6-6 at .500-Your Thoughts?

Rene88

It sure looks like this was the test case. Competitive core? Check. Additional revenues from playoffs? Check. Acquisition to put them over the top... not so much.

Not so much? maybe it should look like this:

[ x ] Competitive core

[ x ] Additional revenues from playoffs

[ _ ] Acquisition to put them over the top

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Reynolds was let go because of A) money and B) Betemit

I agree that you don't want to pay Reynolds $8M to be a platoon partner for Betemit.

But that doesn't mean that you have to settle for the likes of Steve Pearce. There were good righty platoon hitters available this offseason that would cost a lot less than Reynolds. Duquette didn't sign one, and now that decision looks even worse because Betemit got hurt.

This one hurt because it was on a national stage. Overall, if we can't beat this team of subs, we are in deep trouble.

However, it is a long season. But you got to win games against the Yankees against their scrubs.

I see the following this far:

We have better options than Pearce.

Jake may never "get it". He gets a few more starts (2-3) and it will be next man up.

Mark Reynolds would really have helped this team.

This Bundy injury is worse than they are letting on. (Just an opinion)

Lew Ford could help this team.

We faced CC and Kuroda - one elite pitcher and one very good one. They did what elite pitchers tend to do - shut us down for the most part.

We beat their mediocre guy, as we should have.

Hate to repeat the obvious, but we're 2 games out of first place... and the season just started.

Not ready to jump to any conclusions yet. I think over the course of this long season, our pitching depth and young talent will ultimately play to our advantage. You don't generally see the advantage of youth and pitching depth in the first two weeks. That's the weird thing about baseball - you're managing to that day's game, but the actual time horizon is so long. It's like an iceberg cutting a valley - you can't see it happening in too-short a timeframe. But you know that it will cut that valley over time. I think that's what DD and Buck's strategy will do, too.

This one hurt because it was on a national stage. Overall, if we can't beat this team of subs, we are in deep trouble.

However, it is a long season. But you got to win games against the Yankees against their scrubs.

I see the following this far:

We have better options than Pearce.

Jake may never "get it". He gets a few more starts (2-3) and it will be next man up.

Mark Reynolds would really have helped this team.

This Bundy injury is worse than they are letting on. (Just an opinion)

Lew Ford could help this team.

It doesnt matter how bad of a lineup you put out there when Kuroda throws the game he threw. You just need one big hit, which essentially is all they got a HR from a guy who hasnt hit a HR off a lefty since 2010, and a sac fly. We will be fine, it is still very early like you said we will get it going have faith!

Without reading any of this thread beforehand...

I'm happy. :noidea: 6-6 and we really haven't played very well in any aspect. CD carried us for a bunch of games.

I'm glad we got 12 games in, out of NY and back home, and .500 . We're better than this, and we played worse than this. Good start. We got this.

Tough game tonight.

At 6-6, and at 5-4 against A.L. East opposition so far, I'm O.K. with it all.

Avoid digging a big a hole for yourself early on (starting out at 2-10 or 3-9, etc.), and you'll have plenty of time to show your stuff over the next 5-plus months of the marathon baseball season.

7-6 overall, and 6-4 against the A.L. East, now.

Good start to the series with the Rays tonight. :cool:

Well said, Moose.

This is meaningless, but:

Historically MLB teams have gone .550 at home and .450 on the road. Therefore, going 6-6 after 9 road games and 3 home games mathematically equates to: ... a shade over 85 wins.

That's some good advanced story problems right there. I don't care what anybody says.

It's way to early to start making decisions about this season. I'd say that maybe about 30-40 games in, the season starts to crystallize. Even then we're ignoring mid-season trades and late season surges. I mean come on, about 2-3 games separates the entire AL East. That can be made up in one head to head series, or at most a week of non head to head play in a pennant race.

Well said, Moose.

This is meaningless, but:

Historically, MLB teams have gone .550 at home and .450 on the road. Therefore, going 6-6 after 9 road games and 3 home games mathematically equates to: ... a shade over 85 wins.

That's some good advanced story problems right there. I don't care what anybody says.

I've got a better one. Our current record (7-6) computes to between 87 and 88 wins by season's end.

Archived