David Ortiz-I hate you

Flacco Machado

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I've been an advocate that the AL should do away with the DH for years. In my opinion a team that carries a player like Ortiz should have to deal with terrible defense also. I guarantee you his bat wouldn't be in their line-up all the time like it is now.

I'm an O's fan living in the Boston area. Ortiz picked up this city after the Marathon bombings, and for that he earns a pass for almost anything in my book, including last night's Earl Weaver impression.

Stannis Baratheon says the good deed doesn't wipe out the bad.

Stannis Baratheon says the good deed doesn't wipe out the bad.
Plus, I actually agree with Ommaculate. He got taken off track talking about that Giuliani stuff, but the point is what on earth did Ortiz do after the bombing that should give him a pass to behave like an ass now? He said " **** you bomber, this is our town" or something? That's cool I guess but so what? That doesn't make him a hero.

What are they going to do, cut him?

I always find it amusing when Orioles fans go off on the childish and irresponsible behavior of opposing players and managers, then warmly reminisce about Earl Weaver. The O's organization has contributed their fair share of tantrums to baseball, probably more than their fair share.

It means nothing. A guy who is about 95% gonad lost his cool. It means nothing. I don't get all the self righteous indignation. All of us enjoy the youtube videos of Earl going nuts. It happens and in the end it is totally meaningless.

Best post so far in this thread.

Best post so far in this thread.

Oh, you think so? If this lunatic goes into a violent rage like this with a baseball bat over some lousy umpiring, what would he do on the street if someone really pissed him off? This guy needs some help. Earl Weaver never did anything violent on the baseball field. And besides, who would be afraid of little old man anyway? Ortiz is frigggin' scary. Can't you see that?

Plus, I actually agree with Ommaculate. He got taken off track talking about that Giuliani stuff, but the point is what on earth did Ortiz do after the bombing that should give him a pass to behave like an ass now? He said " **** you bomber, this is our town" or something? That's cool I guess but so what? That doesn't make him a hero.

Why is it cool that he said f-you to the bombers? Ortiz never misses an opportunity to go in front of a microphone or camera to make himself look good, but trying to show support for the city you represent by making an ill advised speech punctuated by obscenities in front of a stadium full of people is boorish to say the least. If I had been in the audience that day with my two young daughters I would have been very upset at how he chose to express himself about the matter.

You know I've been an advocate that the AL should do away with the DH for years. In my opinion a team that carries a player like Ortiz should have to deal with terrible defense also. I guarantee you his bat wouldn't be in their line-up all the time like it is now.

I think the only reason to keep his bat out of the lineup would be to give him rest, to prevent him from injury.

I don't get why people are down on Ortiz. Because he fought with Kevin Gregg, the worst closer we've had in the last decade? Because he shredded a phone with his bat after an umpire made a bad call in a game that wasn't very close?

Ortiz is about the only Red Sox player I enjoy watching. I love watching him hit and think he's a HOFer. (I know that PED suspicions will keep him out, but then these days the HOF is pretty much irrelevant.]

Oh, you think so? If this lunatic goes into a violent rage like this with a baseball bat over some lousy umpiring, what would he do on the street if someone really pissed him off? This guy needs some help. Earl Weaver never did anything violent on the baseball field. And besides, who would be afraid of little old man anyway? Ortiz is frigggin' scary. Can't you see that?

Oh my God this is a joke. I remember going to Wrigley Field in the early 1990s when Andre Dawson threw all his bats and a water cooler onto the field. I thought it was great. How many dugout phones and water coolers have been trashed over the years by angry players? I don't think it has anything at all to do with how a player conducts himself off the field.

Why is it cool that he said f-you to the bombers? Ortiz never misses an opportunity to go in front of a microphone or camera to make himself look good, but trying to show support for the city you represent by making an ill advised speech punctuated by obscenities in front of a stadium full of people is boorish to say the least. If I had been in the audience that day with my two young daughters I would have been very upset at how he chose to express himself about the matter.

Oh yes, let's make sure above all else that we protect our children from foul language. People's priorities can be so strange to me sometimes.

Oh yes, let's make sure above all else that we protect our children from foul language. People's priorities can be so strange to me sometimes.

Why is that? Because my values are different than yours? I don't want my kids exposed to certain things. Not a difficult concept, you're one of the few here that seems to condone Otiz and his behavior or lack thereof. We can all appreciate good ballplayers but the behavior is not something to be condoned. I guarantee that crap wouldn't get very far with Buck.

Archived