6-6 at .500-Your Thoughts?

Rene88

What's frustrating is that in our wins we look a lot like the 2012 team--good d, home runs, OK starting pitching, good bullpen.

In our losses we look like a different team--shaky d, too many strikeouts, shaky starting pitching, bullpen lapses.

At this point, I honestly don't know how we wouldn't be better served with Gausman moving into the rotation. I agree with Bill Ripken who commented on tv that we don't have a #1 starter, but we may have 7 #3s. That's great, but it's hard to imagine coming out on top in a division where we have to get by Sabathia, Kuroda, a resurgent Buchholz and Price.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This one hurt because it was on a national stage. Overall, if we can't beat this team of subs, we are in deep trouble.

However, it is a long season. But you got to win games against the Yankees against their scrubs.

I see the following this far:

We have better options than Pearce.

Jake may never "get it". He gets a few more starts (2-3) and it will be next man up.

Mark Reynolds would really have helped this team.

This Bundy injury is worse than they are letting on. (Just an opinion)

Lew Ford could help this team.

Have yet to read all the responses but wanted to reply to the question before I did. Losing the series to Minnesota is the main thing that bothers me and that only really bothers me because it happened (assuming, of course, that the bullpen holds the lead) on a very flukey play - ball lost in the sun, that would have otherwise ended the inning.

The reason I am encouraged though is because we have yet to lose a game by more then 3 runs. Of our 6 loses 4 of them are games that we could have very easily won. The first loss to Tampa was a bullpen implosion. Ayala's 3-run bomb to Duncan and then Strop running trouble which started off with a bunt single against the shift and a single that did the same. Even a great bullpen like the O's will have bad days, happens to all teams. The first loss to Minnesota was another back and forth affair where an error allowed the baserunner that eventually scored the go ahead/winning run. Again, frustrating but, again, happens. The next loss to the Twins I already discussed and was, IMHO, truly a gift and one that would be great to have back. Every team in the league probably has at least one of these losses (except maybe the Braves ;)) under their belt already this season, and if they don't they soon will. The loss to the Red Sox was a game where Chen kept us in the game but Buchholz pitched better. The first loss to the Yankees was similar to the Twins loss in that their winning runs are directly related to a fluke play. Baseballs almost never pop back out of a CFer's glove like that. If that games stays tied we might not win it in the end, who knows. Last night's loss was nearly a carbon copy of the loss to the Red Sox - Chen kept us in the game but Kuroda pitched better, Chen gives up a big HR.

Perhaps you could argue that we lucked into some of the wins we've had? I'm sure Rays, Twins and Red Sox fans can be just as angry about their bullpen implosions as we can, right?

Long way to get to my point but, ultimately, I feel good about the team. The starting pitching, while not great, has been solid. The bullpen looks to be stellar once again. The offense can be frustrating but is still decent.

I feel pretty good, so far, about Hammel, Chen and Gonzo. I think I'm going to feel pretty good about Tillman. Looking forward to how Arrieta looks tomorrow, but I know we have other options if he can't get it done. Hoping that Roberts can pick up where he left off once he returns, although I am not at all confident in that. Also, look around the league. Lots of teams are disappointing. I think the O's are going to get better.

As to some of your specific points. Reynolds is off to a great start so, yes, if he was having that same start with the O's I imagine that would help. I, for one, think there is no point in fretting over that. I wasn't particularly upset about seeing him go and I find it a little funny that some people (not saying this is you dshawg) were so upset about seeing him go when for 75% of last season so many people (some of them the same I'm sure) wanted to see him cut. I'm also not sure that Lew Ford would be able to help. He looked great in Spring Training but so did Steve Pearce. I thought Flaherty would be doing a much better job with the chance he is being given, but I guess I was wrong on that. Although watch what will happen, he'll start looking like an every day player and a real contributor with the bat JUST when Roberts is ready to come off the DL :D.

What's frustrating is that in our wins we look a lot like the 2012 team--good d, home runs, OK starting pitching, good bullpen.

In our losses we look like a different team--shaky d, too many strikeouts, shaky starting pitching, bullpen lapses.

At this point, I honestly don't know how we wouldn't be better served with Gausman moving into the rotation. I agree with Bill Ripken who commented on tv that we don't have a #1 starter, but we may have 7 #3s. That's great, but it's hard to imagine coming out on top in a division where we have to get by Sabathia, Kuroda, a resurgent Buchholz and Price.

I like both Bundy and Gausman right were they are right now. In the minors getting consistent work and refining their games (well Bundy recovering in his case)

Come trade deadline if they look MLB ready then it gives DD options to make a deal by moving one of the guys on the MLB pitching staff to get a bat if need be.

I applaud the O's for doing it right and not rushing these guys. They will find their way to big club when the time is right.

I think that those who predicted NY and Boston to battle it out for the basement might want to reevaluate. NY still has Jeter, Granderson, Teixeira, and others coming back at some point. Boston has a 1-2 punch on the mound in Lester and Buchholz that looks very formidable.

