Dr. James Andrews today. Andrews recommended and administered a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection

BaltimoreO's

Thank you, Doctor Atomic, for pointing out that Dr. James Andrews is some quack.

Meanwhile, here's an article indicating that PRP treatment has been effective for tennis elbow. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130321081459.htm

I think it is fair to say that PRP isn't fully proven, but "no scientific evidence" isn't really correct, either. So long as it won't hurt, why not try it?

Ok this is a newer study. All the other studies did not use scientific methods at all.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, this seems like the direction we are headed....scary. This organization is so snake bitten in terms of pitching prospects. Grow the arms??? I think it is time to abandon that philosphy.

Grow the bats, buy the arms. :)

It's two different pitchers, and Venters' pain was localized in his elbow, while Bundy's, as far as I've read, is localized in his forearm. Just because they've received the same treatment does not mean they have the same injury, nor that the treatment will be unsuccessful for both.

Thank you.

This is a conclusion from the British Journal of Sports Medicine

CONCLUSION:

Biologic therapies such as AB and PRP injection were moderately effective for treatment of recalcitrant tendinopathy, and PRP appears to be more effective than AB. Further studies comparing these treatments to each other, to other treatment options, and to placebo should be undertaken to better define their clinical utility and indications in the treatment of chronic tendinopathy.

(AB is when you inject your own blood into the site of injury to speed up the healing process)

There are other similar studies that point to success in the PRP injections, but they dont specify the right flexor such as the case for bundy

Not to get greedy or anything, but where are we at with Bundy's rehab?

I was looking this morning for more information and there really isnt any thing new out there. As far as I can tell if there is no pain, he will start throwing on a flat ground around mid June. It could take as long as the end of July before he is pitching in any games. If everything goes well, he could be coming up in September when they expand the rosters.

I was looking this morning for more information and there really isnt any thing new out there. As far as I can tell if there is no pain, he will start throwing on a flat ground around mid June. It could take as long as the end of July before he is pitching in any games. If everything goes well, he could be coming up in September when they expand the rosters.

Yeah maybe 3 more weeks by my count. Lets keep our fingers crossed there is no pain.

I think at this point, we shouldn't bother bringing him up to the majors at any point, even in September. At the most, let him pitch in some AA-AAA games and then let him rest in September and the offseason so he is 100% by next season.

There's no pain because he's not doing anything.

I'm still pessimistic that this is ending in TJ surgery.

Why would you think that? Tommy John surgery is for torn ligaments,l I believe. He doesn't have anything torn.

He's had two different MRI's weeks apart. Doubtful they missed anything that would require TJ surgery.

Did Dr Andrews give him a MRI or did he review the MRI that was already taken? I think it was the latter. Even if he did have two, there is still a chance damage was missed.

He's had two different MRI's weeks apart. Doubtful they missed anything that would require TJ surgery.

MRIs are not as perfect as people think, especially for such a tiny ligament. MRI only picks up between 60-80% of UCL injuries, according to a paper written by Andrews himself (granted, MRI technology has improved since '94, but the point is still valid):

Timmerman LA, Schwartz ML, Andrews JR. Preoperative evaluation of the ulnar collateral ligament by magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography arthrography. Evaluation in 25 baseball players with surgical confirmation. Am J Sports Med. Jan-Feb 1994;22(1):26-31

Some good news

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Good news on <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Orioles">#Orioles</a> top pitching prospect Dylan Bundy, who tested full range of motion without pain today after PRP injection on April 29.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">May 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived