Orioles have signed outfielder Francisco Peguero

Justinlstn

You do not believe he could if it fit into his budget that he could do it?

Not a chance. I think there are substantially more restrictions in play than a mere annual budget. I think something like that would have to go past the big guy and he would scrutinize the transaction like a trial attorney reviewing a settlement agreement (takes one to know one) rather than from the perspective of a seasoned baseball executive. But, I would really like to be way off base on my assumptions here.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a chance. I think there are substantially more restrictions in play than a mere annual budget. I think something like that would have to go past the big guy and he would scrutinize the transaction like a trial attorney reviewing a settlement agreement (takes one to know one) rather than from the perspective of a seasoned baseball executive. But, I would really like to be way off base on my assumptions here.

I believe that after the Vlad deal, Peter has kept his hands off the on-field product.

Wow, it's been so long. I don't doubt that PA is pretty hands off these days, I'm sure the O's manual on internal controls takes plenty of maneuvers off the table outright and give PA cover at the same time. Maybe I'm a skeptic after all these years under PA but I can even hear tinged of internal controls when DD speaks to the press. I think DD is a solid executive but there are certain things that are off limits under this owner. It's always been that way.

Peguero strikes me as a guy who is filling the Chris Dickerson/Jason Pridie role. He might see 100 PA in Baltimore this year, or he might spend the whole year in Norfolk. He's just a depth guy, nothing more or less.

I'm not so sure about this- DD has gone out of his way to talk Peguero up in the media several times now, and there's something in his tone that gives me the feeling that he's going to get a crack at the LF job along with Reimold and Urrutia.

Hopefully your assessment is the correct one though.

He talked up Valencia a lot last year and he started the year at Norfolk. I do think Peguero stands a decent chance to be the 4th OF. It would be quite the shock if he actually got a real chance to win the job. Gotta figure Reimold, Pearce, and Urrutia will be getting most of the spring AB's out there. Peguero is no lock to go to Norfolk either. He has to clear waivers first.

:agree: This. DD also talked up Treyvon and Casilla, too.

He talked up Valencia a lot last year and he started the year at Norfolk. I do think Peguero stands a decent chance to be the 4th OF. It would be quite the shock if he actually got a real chance to win the job. Gotta figure Reimold, Pearce, and Urrutia will be getting most of the spring AB's out there. Peguero is no lock to go to Norfolk either. He has to clear waivers first.

You're probably/hopefully right...

But we did sign him to an above-minimum Major League deal and DD has been raving about him.

The contract was 550K, I believe. What is major league minimum this year?

Looks like it was 495K last year. Probably a little higher this year.

I had seen $480K. Either way, DD was pretty gung-ho on getting the guy and has talked him up quite a bit in the media. I just get the feeling that he has real plans for him. Time will tell.

It's time to turn over a new leaf. I am predicting Francisco Peguero will turn out like Francisco Cabrera, who knocked in that dramatic run in the world series.

The name Francisco is a good omen.

Skip to 1:40 please.

If Francisco Rodriguez is KRod can we call our newbie KPeg? :slytf:

Archived