about his hitting struggles. Although I thought he was very forthright about his defensive struggles early in the year.

Johnson is done. I'm confident Buck and Duke see this, especially after Buck used Hunter for the 2-inning save recently. We might have to stomach one more Johnson blown save, but Buck will make the right move. Johnson has very likely already cost us the division, but I'm confident he will be replaced as closer either the next save chance, or the following chance.

I got bashed and neg repped here when I said I could never trust Johnson again after what happened last year in the playoffs.

I was called a jerk, I was called pathetic. How is that looking now guys? You want Johnson in there in game 7 against the Yankees?

You can take back your neg reps now, but if that's not possible I will accept apologies.

The guy is done and it happens with relievers. Should have traded him in the offseason.

Why would anyone apologize.

Those calling for JJ to be replaced are doing so based on a body of work that he has accumulated this season including 6 saves.

Your call to that you could not "Trust" JJ was based on a postseason performance that left a lot to be desired but was also a in direct conflict with the success he had all season long.

The O's did the right thing. JJ earned the chance to show the playoffs were a fluke and that the JJ of the regular season last year was what we would get. At least initially he was proving that to be the case...which to my memory I do not recall you coming on here saying you were wrong when he had a sub 2.00 ERA and had not blown a save. Since then things have changed. Now there is a case to be had that JJ needs replacing.

ighTROU3du3vq.gif

Adam Jones is an Oriole, through and through.

In my anecdotal experience(s) of observing the players and their temperament(s), I haven't seen an Oriole that hated to lose to the Yankees this much since Melvin Mora played for us.

I got bashed and neg repped here when I said I could never trust Johnson again after what happened last year in the playoffs.

I was called a jerk, I was called pathetic. How is that looking now guys? You want Johnson in there in game 7 against the Yankees?

You can take back your neg reps now, but if that's not possible I will accept apologies.

The guy is done and it happens with relievers. Should have traded him in the offseason.

You were right, we were wrong.

It's not his job to figure it out. That's Bucks job. Why can't the guy ever say "I am stinking at closer, maybe we should let Gausman try"?

I guess their ego is too big for that. Ego is the downfall of any man. You should check it at the door.

Check your first post quoted above for ego.

The neon deja vu sign started flashing in my brain when I saw that Johnson was coming in, so I turned the TV off. I didn't want to see what I knew was going to happen.

I'm not going to bash Jim Johnson for blowing another save. No doubt he's fighting his own demons right now. I just hope that Showalter now comprehends the simple fact that JJ is no longer reliable as a closer, something our ever-brilliant manager should have realized long before now. Buck has to make a change now if the Orioles are going to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot.

You were right, we were wrong.

Check your first post quoted above for ego.

I don't have an ego. I have 2 lousy green bars instead of 5 because you jerks kept neg repping me. I don't even care about it. I am a lousy poster, with no posting skills. I'd like to hear JJ say he has been lousy. I would say it.

The neon deja vu sign started flashing in my brain when I saw that Johnson was coming in, so I turned the TV off. I didn't want to see what I knew was going to happen.

I'm not going to bash Jim Johnson for blowing another save. No doubt he's fighting his own demons right now. I just hope that Showalter now comprehends the simple fact that JJ is no longer reliable as a closer, something our ever-brilliant manager should have realized long before now. Buck has to make a change now if the Orioles are going to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot.

I think it was telling that Buck went out personally in the ninth. And equally telling that JJ promptly walked the very next hitter on 4 pitches. JJ is either hurt, or no longer cut out for the closer role.

I think it was telling that Buck went out personally in the ninth. And equally telling that JJ promptly walked the very next hitter on 4 pitches. JJ is either hurt, or no longer cut out for the closer role.

What did Buck say when he went out there for the 9nth? "Hey JJ you made 800 saves in a row you can do it buddy!"

Archived