Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

This is yet another loss on Buck. Johnson should have been removed as closer months ago. We now have 3 better pitchers than JJ in the bullpen, but Buck's stubborn and misguided loyalty will continue to cost us games we can't afford to lose.

I don't think I would consider Hunter better anymore. But KRod should be the closer now.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KROD had an easy 8th and I thought Buck might leave him in there. As the song says "What was I thinkin?" No! In comes kerosene and boom another HR to tie the game and two more hits boom boom. When he gave up the HR to the first hitter I almost threw up. Literally I felt like I was. How much longer Buck?

"I like the win rule." BS.

Honestly, if this continues, Jim Johnson might just end up costing Buck his job. There's just no reason to keep him as the closer, he's shown time and time again that he just can't get it done out there. We're not in the position to give away games in waiting for him to get his feel back.

Sometimes in the right year, all the things you do seem to work. In other years, no matter what you do they fail. I can count on one hand Buck's decisions last year. This year, I should keep a book. Still the best, but just saying.

I think you are spot on. Buck is going down with USS JJ.

Maybe you can make an argument he's the best we have. but he's just very painful to watch out there and is quite frankly sucking the wind out of me. No way we should pay this guy 8 mil next year.

I really don't think you can make that argument. O'Day and Hunter have been significantly better relievers this season, and K-Rod has a better track record.

Oh, but c'mon now, guys. He got out of the inning after blowing the lead. He showed real heart. I mean, if you look beyond the numbers, he actually pitched OK after...

...[prolonged fart noises]...

That's as poetic as I can be right now.

Is that you Buck?

"We're real lucky to have him."

I'm assuming we are well pass the whole "we have so many games left and the season isn't over" argument.

If we still want a shot at the postseason, we can't possibly let a guy who has blown 8 saves game be our closer. Give Matusz, O'day, Hunter, Matusz, Gausman or Rodriguez a chance.

I'd prefer Rodriguez as he has experience.

I know Buck has favorites but seriously....

This is getting old.

And he's about to lose it. Not just blow it. Tough loss for sure.
This is yet another loss on Buck. Johnson should have been removed as closer months ago. We now have 3 better pitchers than JJ in the bullpen, but Buck's stubborn and misguided loyalty will continue to cost us games we can't afford to lose.

The O's lost? Last I checked the game was in extra innings. :confused:

I've been a big defender of Jim Johnson. Some of the criticisms thrown his way, including those in the game threads, have bordered on personal and patently absurd, and I don't believe O'Day or Hunter are excellent alternatives. However, you have to start switching it up and using him in non-save situations and let Rodriguez close, or if necessary, put him on the DL and hope he rights the ship. Create a phantom injury or something, because something is just not right, and it hasn't been right since May.

Archived