Why can't we trade for Chris Sale?

bt12483

I agree with you about decimating the farm. It's one thing to have quality prospects, but they are prospects. An ace is somebody who dominates at the MLB level and that's rare. Nobody cares about AAA.

I tend to agree with MurphDogg (on a lot of things incidentally) and basically the counterpoint is that an organization like the Orioles is the type that needs to have a constant pipeline of prospects coming up through the system. I referenced them earlier, but the model I think Duquette is after is that of the Cardinals. The Cardinals are where we want to be. They were unable to keep Albert but they had Craig to step in, they've lost an outstanding rotation to injury this season and have been successful in replacing them. At the same time they are now in a position to augment their pipeline of talent with very sensible FA acquisitions that make the team better.

As great as it would be to have Sale in our rotation, for me personally, it's not worth diverging from the long range plans.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which is why we have to focus on continuing to build the depth and quality of our system. Rays and Red Sox systems are significantly ahead of ours and we need to not shoot the moon and break the bank just for the possibility of a single season victory.

What? Do you realize how dominant of a pitcher Sale is? We could win the World Series if this guy joins the team. Without him??? We can't matchup at all in the postseason.

What? Do you realize how dominant of a pitcher Sale is? We could win the World Series if this guy joins the team. Without him??? We can't matchup at all in the postseason.

We could win the WS with him, we could win the WS without him. If we trade for him and don't win the WS then we have set the development of the franchise back, longer term, a good bit for no gain.

What if, and this is very likely, our top 3-4 prospects fail to even produce 10+ WAR combined? It's possible. Chris Sale in all likelihood covers the value of our top prospects in 2 years. Most pitchers fail, that's been my experience with the O's.
A very modest estimate would have Bundy, Gausman, and Urrutia combining for 12 WAR in the next two years. 2 6 WAR years from Sale is very unlikely. But it's a moot point, what evidence is there that CHI is trading Sale?

I would give up both Gausman and Bundy + Schoop for Sale. Youd have to be Insane not to. 3 prospects for a bonafide cy young contender for the next 7+ years.

If Sale keeps this up for 7+ years I'll give you a cookie.

I think he'll pitch at this level for another 2 years and then fall off a cliff.

All I know is that if one of our direct competitors for a playoff spot gets Sale I will be quite disappointed, because it seems like we are never in the running to make moves like this.

We are never a frontrunner for things like this.

Maybe the Rangers or another team has a deeper farm system than the O's do.

For the O's to trade their two top pitching prospects who could become top

pitchers for the O's plus a player from the major league club would be the wrong

way for them to go.

Sale could injure his arm. O's farm system needs to be built up. Taking two of the

top prospects

If Sale keeps this up for 7+ years I'll give you a cookie.

I think he'll pitch at this level for another 2 years and then fall off a cliff.

And what makes you think that? Randy Johnson (who sale is a clone of) pitched at that level for a decade

A smart man would take the bet that in 4.5 seasons Chris Sale gives us more value and production than our top 3-4 prospects would in 7 or 8 or whenever they are eligible for free agency combined.

Smart men don't gamble like that. IMO that is what DD is. A smart man.

I agree with you about decimating the farm. It's one thing to have quality prospects, but they are prospects. An ace is somebody who dominates at the MLB level and that's rare. Nobody cares about AAA.

Are you saying Gausman or Bundy couldn't become an Ace?

Archived