Michael Morse "almost certain" to join the Orioles (Update: Acquired for Avery))

Greg

If he gets a game-winning pinch-hit or even saves Valencia or Pierce for a game-winning pinch-hit, it might make the difference between making the playoffs and not making them. Making the playoffs is why we play 162 regular season games. We're talking about a million dollars here... in baseball dollars. Perspective.

Would you really rather your team sit on their hands and do nothing to help their chances - even if it's a small chance?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DD on XM now says Morse in RF is a definite possibility. LF/RF/DH v LHP. Says he has more power than current LF and RF.

Its one thing to say that its possible that Morse could play in the O's outfield. Its entirely a different matter for Buck to be able to stomach watching Morse play out there in place of Markakis, McLouth or even Pearce. It might last one game. But then again it might not last the whole game.

Remember Betemit at third?

Its one thing to say that its possible that Morse could play in the O's outfield. Its entirely a different matter for Buck to be able to stomach watching Morse play out there in place of Markakis, McLouth or even Pearce. It might last one game. But then again it might not last the whole game.

I am a reasonably intelligent person who can listen to someone's comment in a radio interview and get the gist of what they are saying. In the context of the question he made it quite clear, IMO, that LF and RF were not producing enough power, particularly against LHP, and he felt Morse gave them an option to improve that situation.

I do. He stuck there as long as he did because he was actually better than the guy he replaced.

Nick has a .589 OPS against LHP this year. This Morse deal is all about taking some risk and gambling on some short term upside. We could play it safe with Pearce/Nick or roll the dice with Morse. I think we have to roll the dice a little more at this point.

I am a reasonably intelligent person who can listen to someone's comment in a radio interview and get the gist of what they are saying. In the context of the question he made it quite clear, IMO, that LF and RF were not producing enough power, particularly against LHP, and he felt Morse gave them an option to improve that situation.

I am not disagreeing with a word that you are saying. My question is can Buck stomach watching Morse in the OF? He is Betemit-like. Takes the wrong routes. Mis-judges balls. Its a adventure when balls are hit his way. Doesn't sound like Buck baseball. It will add to the excitement of the final month of the regular season. Stay tuned.

Love this deal! I think getting out of Safeco and coming to a contender will do wonders for the guy. I'll even go out on a limb and predict a monstrous tear shortly after he arrives, like Reynolds last August.

And not to get too cocky or anything, but my past predictions include the Rays making the playoffs in 2008(though I had them as the WC), the Nats winning the division last year, Davis hitting 40+ HRs this year, and the Sox contending for the AL East crown this year.

And also that the Os would break the losing streak in pretty every one of the last 6 or 7 years except for last year lol.

back_pat.jpg

I do. He stuck there as long as he did because he was actually better than the guy he replaced.

Nick has a .589 OPS against LHP this year. This Morse deal is all about taking some risk and gambling on some short term upside. We could play it safe with Pearce/Nick or roll the dice with Morse. I think we have to roll the dice a little more at this point.

There is a huge difference. When Betemit was playing third the O's had no one that could play the position better. Reynolds? With Morse in right or left - Markakis, McLouth and Pearce are sitting beside Buck on the bench. How long can Buck stand it?

If you were Sano, would you have signed with the Orioles at that time? I probably would not have if I were him-even if the Orioles offered more money.

Clearly he would have. This was an area of weakness for Macphail. He was philosophically opposed to what he believed to be too risky investments. He had strengths in some GM functions but not in this area. We will rue the day that we didn't sign him.

I love how everybody whines when the team acts cheap and doesn't spend money; then they 'waste' a million on a possible upgrade to an offense that has struggled from time to time, especially lately, and people are upset about that too.

Some people just can't be happy I suppose.

As for me, who cares about the million? It's clearly within this year's budget, or they don't do it. It should not affect any type of budget for 2014 and beyond, so really, who cares? This team is NOT out of the playoff chase, despite the many 'we're done' posts to the contrary. And this move only helps our chances, even if it winds up being just a little bit.

If we had heard that the only reason they didn't take on Morse was because they didn't want to spend the money, then this place really would blow up.

Geesh.

With 9000+ registered, "Everybody" on the Hangout has a a tendency of being different folks with different shticks.

Love this deal! I think getting out of Safeco and coming to a contender will do wonders for the guy. I'll even go out on a limb and predict a monstrous tear shortly after he arrives, like Reynolds last August.

And not to get too cocky or anything, but my past predictions include the Rays making the playoffs in 2008(though I had them as the WC), the Nats winning the division last year, Davis hitting 40+ HRs this year, and the Sox contending for the AL East crown this year.

And also that the Os would break the losing streak in pretty every one of the last 6 or 7 years except for last year lol.

You are not Incarcerated Bob are you?

There is a huge difference. When Betemit was playing third the O's had no one that could play the position better. Reynolds? With Morse in right or left - Markakis, McLouth and Pearce are sitting beside Buck on the bench. How long can Buck stand it?

I don't know. Betemit at third base and against LHP was pretty freakin brutal last year. Buck trotted him out there for quite awhile. Not to mention Buck's management of JJ etc. I think Buck has a pretty high threshold for pain if he believes something is good for the team. I guess some would call it stubbornness though.

How can say that Nick in RF against LHP is clearly better then Morse ... "right now"?

I understand where you're going here. Morse is a horrible defender. I get it. Over the course of a season I'd go with Pearce. But we're down to one month and looking for something exceptional. Morse has the capability to provide that, potentially beyond the scope of the LHP corner OF role. Pearce doesn't.

You know, I can understand the points of view from the people that just don't like Morse the player and don't think he can help out, after all, he's having a poor year and we are hoping a change in scenery and ballpark will bring him back to the guy from year's past. But how in the world anyone can be upset about losing Avery for him goes beyond comprehension.

Bingo.

We gave up nothing. Absolutely nothing. Avery was gone after the season regardless as others have stated, so getting morse and hoping he catches fire is really a win win.

If he catches fire and looks anything like the guy he was on the Nats, we hit a HR.

But if he fails, it cost us nothing besides a mil and a guy who was gone anyways. What's not to like?

Archived