Jones Bases Loaded Drop

jabba72

It might be subconcious but it also appears to be taking away from his concentration....Big Time. Players just dont drop flyballs this easy and this often. I also think a high pressure situation also plays into it. There have been other times when I thought Jones looked very akward while making an easy catch, and his positioning looked shaky on this flyball too. Jones was only one step onto the warning track. Jones could not have been thinking about the wall.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure the board didn't exist when Brooks made his errors. It is over the top, but still, something to be discussed...it did (partially) cost us a game.
What's to discuss? It's not like he was dogging it. The bubble gum thing is for morons to complain about. Sometimes even the most skilled athletes screw up. It's not worth 8 pages. It's boring.

I feel like this is the same thing as Ray Rice and playoff fumbles. People hold Jones to a higher standard (as well they should) because he's the star of the team. Period. You aren't supposed to drop the ball (or put it on the turf in Rice's case) and when you do people will criticize.

There's nothing to say except that it very well may have cost us the game tonight. Of course, if Patton doesn't drill Hafner after getting two strikes on him, we're not having this conversation either. Still though, we expect better.

What's to discuss? It's not like he was dogging it. The bubble gum thing is for morons to complain about. Sometimes even the most skilled athletes screw up. It's not worth 8 pages. It's boring.

Obviously most in the thread thought something was worth discussing. I agree the bubble blowing has nothing to do with (but a big part of the discussion), wouldn't say the dissenting group were moron's their points are valid, just most probably not accurate (IMO). So how many pages is it worth? Can you set guidelines on all of the discussions for us please, would make things easier.

He does seem to try to make things look too easy sometimes and should just get back and catch the ball. With that said, he got back there and took his eyes off the ball. It was a huge mistake, but with the way our pitching had been going I was questioning Buck's decision to intentionally walk a batter with two outs.

Any manager will walk a righty to get a lefty vs lefty matchup vs a batter who hit below the mendoza line vs lefties last year. And really- it should have worked. If Wieters is able to hold on to the strike 3 call, it's inning over. That's asking a lot on a slightly nicked foul ball, but he's done it before, and almost did. not saying he should of, but I am saying Buck doesn't plan on Patton HITTING the dude to load the bases.

Only a moron would call other posters morons. There's a line between arguing a point and calling names bud. Don't make me talk about your momma!

I don't care if Jones chews bubble gum or not. Whatever he does, he has to catch the damn ball.

Admit it--didn't you clench up a little earlier in the game when he had a routine flyball ball hit to him with two outs and men on base? Didn't you feel a bit relieved when he actually caught the ball?

Nate McLouth was a gold-glove caliber center fielder when he played in the National League. Maybe it's time to make a switch.

Only a moron would call other posters morons. There's a line between arguing a point and calling names bud. Don't make me talk about your momma!
I don't like my mother so you are welcome to say anything you like about her. And if you can't figure out that bubble gum has nothing to do with the play, I'm sorry but you're a moron. The major factor in the play IMO, was AJ's looking at where he was in relation to the wall. But it's not worth all the mishegas of this thread.

Ryan Zimmerman had a throwing error that cost the Nats a game. At least we are not alone.

Yeah but one is because of injury.................dude might not really be able to cut it at third anymore. Maybe they need to trade their 1st base and put Zimmermann over their and bring up Rendon? Perhaps in the offseason. I expect they will stick with Zimmermann for this year at least.

Watch the replay - he blows a large bubble literally the split second before the ball bounces off his glove. How can you possibly say that it has NOTHING to do with it?

Why does half the crowd in here WANT this player to continue poor fundamental behavior? When you don't tell someone they have a problem, how will they ever hope to correct it? If my friend has broccoli in his teeth, I tell him. Adam is my centerfielder. I want him on our team another 10 years. I do not want him to keep losing ballgames because of a stupid bad habit. It probably makes him feel like crap tonight, yet no one will call his attention to it.

He blew a bubble right before he dropped the ball, therefore he dropped the ball because he blew the bubble? That's fallacious logic.

I don't think Jones consciously decides, "I'm going to blow a bubble now." It's just a habit he has, that is reflexive. And if I say chewing gum relaxes Jones and makes him a better player, that's just as defensible as you saying that blowing bubbles hurts him.

I've been critical of some of Jones' fielding habits at various times, but could not care less about him blowing bubbles.

Archived