JJ Hardy is ridiculously underpaid - And a Silver Slugger- And third in the Platinum glove voting.

Frobby

JJ Hardy is the gift that keeps on giving. Per fangraphs, in 2011 he was worth about $19.4 mm, and we paid him $5.5 mm. Plus, that July he signed a 3 year, $22.5 mm deal. Again per fangraphs, he's already been worth $26.2 mm in 2012-13, with the rest of this year and all of 2014 left to be played.

I don't want to get into the long-term issues in this thread. I just want to say that I really appreciate everything Hardy brings to the table, and the value we've gotten from him for the money is unbelievable.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JJ Hardy is the gift that keeps on giving. Per fangraphs, in 2011 he was worth about $19.4 mm, and we paid him $5.5 mm. Plus, that July he signed a 3 year, $22.5 mm deal. Again per fangraphs, he's already been worth $26.2 mm in 2012-13, with the rest of this year and all of 2014 left to be played.

I don't want to get into the long-term issues in this thread. I just want to say that I really appreciate everything Hardy brings to the table, and the value we've gotten from him for the money is unbelievable.

Holy cow, I knew he was underpaid, but that really is unbelievable.

J.J. Hardy is a very solid player. A very solid fielder and a dangerous, but not great hitter. I guess FanGraphs knows what they are talking about, but would any ML team pay Hardy more than 10M a year on the open market?

I imagine he would get 10+ on the open market. Boston is paying Stephen Drew $9.5 million this season, and he has been worth 2 wins according to Baseball Reference. JJ has been worth 3.2 wins.

J.J. Hardy is a very solid player. A very solid fielder and a dangerous, but not great hitter. I guess FanGraphs knows what they are talking about, but would any ML team pay Hardy more than 10M a year on the open market?

Probably not quite $10M, but one team might... GG 30-HR slugger.

If Hardy had gone ahead and filed for free agency after the 2011 season, I think he might have gotten $10 mm+, though I'm not sure. In any event, he was comfortable in Baltimore and signed for a reasonable price. The one knock on Hardy then was that he was injury prone, but he's missed only a handful of games since then. It's too soon to say whether he could earn $10 mm+ the next time around, but if he stays as healthy as this year and has a similar season in 2014, I think he will.

Given his age and the fact he has some injury history and the risk to his offense from having a terrible OBP... they probably wouldn't pay him like they expect 3+ win seasons for 3-4 years. But if he continues at pace and puts up a 4 win season this year. That means he's been worth about 10 wins in the last three years. So they might pay him for about 3.5, 3, 2.5, and 2 wins over four years, which is a total of 11 wins, which makes for a 4/50 type deal.

So I guess I'm saying, yea, someone might pay him a bit more than $10M a year. Luckily he's locked up for another year here, and with age his asking price will probably be lower for 2015.

The RedSox,Yankees,Dodgers,Angels, or Rangers come to mind the teams I think would give a SS the caliber of JJ over 10 mil a year if they were looking for a SS. As Maybenxtyr stated if Stephen Drew can get 9.5 mil I can't see why JJ couldn't get 11 or 12 mil. I would even think when we resigned him he could have got maybe a 4 year 50 million dollar contract. On another note I sure wish Buck would have him in front of Nick in the line-up all the time before or after Matt.

Archived