Oh No Oh No Oh No (Machado injured)

JohnnyO'sFan

Exactly. An accident. A freak accident. He ran to 1B and slowed down as he neared the bag. That altered his stride and he came down on the back corner of the bag instead of stepping squarely on it. He slid off the edge of the bag and his knee buckled. It looked like his ankle may have also shifted on him. Hopefully the report later today will be optimistic.

I am hoping for the best for Manny.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's this for irony? Before the game yesterday, Machado was interviewed and he spoke about how he was excited about the prospect of playing the entire season this year.

“That would be great. I’d love to play 162 games,” Machado said Monday afternoon. “That’s my goal and that’s what they put me out there to do, go out there every day and show the world I can play and I can grind it out. It’s a long season and to play 162 games in the major leagues at such a young age is a great accomplishment that a lot of people can’t say that they’ve done.”

You quoted my post and said I personally attacked you. Please quote the post you intend to reply to, it helps to avoid confusion. So if you quoted the wrong post, please go fix it.
He had already responded to me. If he wasn't also responding to you why say this?
But why do you have to personally attack me for bringing up this point? Just because you have 12,000 posts and I have 500? So I must just be a troll, right?

And they lost. Anything can happen in a 1 game playoff. If that's what you think you obviously can't follow. They won with Macphail's players. This year they fought over Teagarden and who know's else? Our local media will never report, and that's just what we're given by Buck.

All I'm saying is lets not anoint these guys baseball gods until we see their results. You guys act like a knowledgeable baseball fan can't criticize Buck and DD. They're winning with Mcphail's players. You wanna give me Gonzalez or a washed up Mcclouth. C'mon now. We all laughed at the plan and now we're watching two guys that were out of baseball for a decade mismanage it.

We're not saying you can't criticize Buck and DD, we're saying you trying to blame what happened to Manny on anything but a freak accident that could have happened anytime is goofy. Criticize Buck and DD to your heart's content, but could you do it maybe in a thread where it's warranted?

I don't blame anyone for this injury, but after watching it several times I'm virtually certain fatigue is a piece of why it happened. I tore my medial meniscus and ACL in college in different incidents. Both were fatigue related. Basically, the quads get very tired and don't provide the same stability when you land on uneven surfaces. This appeared to be exactly what happened there.

Every orthopedic knee surgeon I've ever known (and I've seen a bunch of 20 years of knee issues) has told me that ACL injuries tend to happen due to muscle fatigue in several muscles, but most notably the quads.

I'm just bummed out of my mind for Manny and the team at this point.

You are an N of one. I think you would agree that many athletes who were as fatigued as you did not tear ligaments and that many athletes who do tear ligaments are not highly fatigued at the time. I greatly respect your opinions, but your "certainty" is extremely misguided in this case. Biology is not this simple.

Archived