Baseball America's Top 10 for O's

kmayle

I think the fact that he is our #3 prospect right now should change the way we view the trade.

Do you really think he is our 3rd best prospect though? I'd put Rowell ahead of him based on upside. Patton is a #3 SP at best IMO.

Basically Rowell is not a top 100 prospect in BA's eyes

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting to see that Patton was left off that list considering they have him listed as our #3 prospect...

Does this change the way anyone looks at the Tejada trade?

BA likes Albers more than Patton. Albers was rated higher than Patton on the Houston list last year and I recently copied in a snippet from a BA chat on the Houston system where they still believe Albers is better than Patton. It was posted at the time of the Tejada trade that last year Albers and Patton were 2 and 3 on the Houston list last year and both were in the BA Top 100.

Regarding Liz, BA has been very high on Liz for the past two years. The OH has previously been a bit more optimistic on Olson - I assume based on feedback from Os officials, but that may be starting to change - especially as Liz is showing the stamina which will keep him in the rotation.

Like I said in the other thread, BA is not that favorable on Rowell as we all are. I wonder why?

Rowell regressed big time in 2007. He had the oblique injury but he was horrible against LHP. He's going to have to step it up to rank up there again in 2008. I agree with their assesment.

BA likes Albers more than Patton. Albers was rated higher than Patton on the Houston list last year and I recently copied in a snippet from a BA chat on the Houston system where they still believe Albers is better than Patton.

Regarding Liz, BA has been very high on Liz for the past two years. The OH has previously been a bit more optimistic on Olson - I assume based on feedback from Os officials, but that may be starting to change - especially as Liz is showing the stamina which will keep him in the rotation.

Given that, one would assume Albers would be ranked above Patton on our list though, right?

Rowell regressed big time in 2007. He had the oblique injury but he was horrible against LHP. He's going to have to step it up to rank up there again in 2008. I agree with their assesment.

So...he still has plenty of potential and was one of the youngest players in the Delmarva league

We've debated this a few times. While I agree his numbers vs. LHP were a concern, I just can't get behind the idea that Rowell "regressed big time." He was an 18-year old playing in the Sally League and he put up an OPS about 20 points above the league average, despite starting the season late due to his oblique injury. I'm not thrilled to death with his 2007 season, but I don't see it as a "big time" regression.

That is against the board rules. BA has every right to protect their content.

For the benfit of any BA members who would like to give us a feel of what they are saying, here is the pertinent board rule:

11. Do not post copyrighted material in it’s entirety. You may cut and paste portions to discuss but please provide a link to the source site.

Who is he? :confused:

Calvin Lester is our 36th round pick from last years draft. He played at Prairie View A&M University. He is a switch hitting outfielder, and stands 6' 1 180. He just turned 24 this past December.

A clip from PV A&M University news after Lester was selected:

"Lester, a six-foot-one senior from Miami, Fla. was named most outstanding player at the 2007 SWAC Baseball Championship. He batted .462 (six-for-14) for the tournament, had four stolen bases, four runs and three RBIs. In triples, Lester ranked 12th in the conference with three. He was first on the team in sacrifice bunts with nine and fourth in stolen bases with 21. Last year Lester was named first team all-SWAC and to the SWAC Western Division team. In 2006, he led the nation with 56 stolen bases per game."

EDIT: Just noticed how that last sentence ended... it is as quoted, but funny that no one spotted it. =)

Do you really think he is our 3rd best prospect though? I'd put Rowell ahead of him based on upside. Patton is a #3 SP at best IMO.

Basically Rowell is not a top 100 prospect in BA's eyes

Who knows. BA does evaluations of all teams, we only really focus on the Orioles. I trust them a little bit more for this reason.

Archived