Trade Target: Billy Butler, DH

andrewrickli

Thank goodness someone else sees this.

What is KC packaged a young arm with Butler who is under control and we worked out an extension with Butler?

Sure we are going to spend some cash, but if we can get an arm that will cost virtually the same as Schoop its just adding some payroll at that point. It's not as if we are giving up a cost controlled player for two albatross contracts.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It says Wieters OBP was sub .300, I don't know what you logic is in the lineup.

In order to score runs you have to get on base. Butler does that, and subsequently he scores more runs than someone with a .289 OBP.

Of course it does, that much is obvious.

What I was trying to show was that runs scored, like runs batted in, is to a degree team driven.

What is KC packaged a young arm with Butler who is under control and we worked out an extension with Butler?

Sure we are going to spend some cash, but if we can get an arm that will cost virtually the same as Schoop its just adding some payroll at that point. It's not as if we are giving up a cost controlled player for two albatross contracts.

Butler is going to cost too much to extend for what value he will bring as a DH.

It says Wieters OBP was sub .300, I don't know what you logic is in the lineup.

In order to score runs you have to get on base. Butler does that, and subsequently he scores more runs than someone with a .289 OBP.

Maybe I am confused. Doesn't Wieters catch?

Yeah. I don't see that.

In a vacuum I would make the trade - the Orioles need a hitter who gets on base to complement the strong collection of home run hitters.

That said, Schoop is essentially the only solid position prospect in the system. Because the Orioles do a horrific job of drafting and developing positional talent, they should not trade Schoop right now.

Maybe I am confused. Doesn't Wieters catch?

You're thinking catching is the reason for his .289 OBP?

I would say that's not the case. Last two years Yadier Molina had an OBP above .358, Russell Martin has a career .349, Posey is high, etc. It's not the position it's the player....

In a vacuum I would make the trade - the Orioles need a hitter who gets on base to complement the strong collection of home run hitters.

That said, Schoop is essentially the only solid position prospect in the system. Because the Orioles do a horrific job of drafting and developing positional talent, they should not trade Schoop right now.

We just drafted Chance Sisco and Josh Hart, two top prospects at least initially and Michael Ohlman is looking awesome. I think we might have someone special in Ohlman.

Ohlman is the same kid who flipped his car one morning during ST but was ok.

We just drafted Chance Sisco and Josh Hart, two top prospects at least initially and Michael Ohlman is looking awesome. I think we might have someone special in Ohlman.

He wasn't exactly OK, he did miss some time with a shoulder injury.

Thankfully it wasn't worse.

I like all these folks. They are in no way the equivalent of Jon Schoop. Nor can any of them other than Ohlman be traded.

You're thinking catching is the reason for his .289 OBP?

I would say that's not the case. Last two years Yadier Molina had an OBP above .358, Russell Martin has a career .349, Posey is high, etc. It's not the position it's the player....

No no. I meant add Butler, you still need a catcher.

Valencia is not close to being a FA. He has less than 3 year of ML service. FA need 6 years.

One year of Butler for 6 years of Schoop is a trade the O's would never make.

Maybe if everyone in the front office took a major concussion on the same day, they might do that. What would the odds be of that happening? 100 million to 1?

Archived