MacPhail On XM

33rdst

He has only made one trade recommendation to Angelos - that being the Tejada trade. When one comes along, Angelos, being the owner, will always have the right to veto it, but AM doesn't expect that to happen.

Interesting... this would contradict what Roch mentioned about the rumors of Angelos nixing a Roberts deal per Cubs sources

Right now, Luis Hernandez is the favorite for starting SS, but they would definitely like to see some competition, specifically from Fahey.

I just spit my coffee all over my monitor

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couple of notes from the interview:

1. He said that he would love to get a deal done on Roberts and Bedard, but that he's only 1/2 the equation (meaning the Mariners/Reds/Cubs have to agree as well)

2. He has only made one trade recommendation to Angelos - that being the Tejada trade. When one comes along, Angelos, being the owner, will always have the right to veto it, but AM doesn't expect that to happen.

3. Good pitching always beats good hitting - for all the problems we had last year, the O's were 19-9 when Bedard took the mound.

4. Right now, Luis Hernandez is the favorite for starting SS, but they would definitely like to see some competition, specifically from Fahey.

Oh lord....... I can't wait. What a joke. I might actually have to go to a Nationals game this year.

I don't believe PA did not nix a Roberts to Cubs deal. It just makes too much sense. Maybe the lower people in the warehouse don't know about this.

It would not surprise me at all......

There aren't really any good options for SS right now, unless we trade for one. If we don't, then I'm perfectly fine with Hernandez as our starting SS.
Of the options in-house, Hernandez is most likely the best choice (although Fahey certainly could outperform him).

Almost anybody we bring in from outside the organization would be a better option though, and I think we'll get someone back in a trade who will be our clear SS of the future.

Of the options in-house, Hernandez is most likely the best choice (although Fahey certainly could outperform him).

Almost anybody we bring in from outside the organization would be a better option though, and I think we'll get someone back in a trade who will be our clear SS of the future.

I agree with the first part. However I'm starting to seriously doubt any more trades will be made. I don't think the urgency is there. MacPhail seems comfortable keeping Bedard and Roberts on the team. Unless he is "Blown Away", I don't think that will happen. Just more promises the FO has failed to live up to. I'm not happy.... But what can I do?

[/b]

I agree with the first part. However I'm starting to seriously doubt any more trades will be made. I don't think the urgency is there. MacPhail seems comfortable keeping Bedard and Roberts on the team. Unless he is "Blown Away", I don't think that will happen. Just more promises the FO has failed to live up to. I'm not happy.... But what can I do?

You could calm down. I think its incredibly naive to think that MacPhail is happy to stand pat and not trade Bedard and Roberts despite receiving solid offers for them.

Blaming Angelos as interfering, while I think also incorrect, is at least rationally based. MacPhail knows he needs to trade Roberts and Bedard, he's just trying to get the most for them that he can.

You could calm down. I think its incredibly naive to think that MacPhail is happy to stand pat and not trade Bedard and Roberts despite receiving solid offers for them.

Blaming Angelos as interfering, while I think also incorrect, is at least rationally based. MacPhail knows he needs to trade Roberts and Bedard, he's just trying to get the most for them that he can.

So do you think EB will be the Orioles opening day starter? After 10 years of loosing, I think I have the right to be a little upset. I know MacPhail wants to move these guys...... I just would not be surprised to see them on the opening day roster. I hope I'm wrong.

So do you think EB will be the Orioles opening day starter? After 10 years of loosing, I think I have the right to be a little upset. I know MacPhail wants to move these guys...... I just would not be surprised to see them on the opening day roster. I hope I'm wrong.
I would still be surprised, and disappointed, to see him on the OD roster. Its a very risky decision to hold onto him, and I don't think the reward of that risk justifies the downside. However, it is certainly possible that we could get a much better package for Bedard in July than now. Again, not likely, IMO, but undeniably possible.

I still think both Bedard and Roberts are gone come OD (and ST, for that matter).

It's okay to have a defensive SS while we're rebuilding. Not every position will be filled with a future all-star unless you are Tampa Bay and you've guessed right on every first round draft pick in the past ten years. We know that's not the case with PA and his scrubs.

Of course he is......

Which is why I didn't even bother to go turn the XM on. :o

I am "speculated out".

Wake me up when a real transaction occurs.

Agreed. Although I have a feeling that our wait to wake up could be longer than Sleeping Beauty's.

4. Right now, Luis Hernandez is the favorite for starting SS, but they would definitely like to see some competition, specifically from Fahey.

Ugh I don't know what is more depressing about the statement, the fact that Hernandez is the favorite or that Fahey is suppose to provide competition. That's like asking if rather be punched in the left eye or right eye. Neither option is good.

You would think this would be cause to get a few more deals done so we could do something, but unfortunately the FO moves at the speed of a glaicer!

Interesting... this would contradict what Roch mentioned about the rumors of Angelos nixing a Roberts deal per Cubs sources

Actually it would seem to confirm what he said.

per Roch:

I’m told there are reports coming out of Chicago that Orioles owner Peter Angelos vetoed a trade that would have sent Brian Roberts to the Cubs. But everyone I’ve spoken with who would know say that’s nonsense.

Archived