TT: Wieters bat becoming a liability from left side

Tony-OH

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too. He was looking offspeed and didn't miss it. Let's hope this sparks Matt a bit. He's looking better from the left side the last few games no doubt.

Oh, I know you love it. It looked like we were going to blow it and next thing you know....the magic is back. Moreover, from a bat we Really need to be big for us if we're going to take the next step as a lineup. That certainly can't hurt a guys confidence.

One meatball pitch hit for a dramatic walk off grand slam doesn't change the fact that he's been hitting poorly left-handed.

Not his first left handed HR this week. The pitcher made a mistake, Wieters didnt foul it off, he didn't hit a blooper, he hit a grand slam. No matter how you feel about his hitting from this side of the plate, a liability he has not been this week.

2013 splits (coming into tonight)

vs RHP as LHB 39PA .152/.263/.242

vs LHP as RHB 15PA .385/.467/.692

And for his career, he's just much better against lefties as a righty, .826 OPS to .717 OPS.

Two home runs from the left side in the past week doesn't just absolve him of his poor left-handed splits.

And for his career, he's just much better against lefties as a righty, .826 OPS to .717 OPS.

Two home runs from the left side in the past week doesn't just absolve him of his poor left-handed splits.

Who suggested that it does? No one? Arguing just to argue, I like that. Thread reads: "Wieters bat becoming a liability from the left side". Becoming suggests that we are just at the beginning of our woes. Since the thread, Wieters has hit 2 home runs from the left side, each in Oriole wins, one a walk off, both against division rivals.

Switch hitters tend to take longer to develop. Take Brian Roberts splits and break them down all you like. He developed. People called him a liability and wanted him to give up switch hitting. Im glad that he did not.

Matts best ABs area ahead of him and tonight he couldnt erase the past, but he hit a walk off grand slam, something that you are minimizing for no reason, and maybe its the start of a little hot streak? Maybe not. You dont know. I dont know. We'll find out, but there is certain reason to be optimistic, no matter what your little stats tell you.

Argue on, enjoy it, I will celebrate the win and the great AB from Matt.

Who suggested that it does? No one? Arguing just to argue, I like that. Thread reads: "Wieters bat becoming a liability from the left side". Becoming suggests that we are just at the beginning of our woes. Since the thread, Wieters has hit 2 home runs from the left side, each in Oriole wins, one a walk off, both against division rivals.

Switch hitters tend to take longer to develop. Take Brian Roberts splits and break them down all you like. He developed. People called him a liability and wanted him to give up switch hitting. Im glad that he did not.

Matts best ABs area ahead of him and tonight he couldnt erase the past, but he hit a walk off grand slam, something that you are minimizing for no reason, and maybe its the start of a little hot streak? Maybe not. You dont know. I dont know. We'll find out, but there is certain reason to be optimistic, no matter what your little stats tell you.

Argue on, enjoy it, I will celebrate the win and the great AB from Matt.

He is a catcher who had over 3.0 offensive War each of the past two seasons. He gets most of his at bats from the right to suggest he was a liability is silly to say the least. You could say maybe he needs to hit lower in the line-up against righties but he is amazing behind the plate and no way shape or form a liability.

Matt made an adjustment. He was taking his left hand off the bat almost hitting with one hand. It was awkward looking and isn't how he looks when he is doing well from the left side. On this swing at least he kept his hand on the bat longer after contact.

Tried to find video to support but couldn't find anything from when he was going bad.

Wieters can run hot and cold...but as a fan, he's by far my favorite player on the team. Matt sees a bit of disrespect here (and by that I'm not suggesting this thread is disrespectful) especially when he's struggling at the plate. I think people just get too hung up on what their expectations were. He's never going to be Buster Posey, but I'm totally fine with him being Matt Wieters. Huge walk-off win.

Try to enjoy the win. :)

Try to enjoy the win. :)

Really. It's pretty clear this thread was bumped in fun. We all know Wieters hasn't been very good left-handed the last 2+ years, and has really struggled this season. And, that was a cripple pitch, no doubt about it. But it's always fun to gloat after a walk-off win.

Archived