Earl's teams often started slow, looking a little sloppy in the process. I think we're seeing the same thing with Buck, who's trying to figure out what he has and get everyone playing time. If the defense had been better they're 8-4 or so, which is great with three tough road series so far. The sad part is I'm becoming convinced Weiters will never hit as much as hoped and, much as I like him, don't believe Hardy will ever come near his 2011 again. Along with 2B we have more lineup holes than expected and that 5th starters spot is a mess. Basically, all the off season concerns are still problems though there's lots of time and I believe Flaherty is a good player.

Don't really even worry about our record until Memorial Day, unless its horrible like 2010. We're fine right now.

This.

The Yanks were in last place to begin June last year. Everyone was throwing the dirt on them. How'd they turn out?

There are some concerning things right now for me, the biggest being Wieters and how to tread water at 2b until BRob returns, but bringing up Reynolds over and over makes no sense. I will bet by year's end, Reimold has had a better season than Reynolds. Not sure how to judge that, but I'm willing to bet Nolan makes us forget about Mark Reynolds...and I'm a Reynolds fan.

As for the Yankees "scrubs." Their scrubs are overproducing right now. Youk and Wells over 1.000 OPS will not continue. We caught them at a hot time. Everything will even back out soon.

When you know that a sun-aided dropped fly ball changes our record from 6-6 to 7-5, being in every game, and a few miscues cost us the possibility of winning 2 games...then I'm relatively happy with our record at this point in the season. Especially since we've been on the road versus the Rays, versus the Yankees, and versus the Red Sox.

Come home, take 2 of the 3 from the Rays again. Move on.

Our starting pitching needs to go deeper. I have faith in Hammel, Chen, and Gonzo. I feel that they're all on the cusp of going at least 7.

When you know that a sun-aided dropped fly ball changes our record from 6-6 to 7-5, being in every game, and a few miscues cost us the possibility of winning 2 games...then I'm relatively happy with our record at this point in the season. Especially since we've been on the road versus the Rays, versus the Yankees, and versus the Red Sox.

Come home, take 2 of the 3 from the Rays again. Move on.

Our starting pitching needs to go deeper. I have faith in Hammel, Chen, and Gonzo. I feel that they're all on the cusp of going at least 7.

I agree our starting pitching needs to go deeper, but one thing to consider. 50% of our games so far have been against the Sox and Yanks, and though their offenses may not be what they once were, they are VERY patient hitters who take a lot of pitches and are adept at fouling off good pitches and working counts. Its tough for starters to get deep against either of those teams.

This.

The Yanks were in last place to begin June last year. Everyone was throwing the dirt on them. How'd they turn out?

There are some concerning things right now for me, the biggest being Wieters and how to tread water at 2b until BRob returns, but bringing up Reynolds over and over makes no sense. I will bet by year's end, Reimold has had a better season than Reynolds. Not sure how to judge that, but I'm willing to bet Nolan makes us forget about Mark Reynolds...and I'm a Reynolds fan.

As for the Yankees "scrubs." Their scrubs are overproducing right now. Youk and Wells over 1.000 OPS will not continue. We caught them at a hot time. Everything will even back out soon.

And freaking Cervelli! His single on an 0-2 count right after Bosch had singled turned out to be the key to that inning. It was very nearly a ground out and would have led to a goose egg going up instead of 3 spot if it hadn't found a way through.

A bunch of these guys are playing over their heads right now and it's exactly what the Yankees needed to bridge the gap to Jeter and Granderson. The good news is they won't always have rain wash out Hughes and Nova. Also, Cervelli was noted in the Biogenisis ledgers. Maybe a suspension is forthcoming when all of this plays out. :scratchchinhmm: :D

And freaking Cervelli! His single on an 0-2 count right after Bosch had singled turned out to be the key to that inning. It was very nearly a ground out and would have led to a goose egg going up instead of 3 spot if it hadn't found a way through.

A bunch of these guys are playing over their heads right now and it's exactly what the Yankees needed to bridge the gap to Jeter and Granderson. The good news is they won't always have rain wash out Hughes and Nova. Also, Cervelli was noted in the Biogenisis ledgers. Maybe a suspension is forthcoming when all of this plays out. :scratchchinhmm: :D

I swear the Yankees have a horseshoe up their arse. I mean, come on. You know damn well if we had signed Youk and traded for Wells, they'd both be over the hill washed up bums right now. But the Yanks get them and they are rejuvenated? Its crazy. I think ARod may be sharing a little sumsing sumsing with them! ;)

I swear the Yankees have a horseshoe up their arse. I mean, come on. You know damn well if we had signed Youk and traded for Wells, they'd both be over the hill washed up bums right now. But the Yanks get them and they are rejuvenated? Its crazy. I think ARod may be sharing a little sumsing sumsing with them! ;)

PEDs :)

Archived