David Ortiz-I hate you

Flacco Machado

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I strongly disagree. Adults behaving like babies in public is always embarrassing.

I don't disagree with this statement. It's just that I don't expect rationale behavior from professional athletes all the time and don't think it really means anything when they do embarrass themselves. These guys suffer from testosterone poisoning, are coddled, etc. Some of them are going to act like idiots every know and then. They should be embarrassed. Their teams should be embarrassed. But in the big scheme of things it's nothing.

To the best of my recollection, Earl's histrionics were A) mostly in defense of his players/the team and not the result of such an incredibly massive ego that he SHANT NOT BE DISRESPECTED THIS WAY (It already seemed that way, but those post game remarks really nailed it down) and B) never actively endangered everyone in his general area. How often did Earl get held back by his coaches?

I don't like comparing the usual manager to ump histrionics that make you think of guys like Weaver to that absolute embarrassment of behavior Ortiz displayed last night. Find me video of Weaver advancing on an ump with physical malice like Ortiz did, or going completely ape-crap on dugout equipment with a bat, and I'll discuss the parallels.

Arguing calls is one thing. What Ortiz did was beyond the pale. The closest thing I can think of at present is George Brett's iconic incensed sprint to the ump in the Pine Tar Game. Up until he stopped and just started yelling like crazy, he could very well have been charging that ump with the intent to hurt.

Earl was an ass. A beloved ass. A highly successful ass. But an ass. Not sure there's a big difference in screaming obscenities and insults six inches from someone's face and smashing a telephone in the dugout. I'n not trying to defend Ortiz's behavior. I don't like the guy. At all. But I just don't think it's much worse than the way Earl and many others have behaved. It's definitely not a national tragedy or scandal. Ortiz is going to get a suspension and a fine. I'm happy the Sox will be without him for at least a few games. I hope the media hype rattles them a bit, but there's a 99.9% probability that it won't. But I still think it's not a big deal. Just my opinion.

Something else to consider: this is what he was capable of doing in full view of the world. In a sports park with fans present and cameras running, and fully aware of that.

Imagine what he's capable of in private?

Yeah. He probably pulls wings off flies, pushes old ladies in wheelchairs down flights of stair eats babies.

He blew up. It happens. He'll probably get a time out from Bud. He embarrassed himself and, to a degree, his team. He did not embarrass the Orioles or their fans. It was a mildly entertaining implosion.

Earl was an ass. A beloved ass. A highly successful ass. But an ass. Not sure there's a big difference in screaming obscenities and insults six inches from someone's face and smashing a telephone in the dugout. I'n not trying to defend Ortiz's behavior. I don't like the guy. At all. But I just don't think it's much worse than the way Earl and many others have behaved. It's definitely not a national tragedy or scandal. Ortiz is going to get a suspension and a fine. I'm happy the Sox will be without him for at least a few games. I hope the media hype rattles them a bit, but there's a 99.9% probability that it won't. But I still think it's not a big deal. Just my opinion.

p.s. hope this doesn't sound overly critical of Earl. I am a big fan, as are all of you. Being an incredibly difficult person, especially to umpires, was part of his personality but also part of Earl's "game". Unfortunately being a jerk is also part of some player's game and Ortiz is an example.

Earl was definitely not an ass. He was a smart baseball guy who used his "antics" to protect his players and intimidate umpires. And it worked. Umpires hated to see him come out of the dugout because they knew no matter how much he played the ass they would end up looking the fool.

I don't think Earl ever caused his team captain to cover his head in fear of getting injured by one of his tantrums. Most players and umps probably weren't terrified of getting dirt kicked on the lower half of their pants.

Earl was definitely not an ass. He was a smart baseball guy who used his "antics" to protect his players and intimidate umpires. And it worked. Umpires hated to see him come out of the dugout because they knew no matter how much he played the ass they would end up looking the fool.

Poor wording. Ass = a jerk. There's a lot of evidence that Earl was not the nicest guy in the world when he was at work.

I don't think Earl ever caused his team captain to cover his head in fear of getting injured by one of his tantrums. Most players and umps probably weren't terrified of getting dirt kicked on the lower half of their pants.

True. Very true.

He sure has recovered from all those injuries at 37 real nice, hasn't he? Jerk!

Would you be this pissed off if the O's had won? I think not. Ortiz acted jerky

last night but how many

times have we seen players take a bat to the wAter

cooler? Players and managers act like babies at times. The Sox may have to pay

for the phone. He may be fined. I don't think it is a big deal. He acted like a baby

last night. IMO

Would you be this pissed off if the O's had won? I think not. Ortiz acted jerky

last night but how many

times have we seen players take a bat to the wAter

cooler? Players and managers act like babies at times. The Sox may have to pay

for the phone. He may be fined. I don't think it is a big deal. He acted like a baby

last night. IMO

I can confidently say yes on this. It's not the phone or yelling at the umpire -- that's happens (albeit usually not to a phone). It's the habitual, career-long showing up of opposing pitchers, a la stepping out DURING the 3-0 windup and always posing after home runs. That, I think, combined with the fact that the nat'l media constantly paints him a favorable light (he's on practically every commercial on MLB Network), is the source of most people's dislike.

Archived