David Ortiz-I hate you

Flacco Machado

Oh yes, let's make sure above all else that we protect our children from foul language. People's priorities can be so strange to me sometimes.

I don't think that anyone is saying that their children should be protected from foul language above everything else. I do think what Ortiz said during the ceremony was inappropriate. I'll acknowledge that the guy is an excellent professional hitter. However, I've seen him show up pitchers enough over the years to believe that this guy is a self absorbed hot dog. He's done nothing recently to change my mind.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone see Ortiz mocking the situation after his homerun? He approached the new phone with his bat, and pretended like he was going to smash it again. He is laughing at all of us. Honestly, we shouldn't even talk about it. Just mentioning his name enshrines him in immortality.

Did anyone see Ortiz mocking the situation after his homerun? He approached the new phone with his bat, and pretended like he was going to smash it again. He is laughing at all of us. Honestly, we shouldn't even talk about it. Just mentioning his name enshrines him in immortality.

I did see that. All of his class and dignity was on display once again.:rolleyes: I think that it's fine to mention his name in this context. He's being "immortalized" as the pompous jerk that he is.

I did see that. All of his class and dignity was on display once again.:rolleyes: I think that it's fine to mention his name in this context. He's being "immortalized" as the pompous jerk that he is.

I think Hammel was afraid of him. Why else would he miss outside with 2 pitches and then throw a meatball slider for a homerun? The man was pitching scared. Can't say I blame him after witnessing the psychotic break with the phone.

All in all, it was strange behavior for an older player in that game situation. A player that has surely seen calls go both ways over his career. His post game remarks were of the level of a first year little league player. I was also amazed at his manager's appearance during the rage. At the very least his rage should be examined closely by MLB and the Sox.

Oh, you think so? If this lunatic goes into a violent rage like this with a baseball bat over some lousy umpiring, what would he do on the street if someone really pissed him off? This guy needs some help. Earl Weaver never did anything violent on the baseball field. And besides, who would be afraid of little old man anyway? Ortiz is frigggin' scary. Can't you see that?

Overreact much?

Lunatic? frigging scary? Nah, I cant really see it.

Oh my God this is a joke. I remember going to Wrigley Field in the early 1990s when Andre Dawson threw all his bats and a water cooler onto the field. I thought it was great. How many dugout phones and water coolers have been trashed over the years by angry players? I don't think it has anything at all to do with how a player conducts himself off the field.

Prob a lot more accurate viewpoint rather than being scared of the guy walking down the street.

This is like the perfect Overreatcion Hangout thread. Is Ortiz a horse's ass? Yea. Its not like he needs to serve time for bashing a phone tho or be put in a straight jacket. Is he self absorbed and somewhat immature? Sure, like a lot of athletes. Roid rage? Most likely a factor. Is he the only major horse's ass we've seen in sports? Nope. I dont care for the guy and am certain he's juiced to rebound like he did and am sick of him and the Sux, but the majority of posts in this thread go far beyond reason. He threw a tantrum Its adds something to the game just like Weaver or Billy Martin did. Maybe Weaver and Billy didnt "endanger" the masses of players and fans at the stadium but the same basic stuff. But to say this guy is one tick away from exploding on some little old lady who takes his parking space at the mall is un warranted. He overreacted (like many here do on a regular basis) and threw a tantrum. Sports are emotional.

Lets hope MLB overreacts and gives him some time off.

I thought it funny when Davis and Papi were joking at first base yesterday. CD had done some damage of his own recently - perhaps some out of view of the camera. Anger happens and players erupt. Thankfully, he did not injure Pedey - oh wait......:scratchchinhmm: :slytf:

Why is that? Because my values are different than yours? I don't want my kids exposed to certain things. Not a difficult concept, you're one of the few here that seems to condone Otiz and his behavior or lack thereof. We can all appreciate good ballplayers but the behavior is not something to be condoned. I guarantee that crap wouldn't get very far with Buck.
Unless the stadium has a family section where alcohol is not allowed (I don't know if they do or not), your kids are probably going to pick up worse things in the crowd than Ortiz said. Just saying.

Unless the stadium has a family section where alcohol is not allowed (I don't know if they do or not), your kids are probably going to pick up worse things in the crowd than Ortiz said. Just saying.

When you have DC United season tickets and kids, as several of my friends and I do, an early lesson is that there are RFK words that people only use at RFK. It's not really a bad word if it's sung in the direction of the opposing team or ref, is it?

Why is that? Because my values are different than yours? I don't want my kids exposed to certain things. Not a difficult concept, you're one of the few here that seems to condone Otiz and his behavior or lack thereof. We can all appreciate good ballplayers but the behavior is not something to be condoned. I guarantee that crap wouldn't get very far with Buck.

Oh yeah I'm sure Buck would hate to have David Ortiz in his lineup every day.

I have two kids also and the values I try to teach them are a shade more important than watching your language.

Yes, David Ortiz is laughing at US. That makes perfect sense. He wakes up in the morning and dreams up ways to stick it to fans of the Baltimore Orioles.

Saturday night's incident had nothing to do with the Orioles, their team, their players, their fans, or anything else. It had to do with a bad call by an umpire. I think Ortiz was more upset by the principle of the thing. He's there to do his job, the umpire is there to do his. He expects the same high level of performance out of the umpire that he demands of himself. If he doesn't see that same high level of performance, he gets offended and gets angry. I don't blame him one bit or think anything less of him for it.

I don't think that anyone is saying that their children should be protected from foul language above everything else. I do think what Ortiz said during the ceremony was inappropriate. I'll acknowledge that the guy is an excellent professional hitter. However, I've seen him show up pitchers enough over the years to believe that this guy is a self absorbed hot dog. He's done nothing recently to change my mind.

"Self absorbed hot dog" is meaningless to me in the context of professional athletes. I think Ortiz loves and respects the game and is overall a fine human being and a great baseball player. I don't see why anyone should care if he bashes in a phone or yells at an umpire. If this was an Orioles player doing this, we would be talking about the umpire's terrible performance, not about the player. And if we talked about the player, we'd be praising him for his passion and commitment to his craft.

"Self absorbed hot dog" is meaningless to me in the context of professional athletes. I think Ortiz loves and respects the game and is overall a fine human being and a great baseball player. I don't see why anyone should care if he bashes in a phone or yells at an umpire. If this was an Orioles player doing this, we would be talking about the umpire's terrible performance, not about the player. And if we talked about the player, we'd be praising him for his passion and commitment to his craft.

The ball sat right on top of the upper edge of the strike zone according to the Red Sox pitch tracker. When you try to show up the P or the game, you're not going to get any borderline call. So, the umpiring was anything but terrible.

Archived